GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 1,540
1 members and 1,539 guests
MethrenLusia

Old 11-18-2002, 07:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to skjackee Send a message via Yahoo to skjackee
They don't, we're just guessing, thinking back on things that we may have done wrong, etc.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-18-2002, 10:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to HotDamnImAPhiMu
I think there's concern over a girl's being able to pay her dues. Especially now, when not all the ladies rushing are from Old South families, and Daddy doesn't pay every girl's way.

On my campus we ask a couple questions that at are designed to make the PNM think about if she can handle the financial responsibility -- but, we ask questions about if the PNM can handle the time, too.

If I'm rushing you and you mention that you have 3 jobs, 2 majors, on the basketball team, have and a boyfriend you spend all your time with.... I'll probably end up wondering if you can really spare the time.

Ditto if you tell me you're not working, Mom and Dad aren't supportive of GLOs, and you're involved in (insert high-cost activity here.) I'll probably wonder if you truly understand the financial obligation.

BUT -- in the end, it's your decision. If you're a sweet girl and you'd be a great asset to the sorority -- we'll put you on a payment plan, help you figure out a better time management plan, whatever it takes.
Old 11-19-2002, 09:29 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't have any interesting stories about my rush experience, but I can tell you some funny ones about girls who were going through rush when they came to our rush parties!

Most of the sororities at my school do the thing where they sit the PNM's on chairs/sofas and kneel in front of them, because there just isn't enough seating in any of the chapter rooms. So, I was kneeling in front of this one girl talking to her, and she had a short skirt on but was sitting like a guy! I mean, legs spread apart and I could see her underwear! I spent more time avoiding looking than having a good conversation with her. We actually did not cut her though, she ended up going elsewhere. She's a nice girl though, she's best friends with one of my sisters and we joke about that all time.

In another party, I was leading some PNM's to another room and we had to kind of stand in the hallway to wait for other people to pass. Well these 2 girls started talking trash about one of my sisters, while I was standing right next to them, and they weren't even trying to be quiet about it! It was pretty obvious at this point that neither of them were interested in us, but we didn't wait to find out-- we cut both of them that night.
Old 11-19-2002, 09:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
Quote:
Originally posted by SSS1365
Well these 2 girls started talking trash about one of my sisters, while I was standing right next to them, and they weren't even trying to be quiet about it! It was pretty obvious at this point that neither of them were interested in us, but we didn't wait to find out-- we cut both of them that night.
Oh, my gosh, that's awful! How rude. That reminds me of a girl who came through our rush this past fall. She was really cute, but once she opened her mouth, I changed my opinion quick. At first I thought she was just dingy (she asked about my DZ lavalier, and I told her my big sis had given it to me, then she looked confused and said that she thought only fraternity men gave out lavaliers--I mean, hello, the lavalier had MY letters!) but THEN I found out otherwise. When talking about her high school activities, she mentioned that she was on the track team because she wanted to watch all the hot guys on the team and that the coach let her stay even though she never participated. Mmm-hmm. All the people who talked to her wanted to cut her and made this very clear to Invitation Committee, but for some reason she kept getting invited back. Well, finally Pref rolls around, and she shows up looking incredibly bored. She then proceeds to badger the sister who's preffing her, repeatedly asking exactly what number she is on our bid list and wanting to know whether or not she's getting a bid. During the Pref ceremony, she sits slumped in her chair, picking petals off the rose we gave her. Then after the ceremony, she starts up again with the "What number am I on the bid list?" thing. Thank God she went to another house.
Old 11-20-2002, 09:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KappaKittyCat
Quote:
She then proceeds to badger the sister who's preffing her, repeatedly asking exactly what number she is on our bid list and wanting to know whether or not she's getting a bid. During the Pref ceremony, she sits slumped in her chair, picking petals off the rose we gave her. Then after the ceremony, she starts up again with the "What number am I on the bid list?" thing.

And that's about all I have to say about that.
Old 11-20-2002, 11:53 AM
GreekChat Member

I think it is really funny when the rushees ask if they join the house can the mascot change or your sorority's colors.
Yes, please let us accomodate your specific needs
Old 11-20-2002, 01:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AXJules

But definitely the other side of Rush has given me stories I'll tell for the rest of my life. My soph year, there was a girl who was like, I luv AX so much, I really really wanna be your sister, you are like the coolest person I've met today, etc....can I go to the bathroom??" A Rho Chi took her to the bathroom, and she CLIMBED OUT OF A WINDOW AND RAN ACROSS OUR LAWN!! She told her PX later that she felt 'freaked out by our wallpaper'. Ohhhh kayyyyyy..........
CTFU!!!!! I almost fell outta my chair at this one!! Freaked out by the wallpaper? What was it????? *lol* CTFU!!!!

OMGoodness please tell me more!
Old 11-20-2002, 03:41 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Honeykiss1974

CTFU!!!!! I almost fell outta my chair at this one!! Freaked out by the wallpaper? What was it????? *lol* CTFU!!!!

OMGoodness please tell me more!
Bless your little baby heart for finding this as funny as I did!!! I have been telling people about the rushee climbing out the window for a couple weeks now, and either people don't believe me or they think it's dumb.

I thought it was hilarious!!

honeychile

ps - good to see you!
Old 11-20-2002, 04:39 PM
GreekChat Member

I just wanted to add that I adore this thread... it's too funny!
Old 11-20-2002, 04:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Ok a little more explanation on the wallpaper thing....we have no idea!!!! She climbed out a window, one of the Rho Chi's chased her down and she was rattling off all these different excuses....the walls were closing in, the wallpaper looked like it was going to eat her(they're FLOWERS) it was too hot, she didn't want to come to us anyway, etc etc. Sounds like she had a panic attack.
Not trying to make fun of her but I thought it was hilarious.
Old 11-20-2002, 05:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Murfreesboro, TN - It's Great .. to be .. from Middle Tennessee
I had a friend that went through rush this fall and there was only one soroity that she did NOT want to join. So when she went to that chapter room, she did all the classic "don't" she was told about before rush. She mentioned how good she would look in their letter, she commented on how "greek" thier letters looked as apposed to other soroities', I think she even asked about changing the colors of the sorority. When I heard about that I about fell over laughing. Needless to say she was not invited back to their party the next night.
Old 11-20-2002, 07:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I had a friend that went through rush this fall and there was only one soroity that she did NOT want to join. So when she went to that chapter room, she did all the classic "don't" she was told about before rush. She mentioned how good she would look in their letter, she commented on how "greek" thier letters looked as apposed to other soroities', I think she even asked about changing the colors of the sorority. When I heard about that I about fell over laughing. Needless to say she was not invited back to their party the next night.
You thief.

Crystal
Old 11-20-2002, 09:18 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by AXJules
Ok a little more explanation on the wallpaper thing....we have no idea!!!! She climbed out a window, one of the Rho Chi's chased her down and she was rattling off all these different excuses....the walls were closing in, the wallpaper looked like it was going to eat her(they're FLOWERS) it was too hot, she didn't want to come to us anyway, etc etc. Sounds like she had a panic attack.
Not trying to make fun of her but I thought it was hilarious.
I still think this is the winner! I simply cannot imagine being an ANY party that was so bad, I had to crawl out the window!!

Well, barring a party where I could be harmed, that is. This is just TOO FUNNY!!!

honeychile
Old 11-21-2002, 12:51 AM
GreekChat Member

One of my good friends was cut from a sorority, she swears this is the reason, but I asked some of the actives in this sorority and they said they don't remember this and they would have thought it was funny....

While she was waiting ouside the house, she was exausted. (Walking up and down the row in the Louisiana heat is horrible) She decided to sit in the grass. She finally made it into the house and started talking. She went, "Ouch." The sister kind of looked at her and asked what was the matter. She said, "I was sitting in the grass and an ant must have crawled up my dress and it just bit me on the butt."
Old 11-21-2002, 09:44 AM
GreekChat Member

My two stories.....

I once did COB with this one sorority a long time ago. The first event I went to was ice skating. Now, ice skating is great - lots of fun. The problem is that I was a competitive figure skater for 10 years. Call me an "skating snob" if you like, but I absolutely refuse to wear rental skates. I'd probably hurt myself expecting to skate well on the manky dull rental skate blades. :P

Now, I *wasn't* rude or anything when I showed up, but I brought my pair of skates with me. Some of the girls thought it was really neat that I used to skate. But I just get the feeling that maybe others thought I was trying to show off. That and only about 6-8 members actually skated, the rest just sat in the bleachers and watched. They weren't very good conversationalists. The members only stuck in a little clique and didn't really talk to the PNMs at all. So, I got bored and started skating around by myself. I'm sure that really won them over. (hey, they ignored us PNMs for most of all of the events).

My other experience was when I was invited as a special guest to the spring informal recruitment of the sorority I'm pursuing alumna initiation with. I had this really cute outfit planned: tailored charcoal gray blouse with a black skirt, gray and white pearl bracelet and my favorite black heels.

I had stopped by my university first to do something before leaving for the other university (where the chapter is located). My campus is on a giant sloping hill. As I walked I noted that my feet were *killing* me for some reason. My heels weren't new or anything. It got so bad that I just *had* to change shoes when I got home. Unfortunately, I'm not the kind of girl who has a closet full of shoes. I had nothing else that would match the outfit, I didn't have anything else to wear, and I didn't have any spare time to run out shoe shopping.

I considered wearing my heels anyway, but then I remembered that the campus I was going to was at the top of a REALLY steep hill where there is a *gigantic* set of stairs. I just whimpered at the thought of having to wear the shoes to that campus. So, I did it: I committed a major fashion faux pas. I HAD to! I wore the only other reasonably matching pair of shoes I had - these dorky black flats that I normally wear with trousers to work.

I looked lame, but I was so out of time and my feet hurt so bad.

I got to the event and was having a great time talking to the members when someone mentioned "Hey look! I just bought the cutest pair of shoes!" All of a sudden, everybody was holding up their feet and talking about their shoes! Oh noooooo! I kinda felt obligated to share, so I figured I better pipe up and volunteer to say something before anyone asks (or looks). I said something like "Oh! Funny you should mention shoes...ha ha ha...I had this really cute pair of heels on earlier but, for some reason, I had such a hard time with them. And ha ha ha wouldn't you know it, I ended up wearing these silly old things...ha ha ha..always such trouble with shoes...." They then sorta looked at me with blank expressions.

I don't know! I was nervous!

It's all good because we all still had a good time anyway and this sorority would like me to get in touch with them when I get home from England next year. So, I guess they don't judge by the merit of one's shoes!

.....Kelly