GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,853
1 members and 1,852 guests
Titchou

Old 03-05-2018, 10:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Herff Jones production times?

What is everyone averaging? My daughter is 4+ months out from Initiation and no sign of badges for her chapter.

I’ve read how collegians aren’t as into wearing their badges anymore. Well no wonder—they don’t have them!
Old 03-06-2018, 03:11 AM
GreekChat Member

For my chapter, badges usually don't come in until the next semester. This year my university has moved to deferred recruitment, so I assume our whole PC will be waiting until next school year to receive their badges. It's definitely frustrating, especially given so many new members choose to order the basic badge option, rather than a more complicated one.
Old 03-06-2018, 11:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Frustrating. HJ should do better. I wonder if ΔΓ and other orgs who use different suppliers have the same issues?
Old 03-06-2018, 01:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Delta Gamma is moving to HJ. There were evidently some quality control issues with the previous vendor. I wonder when the above badges were ordered? Some don’t order till after initiation so that could be a reason.
Old 03-06-2018, 02:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APhi2KD View Post
I’ve read how collegians aren’t as into wearing their badges anymore. Well no wonder—they don’t have them!
I am afraid that is becoming true all around for both Men/Women.

LXA for some years charged $10.00 in ritual fees for a basic cheapy badge as part of the package. Amazing guys still did not wear them!

Lamenting the days when we were Proud to wear our Colors, names, and badges.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 03-06-2018, 04:30 PM
GreekChat Member

My daughter's chapter uses J. Brandt for their pins. The new members ordered their badges 5 weeks before initiation, and they arrived in time to receive them at initiation. I don't know about any quality issues, but their turnaround time was very fast.
Old 03-06-2018, 05:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Delta Gamma is moving to HJ. There were evidently some quality control issues with the previous vendor. I wonder when the above badges were ordered? Some don’t order till after initiation so that could be a reason.
I think there have been a couple of threads here where members complained of poor quality control with HJ. So, Delta Gamma may not be getting any better service from HJ.

True and Constant
Old 03-06-2018, 06:27 PM
Super Moderator

Herff Jones quality control is a lot to be desired.
Old 03-06-2018, 06:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Agree. I wish we would switch away from HJ.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:18 PM
GreekChat Member

I know that Pi Phi has a stockpile of badges already pre-made. It only took 2 weeks for them to engrave my daughter's and send it to her chapter in time for initiation. They include a gold-filled "basic cheapy badge" (lol, Tom) with the new member fees, so the numbers of new members who spring for a solid gold or jeweled badge may be limited and manageable. Also, they only offer a limited number of choices. We have so many customization options, it would be really hard to have a stockpile. It takes several months for our new members' badges to arrive after ordering through H-J.

AND, remember how Delta Delta Delta had their stockpile stolen in that employee theft a couple years ago? So, there are downsides to keeping a stockpile.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to flirt5721
It usually takes a semester or so for our chapter to get their Quills. For some reason for the small orders of 5 or less they always seem to lose them.

"The Pen is Mightier Than the Sword"
Land of Entrapment has me again
Old 03-06-2018, 08:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Long-time GC posters know of my struggle getting HJ to fix a poorly-made ADPi badge. I ordered in October, received it in February, and sent it back and forth more than once without them fixing the problem (crooked hands on the badge) before my mom and I brought it to their factory in Rhode Island physically to get it fixed. And I was looking at it when I had it out for badge day yesterday and the hands still aren't perfectly even.

At this point, with the exception of limited-edition badges, I'm not planning on ever ordering a new one again. Buy vintage. The quality has been so cheap that my badge doesn't even feel worth keeping as an heirloom.
Old 03-06-2018, 09:39 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
AND, remember how Delta Delta Delta had their stockpile stolen in that employee theft a couple years ago? So, there are downsides to keeping a stockpile.
What ever happened with that?
Old 03-06-2018, 09:46 PM
GreekChat Member

It’s just unacceptable and frustrating so many organizations are using them. My daughter’s chapter did wait to order until initiation and I DO understand some production time for engraving, etc. But you don’t have to be a marketing genius to estimate which badges you’ll need the most of.
ADPi, ZTA, and others that have endless (and wonderful!) options are one thing, but many orgs are limited enough to have the majority pre-produced.

Not to mention the pictures on the website are horrible.
Old 03-07-2018, 02:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Our new members order theirs the first week I believe, or at least we did when I was a new member, along with a one-time new member fee payable by money order or check. So they order them, get initiated 6ish weeks later, but still wait the whole semester. It's kind of ironic, since Badge Day is in March and many new initiates won't have badges to wear.