GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,462
1 members and 2,461 guests
Xidelt

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-16-2003, 03:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Interracial Relationships

I was raised in an ostensibly very liberal family of East-coast, Irish/Italian Catholic Democrats. I was raised to have a strong indentification with my own ethnic and religious heritage, but to turn a blind eye to ethnic and religious differences - to have Irish pride, but not to discriminate against anyone whose heritage differed from mine.

That said, I suddenly find myself in a strange situation. Two weeks ago I met this really sweet guy - he is an African-American member of a GLO. I ran into him on Thursday and he invited me to his fraternity's formal, which was last night. I accepted and had a wonderful time, but I am getting the impression that this guy wants something more with me than just a formal date - he invited me out to lunch with him this week and seems to really like me. I keep hearing about how he's an amazing guy and an incredibly nice person.

Clearly, it's a little early to start telling my parents anything, but they are going to be curious as to how I spent my Valentine's Day - and when I thought today about having this conversation with them (they are on vacation and returning tomorrow), I realized something. My gut instinct tells me that my father - who has always preached tolerance and overlooking differences - may have a different reaction in a situation involving his daughter in an interracial relationship.

Personally, I have no problem with interracial or interreligious dating - but I am feeling really weird at my own perception of how I am expecting my father to react.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation before? How do you guys feel about interracial relationships?

(BTW, I did run a search first... there was nothing dealing explicitly with this in the archives)