GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Beta > Beta Sigma Phi
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 1,526
1 members and 1,525 guests
navane

Old 02-28-2013, 10:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Interested?

So in researching "non-traditional" GLOs I stumbled across Beta Sigma Phi

I'm trying to glean information about the organization via the magical interwebs but not having as much luck as I would like.

Can someone help me out and explain a little bit about the process of becoming a ΒΣΦ? From what I understand off the website you just sign up and pay and badda boom thats it congrats?

This seems a bit strange to me and unlike anything I've ever experienced from a greek organization before. Could someone clarify for me?

What is your new member education program like? Is there one?

Also where can I find a list of chapters? I see a dot on the website right in my hometown but have no way of accessing it and finding out if its a chapter I would be interested in.

Any other information would be welcome too! I'm quite eager to learn more!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-28-2013, 11:28 PM
GreekChat Member

First, Beta Sigma Phi is unlike any other Greek organization that I have encountered.

Membership in Beta Sigma Phi is by invitation only. The online enrollment option is available, but it is to be used by women who have been extended an invitation by a chapter. When using the online system, a chapter number must be submitted for the enrollment to be complete. In some circumstances, International will allow a woman to join as a "member-at-large" unaffiliated with a chapter. In those cases, the invitation is presented directly from International, rather than from a specific chapter. This is usually only done when the member has an interest in establishing a new chapter, or no appropriate chapter is available in the woman's geographic area. It is always International's first desire to pair a woman with a chapter.

A woman can also join an online chapter, and she must be extended an invitation from the chapter. Not all of our online chapters allow non-members to apply for online membership as new pledges. My chapter only recently allowed this practice. In my online chapter, a potential member must visit two monthly meetings and participate in the "chapter chatter" for both months. The whole membership then examines her application, considers her participation over the two months, and then casts a ballot for or against extending an invitation. (Beta Sigma Phi is not a secret society, so I am not revealing anything confidential is saying so.)

We still call our "new members" pledges , and yes, we have a six month education program. We have two books called The Book of Beta Sigma Phi and Invitation to Life. A member is only ready for The Ritual of Jewels (sort of like our "initiation") when she has completed the study of these two books under the guidance of the chapter's Vice President and has participated in a full six months of cultural programming. That is usually a total of 9 programs conducted by her chapter. I say usually because every BSP chapter is supposed to have 18 programs per year, so in six months, a chapter would cover approximately 9 programs. The stucture of the pledge training, as we call it, is clearly defined, but chapters can have some freedom to add in games and other activities to make the process fun.

The International website has a chapter locator, but chapter contact doesn't happen through the website. You can contact International to say that you are interested in membership. International then gives your contact information to the Vice Presidents of the chapters near you. It is up to them to contact you when they are rushing. Some chapters rush year round, so it is never a "bad time" to get in touch!

I hope that helps. I'm happy to answer any other questions.
Order of the Rose recipient
Old 02-28-2013, 11:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes!! Thank you that is soooo helpful!

Do you have any advice on how to engage interest in an online chapter? I am graduating college all too soon I said I'm not really sure where I'll land so this might be a better option to explore for me.

Can I explore this as well as the potential of the chapter located in my home town? (I might end up there upon graduation who knows...?)

Whats it like to be be in an online chapter? Do you still feel as connected to your sisters without the "home base"?

Sorry for all the questions! I'm guess I'm just excited!
Old 03-02-2013, 03:36 PM
GreekChat Member

I love your enthusiasm!

You can visit the websites for online chapters and see which ones catch your attention. They are listed here: http://www.betajournal.com/betajrnl.htm You need to scroll down to find the online chapters. Each of the websites will most likely have contact information.

You have the option of submitting your membership application before meeting the online chapters because you will be required to join the International organization, but it is okay to check out the chapters first. If they decide to invite you to join, you'll simply have to do the International paperwork.

Not all online chapters allow women who are pledging the sorority for the first time to join. You'll just have to ask. When communicating with the chapters, be sure that you are clear about being a non-member at this time.

Yes, it is okay to look at the local chapter and online chapters at the same time.

I'm sure every online chapter has a different atmosphere, but I feel extremely close to many of my online sisters. I write to them several times per week about everything in my life, and I read messages from the members every single day. We are literally in touch 24/7. In a lot of ways, I feel closer to some of these women than any of the sorority sisters that I have known face-to-face. When you share the most personal and emotional parts of your life--even in writing--bonds form. Our members have gone through cancer, the loss of a spouse, trouble with raising kids, accidents, marriages, college graudations, and on and on.

I've been in the same online chapter for TEN YEARS, and I consider these women to be among my dearest friends. Now, not everyone participates frequently, so of course, I don't feel close to the ladies who only "attend" meetings but rarely chat. And online chapters have their own difficulties, too. There are often misunderstandings, and feelings can be hurt when things aren't worded well.

Online members can still attend conventions and even local fomal events. For example, I am going to a "real" Founders Day celebration in April with a sister who lives about 90 minutes from me. I absolutely cannot wait!
Order of the Rose recipient
Old 07-19-2013, 03:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Interested

Hi everyone!

I've been looking into community based sororities and my research
Has lead me to Beta Sigma Phi.

I was wondering if you guys could shed some light about the new member process?

I'm also a member of Alpha Sigma Alpha sorority, can I also join Beta Sigma Phi?

Thank you in advance for your input and advice!
Jen
Old 07-19-2013, 04:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by racoonrevolutio View Post
Hi everyone!

I've been looking into community based sororities and my research
Has lead me to Beta Sigma Phi.

Excellent!

I was wondering if you guys could shed some light about the new member process?

Does your question refer to: As in how to pursue membership or as in what new members do during their first several months as sisters?

I'll answer both:

If you are interested in Beta, you can either:

A: Contact the International Offices and they will pass your information on to chapter(s) that are located in your area. Chapter(s) will contact you and you may be invited to join by them.

B: Start your own chapter with six or more like minded friends.

My story: I was originally invited to join Beta by members in my hometown, decided to remain a member at large, and went the Option B route in starting a chapter.

New members of Beta spend time learning about the organization during their six months as pledges. How chapters do this is uniform in some ways, but in the end is really chapter specific. In my own chapter, we studied the materials issued by international as a chapter since we were all pledges at the same time, but also had other activities (cultural outings, socials with other Beta chapters in our area) that International requires all chapters to do and activities that our Beta City Council asked (but did not require) that we participate in.

I'm also a member of Alpha Sigma Alpha sorority, can I also join Beta Sigma Phi?

Yes, you can!

Thank you in advance for your input and advice!

Not a problem! Feel free to ask any other questions that you like.
Jen
Hope this helps!

Old 07-19-2013, 11:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you your help Misscherrypie!