GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,431
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zsamuljunior205
» Online Users: 2,380
1 members and 2,379 guests
Low D Flat

Old 06-29-2007, 01:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Active Member vs Alum Letter of Rec Question

I am sorry if this question has already been posted/answered and I did not look hard enough to find it!

I am in the process of helping my best friend's younger sister prepare for rush at a very competitive southern school. We are right now identifying potential rec letter writers. I went to a school where letters of rec were not required and common. My question is, do you feel that it is more important to get letters written by alums or do they carry the same weight as a letter from an active member?

I don't want to find a bunch of active members to write letters only to find them not taken seriousy when I could be working harder to find alums for her

Thank you!
Old 06-29-2007, 01:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Some sororities do not allow actives to write recs. Keep that in mind. (Whoever you find to write one should know [or be able to find out] their sorority's policy)

Also, if it's VERY competitive, I would try to get as many ALUM recs as possible.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:46 PM
GreekChat Member

In order of priority:
1) alums from the school little sister is going to
2) alums from other schools
3) active members

Possibly active members from little sister's school would hold as much weight as alums, but again, not all groups allow actives to write recs.

But if you do know actives from Little Sister's school, it might not be a bad idea to at least introduce her to them (provided silence has not already kicked in).

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Old 06-29-2007, 04:43 PM
GreekChat Member

If it's a competitive southern school, the recs should come from alum. If you have friends in other sororities who are collegians that can help you, they can certainly help put you in touch with their alumnae.
Old 06-29-2007, 04:51 PM
GreekChat Member

And I might add that if you have options, I think it's best to have the rec written by someone who actually KNOWS the pnm.

I've never seen that "in order of priority" before, though. When getting recs, we have always put priority with a recommendation from an alum who knows you personally, and if they are from the same chapter it's a bonus. Personally, if I was going to UGA, I would not get a rec from an XYZ at UGA who doesn't know me over an XYZ from Alabama who knows me well.

But that's just my opinion. Anybody else know more about this?
Old 06-29-2007, 06:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUBlue&Blue View Post
I've never seen that "in order of priority" before, though. When getting recs, we have always put priority with a recommendation from an alum who knows you personally, and if they are from the same chapter it's a bonus. Personally, if I was going to UGA, I would not get a rec from an XYZ at UGA who doesn't know me over an XYZ from Alabama who knows me well.

But that's just my opinion. Anybody else know more about this?
If I had the choice, I would get BOTH in that scenario. Since my little sister and her group of girls (who will always be 9 or 10 years old in my eyes) are all rushing this fall, most of them at UGA but some at other competitive campuses in the south, I have been encouraging them to try to get recs from on campus alumnae, but if they can get one from an on campus alum and one from someone who knows them better (unless the on campus alum knows them well), then they're covering their bases with both 1 and 2 (according to to that priority list). That way, if the chapter gives special priority to on campus alumnae they have the best of both worlds.
Old 06-30-2007, 03:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Personally, if I was going to UGA, I would not get a rec from an XYZ at UGA who doesn't know me over an XYZ from Alabama who knows me well.
I agree that it is probably good to have a rec writer who know the PNM, and that it is good to have more than one rec at SEC schools, so it would be better to get both in that case.

However, JaimeNicole went to Maryland and is from Maryland, so a good deal of her contacts are going to be from a very different campus culture than this SEC school. Would it be better to have 2 recs from up women up North who know the PNM well, or 2 recs from strangers in the SEC?

Let's assume she's aiming for 2 recs per chapter, and there are two women up North who know this PNM well. Which scenario is better:

1. Should the southern AP only be used to "fill in the gaps" where contacts can not be found through one's own network? This would mean that the PNM would only use the recs from the women up North.

2. Or should there definitely at least one rec writer from the same school (or similar campus culture) regardless of how many northern contacts this PNM has?
This would mean the PNM would get one from each, or both northern contacts, plus a southern rec from a local AP.

Last edited by violetpretty; 06-30-2007 at 03:28 PM.
Old 06-30-2007, 03:49 PM

I also went to a school where recs were uncommon. In my time as an active, I never saw even one.

Some sororities don't allow actives to write recs, and for those that do (if I'm not mistaken), the active has to be from a different chapter.

I'd say it's best to get recs from women who know the PNM well. A sister is a sister whether she went to LSU or UConn. And if the choice is between an active who knows the PNM well and an alum who doesn't know her as well - get both. Two recs would be overkill at my school, but not at competitive southern schools.
Old 06-30-2007, 04:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aephi alum View Post
Some sororities don't allow actives to write recs, and for those that do (if I'm not mistaken), the active has to be from a different chapter.
For Delta Gamma, any active may write a rec. I know that the rule you speak of exists for some sororities, though I don't know which ones.

I would still suggest two recs for each chapter, one from a contact who knows the PNM and one from an on campus contact (if possible). Some chapters may care where the alum is from and some may just need a rec that's going to tell them the most about the rushee, but this way both bases are covered.

Last edited by dgdramadawg; 06-30-2007 at 04:53 PM.
Old 06-30-2007, 05:34 PM
GreekChat Member

I was just talking with my daughter's best friend's mother today and we were going over the list, and as luck would have it, in most cases there were enough options that we were able to find someone who knows her and also went to UGA.

Would you get more than one rec if that was the case?
Old 06-30-2007, 07:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I was just talking with my daughter's best friend's mother today and we were going over the list, and as luck would have it, in most cases there were enough options that we were able to find someone who knows her and also went to UGA.

Would you get more than one rec if that was the case?
If she had two recs to a chapter it wouldn't hurt her, especially from on campus alumnae.
Old 07-01-2007, 02:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
For Phi Mu, an active member may not write a recommendation.

Maybe this is a list we should compile and archive somewhere.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:16 PM
GreekChat Member

interesting topic...makes me wonder about No-Recs though. Completely (haha) hypothetical scenario - If you were at a school where a PNM caused problems - problems so bad that even the greek advisor said she was bad news, and you caught wind that she was tansferring to another school with your organization - would it be appropriate for the chapter president to send a No-Rec to the new chapter? or should it still be by an alum? Thoughts?
Old 07-03-2007, 12:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda6035 View Post
interesting topic...makes me wonder about No-Recs though. Completely (haha) hypothetical scenario - If you were at a school where a PNM caused problems - problems so bad that even the greek advisor said she was bad news, and you caught wind that she was tansferring to another school with your organization - would it be appropriate for the chapter president to send a No-Rec to the new chapter? or should it still be by an alum? Thoughts?
I would say that it was appropriate for ANY sister to send a letter to the other chapter, whether it be a formal Letter Of Concern/No Rec or an email saying "Hey, this girl is no good". Although, I do think that valid concerns should be addressed, not something like "She wore a navy blouse with black pants" or something personal and petty like "She looked at Suzy Sister's boyfriend".
Old 07-03-2007, 12:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
I would say that it was appropriate for ANY sister to send a letter to the other chapter, whether it be a formal Letter Of Concern/No Rec or an email saying "Hey, this girl is no good". Although, I do think that valid concerns should be addressed, not something like "She wore a navy blouse with black pants" or something personal and petty like "She looked at Suzy Sister's boyfriend".
I wasn't thinking about anything THAT insignificant. Serious concerns. I wont go into detail because I'm talking about a "supposed" hypothetical situation. But if it were a serious enough concern, I would think that an active chapter president who could speak more from experience in this kind of situation would have more leverage than an alum who had the "he said she said" side of the story, ya know?