GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Alumni Involvement
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,338
2 members and 2,336 guests
Cookiez17, flamboyanttree

Old 10-31-2006, 02:09 PM
GreekChat Member

How do people react when you mention you are involved as an alum

I was wondering if anyone here faces odd reactions from people when you mention that you are involved with your alum chapter. Mine is putting together goody bags for a women's shelter and I have asked several friends and family members for ideas/item donations (trial size items like you get in hotels), and they react like I am speaking another language.

I will be working on a few service projects with my alum chapter and I know that I am going to run into people or mention it, for example if they ask me what my plans are for a certain day.

I need to add that no one in my family and very few of my friends in my home state (where I moved back to) are Greek.

Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-08-2006, 03:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Interesting thought.

I am still very involved as many of My Chapter Alums are and we are proud to tell people about it.

I have many Alums come in my store and we talk Greek and most are still involved with both the GLO and School.

I am the only one in my whole family that have been in a GLO and they were proud of the fact.

Don't hang your head, be proud!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 11-08-2006, 03:36 PM
GreekChat Member

I have lived all over the US and remained (for the most part) active as an alum. I have worked in offices ranging from several 1000 co-workers to under 20-- each time I have worked with Greeks and they think it is hilarious and/or odd that I have chosen to stay involved as an alumna. I have only ever encountered one other co-worker who was active as an adviser of her sorority and involved with her AA.
Old 11-09-2006, 04:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

Yes, my mother keeps asking me when I'm going to grow up and quit that sorority. **Honestly! ** I enjoy it, I like meeting and working with sisters from other chapters, and I've been an active alum WAY longer than I was a collegiate. So...what!
It all goes back to new member education (which I think is too short but that's another thread).
Old 11-09-2006, 05:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sageofages
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
Yes, my mother keeps asking me when I'm going to grow up and quit that sorority. **Honestly! ** I enjoy it, I like meeting and working with sisters from other chapters, and I've been an active alum WAY longer than I was a collegiate. So...what!
It all goes back to new member education (which I think is too short but that's another thread).

My mother was the same way until May 2005 (see "prayers for mr sageofages" thread)....My Phi Mu sisters were there for me in a BIG way (and you GC'ers as well). NOW, Mom "gets" it...she gets it enough that she is encouraging my neices to "consider that sorority thing like Aunt Sageofages" when you go to college.
Old 11-09-2006, 06:19 PM
GreekChat Member

My parents are very supportive of my continued involvement with my collegiate chapter - they know how much I miss being in the thick of things up there! My med school classmates, however, are largely puzzled by it. Why would you take weekend trips up to UF for things like sorority recruitment or initiation when you could be studying?
Old 11-15-2006, 12:06 PM
GreekChat Member

I am actively involved with my Alumnae Association and have been advising a chapter since 2004. Strangely enough, I find that fraternity alumni are the most interested/respectful about the time that I put in! I find that those who think that it is strange or a waste of time are those who aren't involved with any type of activity or community service groups. I loved my collegiate experience, and I am getting more than I could have ever imagined out of my alumna experience.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:34 PM
GreekChat Member

It is of no surprise to people when I tell them because it's kind of like "you better be living your lifetime commitment." Yet people still smile and want to know what my alumnae chapter is doing.

For many organizations it is expected for us to be involved at the alum level. When I meet NPHCers, for example, I expect for them to not only be able to tell me their chapter and year of initiation but to often mention their alum/grad chapter affiliation or if they are financially a member-at-large. I've even had NPHCers come at me wrong if they assumed I graduated 7 years ago and haven't contributed to my organization since.

Of course this expectation is especially the case with my Sorors. Over the past 7 years I've been involved in making sure Sorors who aren't financial and active are reclaimed either as a member-at-large or through alumnae chapter affiliation.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator

I get more "aggravation" when I use the word Greek, as opposed to my sorority alumnae association. Most non-greeks don't seem to understand that terminology around here.
Old 11-15-2006, 04:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Maybe it is not what WE have missed but what THEY have missed!

They do not understand because they were never envolved in anything bigger than themselves.

There really is a lot bigger world out there or I would not have had the opportunity to meet so many neat people from all over and so many different walks of life!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 11-15-2006, 04:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Earp View Post
They do not understand because they were never envolved in anything bigger than themselves.
Terrible assumption. You know that GLOs aren't the only organizations to belong to.
Old 11-15-2006, 06:05 PM

If it's a guy he usually asks me to hook him up with some hot sorority girls!
Old 11-15-2006, 09:24 PM
GreekChat Member

My boyfriend is aggravated by it, and when I mention doing things with my alumnae group, he's like "oh jeez" or "give it a rest, college is over." Funny thing is, he was (and I do mean, was) in a fraternity!

I haven't been out of college for very long, but this is my first year joining the alumnae group and I like it a lot so far. My family doesn't think it is odd, but I'm sure some of my sisters would think it is, while others would say, "oh good for you." There are a handful that are really involved with advising other chapters nearby, so we can relate.
Kappa Alpha Theta "The Fraternity was always second in my mind to coeducation. It was organized to help the girls win out in their fight to stay in college on a man's campus. We had to make a place for women in a man's world, and the Fraternity was one means to that bigger end." -Bettie Locke Hamilton
Old 11-15-2006, 10:16 PM
GreekChat Member

I generally get "You do that as a volunteer? For free???" I guess "I oversee 24 of our chapters in the Northeast" sounds like a full time job.. and some weeks, it feels like one!

Generally, the people that I call "joiners" think it's neat, as do some moms of daughters who have gone Greek and have seen the benefits first hand. The people who are not "joiners" and just aren't into belonging to organizations at all think it's weird. Most do ask me if I get paid though.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow, thanks so much for these replies!

I should add that my (non-greek) husband thinks it's great. He loves it when I wear my letters and tells me he is proud of my commitment. And this is 10 years post-graduation.

As an aside, I was reading through some of my "old" new member material and some of what I read just really hit me. I am very proud to be part of GSS.

You all made me smile, and today I really needed it. I am glad I joined GC.