GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,290
2 members and 2,288 guests
Pinkmagnolia921, Xidelt

Old 02-11-2000, 07:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Skype™ to SilverTurtle
Red face

BIG CRIMSON GUY: What a dilema! Here's my advice, hope it offers a good perspective. When I read your initial post I got the following impression:

You have had an interest in a specific BGLO, maybe even had your heart set upon it, for some time. You even took the time to research its history, which only made you more interested in it. Then when you met your potential brothers, they let you down a great deal. Which would cause you to question the national organization a bit (why do the brothers have such a low GPA, etc.), but still have respect for the national organization and its history.

At the same time, you happened to meet another bunch of guys in another GLO. You didn't have much interest, but as you spent time with the brothers, you began to grow to respect them a great deal. I don't know how much, if any, you have researched this GLO. If you haven't, you probably should.
-------
So, here's the advice part finally

Your basic choice is between 2 things: 1) Do you want brothers you can have fun with and respect for the next couple of years, and then as an alumni for life
2) Do you want brothers who you can't respect in your own chapter, but you have a great deal of respect for their past and the national organization? And for the rest of your life you will be able to say 'I am a *BGLO letters here*'

If you respect both organizations nationally and historically, then maybe you would be just as proud, if not more so, to say you are a *fill in 'white' GLO letters here* in 30 years.

It seems to me that if you truly want to be a brother of the BGLO, you should wait for a graduate chapter. You could join now, but if you're the only brother interested in reviving the chapter, it probably won't work well. And that will just lower your morale about the whole organization. And if the brothers aren't interested in frat life for the same reasons you are, and you don't have much respect for them as a chapter, you're not going to like calling them brothers.

In your 2cnd post, you said you're a Carpe Diem kind of guy. If you're more interested in being greek right now, as an undergrad, then go w/ the guys you could respect as brothers (assuming you respect the national GLO's purpose, etc.) It sounds like you would kind of really like to become a brother here, but feel like you'll be 'selling out' if you give up on the BGLO.

I had absolutey no intentions of becoming Greek, and my sophomore year I went to a rush party w/ a friend, and now I can't imagine what it would have been like without my frat. I absolutely loved the brothers and sisters AND everything the fraternity stands for.

Your choice isn't easy, but I hope you make the decision you'll be happiest with! Good luck!

Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-06-2000, 01:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Question

I'm currently looking at a predominately black soroity, and I am white. Many of the females on campus in this soroity are aware that I am interested. I am a little unsure of how they feel about my interest. I feel this is the right soroity for me and I am willing to work hard. How can I make them see me as a female that is willing and able to break some of those barriers that have been formed throughout the years, instead of just a white female interested in their organization?
Old 03-06-2000, 04:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Piglet3 my Sorority Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Inc. has "ALWAYS" had an open door policy for any WOMAN who has a serious and dedicated attitude to seek sisterhood in our illustrious sorority. Eleanor Roosevelt a "white woman" First Lady of the US was a member of our sorority. If you feel you can contribute to an organization founded by African American Women then i say go for it.
And if you find that the women on your campus are not interested in you joining their organization based on your skin color alone then of course you are better off without them. Good luck.
Old 03-06-2000, 04:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Wink

Pink Bunny, thank you for your reply and advice. I was never aware that Elenor Roosevelt was an AKA. That makes me even more determined to do this. As for the fact of those fellow sisters, I do not think it is all of them, just a select few. It may be because the majority of this soroity knows me and I guess they are shocked that I am interested. Don't get me wrong, it isn't all of the sisters making me feel this way. But from what I know, you can't change anything within an organization, unless you belong to it. Maybe, if I do make line, I can be that person to change things. I'll never know if I don't try.
Old 03-07-2000, 11:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Piglet3,

My undergrad chapter initiated a soror fall '98 who is white. Although I graduated four years ago, I keep in touch with my undergrad chapter. They say she exemplifies everything that AKA stands for. I met her at homecoming last year and I agree with them. She is someone I'm proud to call a soror. Good luck!
Old 03-08-2000, 02:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Red face

poplife, thank you for your reply, but not to disrespect you or anything but AKA is not the soroity i'm looking into. but your advice is greatly appreciated. i wish you luck with making line. any one else with anymore advice, it will be taken to heart and thanked greatfully.
Old 03-08-2000, 04:27 PM
GreekChat Member

in choosing any sorority, it is most important that you fully understand its goals and values. bglo's all have open-door policies for those people who are willing to support the interests of the sorority or fraternity. often those include empowering and working in the african-american community. if you choose to seek membership you should be aware of that and be willing to work. lots of times people get caught up in the hoopla (stepping, struting, partying,etc) and don't truly understand that membership is a lifetime commitment not just something you did in college.
Old 03-09-2000, 12:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Smile

dstbrat, thank you for your reply. i am aware that joining any bglo the majority of the work is done in the african-american community. i understand and am fully aware of that. i have no problem bettering that part of the community, i strongly feel that it should be done, not just by black, but by white also. im not really interested in just party walking, stepping, signs, or calls. it is the work that you do that interests me. we are in the year 2000, and we should better the world we live in today for our future and the future of our children.
Old 03-09-2000, 01:33 PM
GreekChat Member

I haven't been really keeping up on this specific topic, but I would like to say that the last comment was well put. It shouldn't matter what our color is, we should all be working together to help our communities and the future of this country and this planet. Desipite what people say and how the media represents us to society, greek orginizations are all about giving back to the community and we are all good people. Yes, we have parties, yes we know how to have a good time, but you know what, our parties are a celebration of pride. Pride that we have because we as greeks have made a difference in and around the world.

Mikki
Delta Zeta Alum
Kappa Mu Chapter
Sigma Alpha Iota Alum
Eta Tau Chapter

------------------
"The trouble with self-made men is that they worship their creator."

--Unknown
Old 03-12-2000, 06:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Integrating blacks and whites is not only right, it's essential to social progress. Traditionally black fraternities, though, are likely to stay black, whereas traditionally white fraternities will definitely change or be accused of racial discrimination. There just aren't many black guys at my school who aren't athletes. Ethnicity doesn't matter to me at all, so it's just a matter of who wants to check out my fraternity.

------------------
andrew watters
Theta Chi
Old 03-22-2000, 07:11 PM
GreekChat Member

I always wonder, I'm an American citizen, but I was born in South Africa and my parents migrated from South Africa in the early 80s. And no, they didn't approved appartheid, and no, I'm not Dave Matthews. Am I considered an African-American. And I'm also an anglo, my family came to South Africa in the 1600s. What am I trying to prove, the real world doesn't care what color you are, just who you are and how you contribute to society.
Old 03-22-2000, 11:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down

Race is all in your head. There are genetically African ("black") men in fraternities who have way more in common with me ("white") than some criminal who is also black. Race is socially defined.

------------------
andrew watters
Theta Chi –*ucla
Old 03-23-2000, 03:41 PM

Unhappy

AWatters

Of course you could have said some black, actor, doctor, minister, Nobel prize winner...

I think I get what you were trying to get at though. Kind of like just because your a white guy doesn't mean you have anything in common with Jeffery Dahmer OR the Pope!
Old 03-29-2000, 11:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Hi Piglet3. We have something in common as far as wanting to joing a sorority whose majority members are of a different race.

However, being of a mixed racial background (3 races, 4 ethnicities!!) it makes it difficult for me to choose by race. I've always "fit in" in all kinds of different "groups" throughout my life.

I was wondering if you would mind if I emailed you sometime so we can chat about this off the message board.

LaMestiza
Old 03-31-2000, 12:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking

LaMestiza-you can email me anytime, i really don't mind, just check my profile thing, it should have my email. i would glad to chat.