GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,242
0 members and 1,242 guests
No Members online

Old 10-11-2008, 04:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to fivestarpikapp Send a message via MSN to fivestarpikapp
Cool Clothing Traditions

Do you have certain traditions in regards to buying clothing with your letters on it?

My school at is known for our jackets.

But my fraternity in our chapter is also known for our baseball jerseys
L.G.T.
Old 10-11-2008, 06:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Sounds way cool.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 10-11-2008, 07:07 PM
GreekChat Member

everyone at my school pretty much buys & wears the same clothes as everyone else. sweatshirts, tshirts, 3/4 sleeve shirts, etc. i know. we're boring
Old 10-12-2008, 10:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Lettered 'football jerseys' like this.

And us and PiKapp have polos with our letters/symbol on it. (We have the triangles and they have starshield).

But the jersey thing is big here.
Old 10-13-2008, 03:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PANTHERTEKE View Post
Lettered 'football jerseys' like this.

And us and PiKapp have polos with our letters/symbol on it. (We have the triangles and they have starshield).

But the jersey thing is big here.
Are you serious?

That's just gross.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 10-13-2008, 04:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to fivestarpikapp Send a message via MSN to fivestarpikapp
ahh.I see

I see the TKEs at my school also do the football jerseys also.

yea, I was speaking to some of my brothers at other chapters, many of them believe in the polos
L.G.T.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:08 PM
GreekChat Member

All GLOs on my campus do the football jerseys. They have our nickname and scroll number (for the sororities) on the back. The fraternities pick which number they want.

@~/~~~~
Old 10-13-2008, 04:20 PM
GreekChat Member

While individual clothing may vary, every sorority on our campus wears the Charles River pullover/windbreaker. It has a flannel lining, a quarter zip in the front with a velcro pouch. Each group decides on their jacket color. We've always had navy jackets with green/blue/white plaid letters on the back and our pledge name and chapter on the front left chest. It was so convenient to wear them around campus, especially in the rain!

Old 10-13-2008, 04:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scully View Post
While individual clothing may vary, every sorority on our campus wears the Charles River pullover/windbreaker. It has a flannel lining, a quarter zip in the front with a velcro pouch. Each group decides on their jacket color. We've always had navy jackets with green/blue/white plaid letters on the back and our pledge name and chapter on the front left chest. It was so convenient to wear them around campus, especially in the rain!

My chapter did the pullovers but that was a change from the big crazy fancy jackets (that, while I was there, everyone else still did). Our fancy jackets (that got passed down sometimes) were white, with Gannon on the elastic on the bottom, the elastic was red, yellow, and green, the 3' letters on the back were red, yellow and green, with our names, pledge class, and chapter designation on the sleeve.

We switched to the Charles River pullovers, in black, red, yellow and green (because try finding buff out there, seriously!) 3' letters on the back, with name and pledge class on the front (almost always in white), and sometimes chapter designation on the sleeve.

Even where Erie was really cold, we found that we could wear the pullovers year round (with sweatshirts underneath them in the winter!) whereas the white jackets were so warm that we could only wear them really in the winter.

My sister-mother had both the white jacket and the pullover. Hers was the last class to buy the white jackets.

ETA: You're right about the rain - I still wear mine in the rain.
Old 10-13-2008, 05:07 PM
GreekChat Member

^^The sororities on my campus have jackets too. With larger letters on the back, "Alpha Sigma Tau" written out over them, the chapter on the right sleeve, an anchor on the left, your name or nickname on one side on the front, and on the other side are the letters again.

And yes, they work wonders in the rain!

And alphagam... yes, surprisingly, matched with a sweatshirt, they could even fight off the coldness of Erie! haha

@~/~~~~
Old 10-13-2008, 05:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
All GLOs on my campus do the football jerseys.
My campus too ... although they're usually hockey jerseys, not football, since hockey jerseys are a truer fit.

A couple years ago, the TKEs on my campus all got bright red track jackets and that's sort of become their signature. We (the AXiDs) are thinking of doing navy blue track jackets sometime, too.
Old 10-13-2008, 05:50 PM
GreekChat Member

I found out the other jackets are called "baseball jackets" - they're that style but they were heavier than what (I think) actual jackets used by baseball players are.

And they NEVER, NEVER had letters on the front (at my school).
Old 10-13-2008, 10:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant Walk View Post
Are you serious?

That's just gross.
I'm sorry my campus isn't full of fratastic fratstars with a 5 star frat-rating.

We call can't be you, EW.
Old 10-14-2008, 03:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PANTHERTEKE View Post
I'm sorry my campus isn't full of fratastic fratstars with a 5 star frat-rating.

We call can't be you, EW.
It's an unfortunate state of affairs.
Old 10-14-2008, 05:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphagamzetagam View Post
I found out the other jackets are called "baseball jackets" - they're that style but they were heavier than what (I think) actual jackets used by baseball players are.

And they NEVER, NEVER had letters on the front (at my school).
My chapter had the baseball jackets back in the mid 80's. They were YELLOW with red writing. Alpha Gamma Delta in script on the back. Our first names were embroidered on the front upper left. I still have mine Tri-Sigma had dark purple with white writing, Alpha Xi Delta had dark blue with gold writing, Sigma Kappa had Maroon with white writing. Lambda Chi were green with yellow, TKE was red with grey, Delt Sig were green with white, Theta Chi were red and white as were Phi Sigma Epsilon/Kappa (they merged while I was in school)... it was cool because, for the women anyway, you knew who was walking down the street from a distance.

A few years after I graduated, they moved to the pullover windbreakers that were popular at the time.