GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Phi Alpha

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 986
0 members and 986 guests
No Members online

Old 04-28-2012, 07:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittanygirl View Post
I finished reading "Room" by Emma Donoghue a few days ago and wow. What an interesting book. If you haven't checked that out, I'd highly recommend. It is told through the eyes of 5-year old Jack, who has spent his whole life in Room, with his mother. He never knew Outside existed or was real. Plant is real, Bed is real, Rug is real, Animals are real, but only Ant and Mouse, Dogs and Cats are just TV. What a book.
"WOW" is right. I picked that up randomly in an airport bookstore last year and it blew me away. It's so creepy to think that situation could really happen, and you're right -- by the time you are a couple of chapters into it, you can completely see the world through the eyes of a preschooler who has never been outside and has no idea that trees, grass, and other people exist outside the tv. It's really one of the best, most innovative stories I've read in a while.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-01-2012, 09:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPhiAGinger View Post
"WOW" is right. I picked that up randomly in an airport bookstore last year and it blew me away. It's so creepy to think that situation could really happen, and you're right -- by the time you are a couple of chapters into it, you can completely see the world through the eyes of a preschooler who has never been outside and has no idea that trees, grass, and other people exist outside the tv. It's really one of the best, most innovative stories I've read in a while.
I still stand by it being one of the best books I've read so far this year. Seriously crazy how well the author got into the idea.

Just finished reading "The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest" and currently reading "Sleeping with Paris" by Juliette Sobanet which is so far okay. The story is interesting enough that I've kept going, but at times, it feels like it was written by a middle schooler. But hey. It was free on Kindle
Old 05-01-2012, 11:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPhiAGinger View Post
About 3/4 through the 4th book in the Game of Thrones series -- A Feast For Crows.
I didn't even realize GoT was a book series. I thought it was just a TV series. Adding this (and later the TV show) to my to read (and watch) list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittanygirl View Post
Just finished reading "The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest".
I really want to read Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and this.

But before that, I'm starting Divergent. A lot of my tumblr friends are reading it and are obsessed with it, I kind of want to see what the fuss is about. I will be so glad to be done finals soon so I can start.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:06 AM
GreekChat Member

I just finished up a couple of novels.

When She Woke by Hillary Jordan- a really fascinating book about the future of the penal system in a VERY conservative future. It would make a good book club book or an ethics class book.

Pure by Julianna Baggots sort of a Hunger game type book.

Divergent by Veronica Roth another Hunger game type story.

Growing Up Amish by Ira Wagler. I have just always been fascinated by the Amish. It was interesting.

I'm currently reading Unorthodox by Deborah Feldman. It is slow going so far but I think the story may be building.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Recommended reading for thirty years has been Napkin Notes On the Art of Living, by Dr. G. Michael Durst. Gave copies to our local collegiate chapter's library. Refer to it often.

Bound By A Mighty Vow: Sisterhood And Women's Fraternities 1870-1920, by Diana B. Turk is another comprehensive book I find informative.

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psusue View Post
I didn't even realize GoT was a book series. I thought it was just a TV series. Adding this (and later the TV show) to my to read (and watch) list.

I really want to read Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and this.

But before that, I'm starting Divergent. A lot of my tumblr friends are reading it and are obsessed with it, I kind of want to see what the fuss is about. I will be so glad to be done finals soon so I can start.
I've been on the waitlist for Divergent from my library foreverrrrrrr. Hopefully soon I'll get it. But not too soon. Because I need to finish the Tiger's Wife and also my training book for work too.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Cute summer read: I've Got Your Number by Sophie Kinsella (the Shopaholic Author)....I checked it out at the library )
Old 05-23-2012, 08:27 PM
GreekChat Member

I read Sarah Silverman's book, "The Bedwetter," in two nights. Effing hilarious.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:58 AM
GreekChat Member

The Queen of Harlem - Brian Keith Jackson
Old 05-28-2012, 09:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Stephen King - 11/22/63. It's not a thriller, but it's a historical fiction about this guy from 2011 who finds a time warp portal and goes back in time to prevent JFK from being assassinated. I'm a little more than halfway through the book, and it's AMAZING. I would recommend it to anyone.

First SK book I've read (as an adult). I tried reading some of his thrillers when I was younger, but I think I was too young for it to hold my attention.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Big king fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda6035 View Post
Stephen King - 11/22/63. It's not a thriller, but it's a historical fiction about this guy from 2011 who finds a time warp portal and goes back in time to prevent JFK from being assassinated. I'm a little more than halfway through the book, and it's AMAZING. I would recommend it to anyone.

First SK book I've read (as an adult). I tried reading some of his thrillers when I was younger, but I think I was too young for it to hold my attention.
Currently reading the same book. I'm only 38% through it but I'm finding it a little tedious right now. I usually say the first 1/4 of his books drag because he does a lot of character developement but I'm not sure about this one. There seems like there is a creepy thread runny through it so I wondered later if that would play a more prominent part of the book?
Old 05-28-2012, 08:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Halfway through Divergent. It is quite good so far. A little slow, IMO, and the transitions are a bit awkward (although I tend to be pretty critical of writers so I may just be being nitpicky) but I like the plot and the setting. And the main relationship. Sigh.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:14 PM
GreekChat Member

The Hearts of Men - Travis Hunter
Silver Sparrow - Tayari Jones
The Best Laid Plans - Sidney Sheldon
Old 07-14-2012, 11:01 PM
GreekChat Member

I am currently reading Fifty Shades Darker by E L James. It is book two of the Fifty Shades trilogy.
Old 07-14-2012, 11:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Just finished reading Defending Jacob! Dragged a bit but wow at the ending!