GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,170
1 members and 1,169 guests
No Members online

Old 12-16-2001, 02:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Serenades

Ok, from what I've heard of them so far from GC, they sound like SO much fun. But, I'm wondering what specific sorts of occasions does everyone use them for? Would it be appropriate for a women's org to serenade a men's org. to invite them to a mixer?

Does anyone's campus do this regularly? As far as I know no one here does it, but I'd love to get it going.
Old 12-16-2001, 04:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LeslieAGD
On my campus, the sororities pick a specific night (usually around the time of their I-Week) and visit all the fraternities. We sing our songs to them and they sing song back. It's a blast.
Old 12-16-2001, 05:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Here, when some house steals your composite you have to go sing to them to get it back. That's the main occasion for the serenade here.

Also the sororities will occasionally go around and sing their songs to all the houses and we sing back, but it seems like so few sororities know their songs so there are only a couple houses that have done it. The fraternities sing back, and I'm proud to say that all the sororities have told me afterwards how impressed they were with us Betas. One girl in Kappa who was in choir all throughout HS told me the other night that when we started to sing she about peed her pants - I guess we must have just been on that night.

We have also serenaded Gamma phi early on in the semester because they were our block partners for the football season.
Old 12-16-2001, 06:08 PM
GreekChat Member

We go serenading about 2 times a year. In the fall we go Pumpkin Caroling for Halloween. We give each of the fraternities a pumpkin full of candy. Usually they give us treats and sing back. The last one has given us hot chocolate in the past to end the night. In the Spring we serenade to invite boys to our Crush Party that we have every year. We give out anonymous invitations as a group, they have to wait to the party to find out who invited them.

Serenading is a lot of fun and a great way to introduce the NM to Greek Life. It's also great PR. The boys usually serenade all the sororities when they have a new pledge class. Other than that they only serenade their favorites when they feel like it. All of the sororities here love it.
Old 12-16-2001, 06:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ZTAMich
it sounds like sooo much fun! i wish we did that here!
Old 12-16-2001, 06:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ZTAMich
it sounds like sooo much fun! i wish we did that here!
Me too, you'd think here in the south boys would be all about that!! What's up, SC guys? Let's see some serenading going on....
Old 12-16-2001, 07:16 PM

Talking

If you want every member to show at a meeting; all you have to do is announce that a fraternity will be serenading.

At UCSD all the chapters serenade to introduce new pledges to the Greek system. Everyone has a blast and the actives always fight over who gets to accompany the pledges. The serenading chapter brings some cookies or candy. The fraternities also bring roses for sorority presidents and girlfriends.

The style of serenade done here, I think, is different than other schools. For the most part; serenades here involve dance routines as well as singing. Think *NSYNC and Brittney Spears routines. Not routines just inspired by them; but the actual routines. Needless to says there's weeks of practice before the dances are revealed. We then usually incorporate them into Greek Week and Derby Days.

The only exceptions I know of to this is when all the Sigma Chi actives serenade. Thier pledges do a seperate serenade. Also one of the sorority chapters does a "serious serenade". They wear black dresses, heels, and pearls. Then they light candles and sing love songs or something. :shrug:
Old 12-16-2001, 08:58 PM
GreekChat Member

For us we had serenades for informal and formal occasions. We sometimes would serenade on spur of the moment to one of our brothers girlfriends or to some hottie out on the town. We also had serenades occasionally when we would organize a serenade with a sorority and the pledges would accompany with us(we'd wear our kelly green sports jackets and bring a rose). Other Formal occasions included semi formal or formal when we would all get down on one knee and serenade all of our dates. Lots of fun A VT Theta(Sandy) one time told me that they had a serenade that they made for especially for the betas and it sounded really cool. I believe they had a mixer when they did that.

Kevin
Old 12-16-2001, 10:31 PM

At my school, fraternities and sororities did not do serenades, but there were a couple of a cappella singing groups on campus that did, on Valentine's Day. You could buy a serenade for a few bucks - as a fundraiser, so they could do tours or whatever. You had to give your "victim's" class schedule and pick a song out of about 5 choices. We sometimes had lectures put on hold for 5 or 10 minutes, especially in freshman core classes, while the serenades were sung

During my senior year, I had a friend in one of the singing groups on campus, and I arranged with her that her group would serenade my boyfriend in the main cafeteria on campus at a specific time. And they did. Anyway, it must have worked, because less than a month later, he proposed, and we're still happily married nearly 5 years later!

Not quite the same thing, but a cute idea nonetheless.
Old 12-16-2001, 11:13 PM
GreekChat Member

At my school I believe that all of the sororities serenade. Mine does it on the second night of I-week. We pick houses to go to and sing 4 songs (3 bad ones and a good one to exit to) We all wear black and carry candles which is kind of funny cause we look really classy, yet we sing some "dirty" songs. Fraternities pledge classes usually come sing to most of the girls at our housing area (we dont have houses). They usually sing songs like "you've got that lovin feeling" Its really cute!
Old 12-17-2001, 12:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to dzsaigirl
Hey AggieDZ! At U of Houston we do serenades, but it is mostly guys coming to us. They come at the beginning of the year to say welcome back (and a thinly disguised attempt to scope out our new members to see if they like them). They also come to invite us to do a mixer or pair with them for Frontier Fiesta. One time one of our girls got serenaded by her boyfriend's fraternity and got her drop from him at the same time instead of having a candlelighting. That was really cute. We usually sing back to any fraternity that sings to us, so we just look at the songleader and she starts the songs. The best serenades on our campus come from Delta Upsilon because they do four-part harmony every time. The other guys pretty much suck at it, but they try hard and they always bring us either our flower or theirs, and sometimes candy, which is cool.
Old 12-17-2001, 12:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to dzsaigirl
Oh yeah, I forgot...we always end with "In a Parked Car" do y'all know that song? It's our silly song.
Old 12-17-2001, 01:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Serenading at A&M would be difficult as all the fraternities are spread out, unless you just concentrate on one fraternity. Is that what you were thinking about doing? I think it would be so nice if the fraternities would start serenading the sororities-much easier as we are all in a 2 block area.
Old 12-17-2001, 10:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Wow! Thanks so much for all of your responses.

dzsaigirl, good to hear from you!

Aggie AXO,

Well, I had thought that it would be a great, unique way to invite the boys (an idividual house) to a mixer, or to thank them for participation in one of our events. (and actually there is significant talk and interest, if you can believe it, about building a "Fraternity Row"--the latest buzz is that the Lambda Chi's are going to rent the former AGD home from AXiD, which would mean there'd be 2 men's org's on sorority row now) Should be interesting!
Old 12-17-2001, 11:29 AM

Fraternities serenade for events such as Homecoming. If they're having a philanthropy event, they'll serenade in order to get more girls to come to their events. They'll come and serenade us during our philanthropy events to wish us luck!