GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,318
0 members and 1,318 guests
No Members online

Old 03-12-2017, 07:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
OK, here's the deal. If you drop, you can go thru next formal recruitment. However, there is no guarantee you will get a bid to any group. So, what you need to decide is if staying in the current group is better or worse than belonging to no group...because that very well could happen. You have no guarantees. Just trying to shoot straight with you.
Jinx

@~/~~~~
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-13-2017, 09:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by undecided2404 View Post
I joined a sorority a couple months ago, and I m not really happy with it, and haven t clicked with a lot of the girls. I chose this sorority for really crappy reasons. A friend of mine suicide bid there which definitely affected my decision, and I also picked it for shallow reasons like popularity and status. There was another sorority that I almost put first but I didn t because I really fit in and felt comfortable there but I felt like being me wasn t good enough. The day of bid day I knew I had made a mistake. But I stayed with it to see if it got better and I still am undecided. Is dropping the right choice? Or should I stay and hope that things get better?
Quote:
Originally Posted by undecided2404 View Post
I'm just worried cause there's still a real chance I could be in the other sorority that I didn't pick for bad reasons (I have a lot of friends in it) but if I go through initiation at the sorority I'm currently pledging and drop after I wouldn't be able to rush next year... I'm just worried if I stay already feeling unhappy and a year from now I feel the same and end up dropping then I'll be left with nothing. I guess my gut is telling me to drop but I feel paralyzed by the fear that dropping is a mistake and that I'll regret it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
OK, here's the deal. If you drop, you can go thru next formal recruitment. However, there is no guarantee you will get a bid to any group. So, what you need to decide is if staying in the current group is better or worse than belonging to no group...because that very well could happen. You have no guarantees. Just trying to shoot straight with you.
The advice here is genuine, and I hope you come back and let us know how your situation continues.
Old 03-13-2017, 11:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

I've decided to drop. It has just been a huge source of anxiety for me lately and honestly I've just decided to go with my gut which tells me that this isn't right. I know that there are a lot of other factors, but at the end of the day I have to make the decision that's best for me, and I've tried really hard to justify the money and time commitment and I just can't. I understand that it will be hard at first but I have really supportive friends that I love who will help me get through this, and I truly believe that it's the right decision. Thank you so so much everyone for your advice it really helped!!!!
Old 03-14-2017, 07:52 AM
Super Moderator

Good luck to you.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
If you are initiated you can not join another sorority. Ever.
Actually you can, if you are initiated into a NPC then you can't join another NPC - but there is nothing stopping you from joining another orgnization, locals, nationals not on NPC, for example. Whether or not they'll accept someone who dropped is different with every organization

Similarly, if you were in a non NPC you can drop and try to go for a NPC, but it's up to that chapter whether they would like to give you a bid, I know at my school a girl dropped a local then went Phi Sig
Old 05-05-2017, 09:41 AM

You are right of course. We tend tohave a tad bit of NPC tunnel vision on this site (understandable given our membership).

Although if there were local sororities on my campus that were part of the college Panhellenic, participated in formal rush with the NPC sororities, and in general were looked at on the campus the same way as the NPC groups...maybe technically you can drop one of those groups and join an NPC, but in practice, it's kind of a really shady thing to do. And vice versa.