GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,454
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, nathnpetrovo648
» Online Users: 1,517
3 members and 1,514 guests
nathnpetrovo648, Sen's Revenge, Xidelt

Old 12-30-2014, 01:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
Tres Jolie, joliebelle! I am actually jealous of how gorgeous your photos are!
Thank you! Photography was the one thing I was dead set on spending a decent amount of money on. My mom balked at first when I told her how much it would be, but she realized it was worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheerio View Post
The color in your bouquets just made my day here in dreary-weather land.

Your photos truly send the message of joy and fun experienced by you and your guests. Did you use one of them in a Holiday Card?
Thank you! I didn't get to see the bouquets until the day of, and I was over the moon with them. We did not use our photos for a holiday card, to my great displeasure. I did make photo books for Christmas gifts to our parents and grandparents though. I also got prints from Adormapix for my mom and my sisters.
Old 01-01-2015, 08:16 AM

Love the pictures of you walking toward each other. The water and skyline behind is a stunning setting. Congrats!
Old 01-15-2015, 11:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOIIalum View Post
Love the pictures of you walking toward each other. The water and skyline behind is a stunning setting. Congrats!
Late reply, but thank you! I was so worried that the weather would be awful, but it was actually a gorgeous day!
Old 01-16-2015, 02:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Am I a terrible person for not wanting to attend my (bio) sister's wedding this summer? It's a small destination wedding in a not easily accessible location on the opposite coast, not just from me but for them and about 90% of the guests, and it's going to be so expensive and affect other plans I was considering. And it's her third wedding, for crying out loud. What happened to just going to a justice of the peace when it's not the first?
Old 01-18-2015, 08:39 PM

^^^^That's not really a thing anymore. My mom's friend is in her mid-50s, has been married 3 times, and had an actual shindig for all 3. Awesome.

Lakers Nation.
Old 01-19-2015, 03:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellfish View Post
Am I a terrible person for not wanting to attend my (bio) sister's wedding this summer? It's a small destination wedding in a not easily accessible location on the opposite coast, not just from me but for them and about 90% of the guests, and it's going to be so expensive and affect other plans I was considering. And it's her third wedding, for crying out loud. What happened to just going to a justice of the peace when it's not the first?
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
^^^^That's not really a thing anymore. My mom's friend is in her mid-50s, has been married 3 times, and had an actual shindig for all 3. Awesome.
I agree with you Shellfish. It's totally inane and if the expense is going to be cost prohibitive for you, I'd say something to her. I think it is ridiculous to have multiple weddings and expect people to come over and over and over. When I got married the second time, my husband had never been married and he really wanted a wedding so I agreed to it. I invited only my immediate family and a few very close friends. I do think my brother came but I wouldn't have been hurt if he hadn't. The rest of the guests were the groom's guests. I was not putting my family and friends through that!
Old 01-19-2015, 07:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
Joliebelle, what great pictures! (And I never knew you were from Chicago!)
Old 01-23-2015, 12:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
I agree with you Shellfish. It's totally inane and if the expense is going to be cost prohibitive for you, I'd say something to her. I think it is ridiculous to have multiple weddings and expect people to come over and over and over. When I got married the second time, my husband had never been married and he really wanted a wedding so I agreed to it. I invited only my immediate family and a few very close friends. I do think my brother came but I wouldn't have been hurt if he hadn't. The rest of the guests were the groom's guests. I was not putting my family and friends through that!
I agree with the gist of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Havana View Post
Joliebelle, what great pictures! (And I never knew you were from Chicago!)
Thank you! I have lived here since 2009 (which seems like forever ago)
Old 01-23-2015, 06:32 PM
GreekChat Member

It dawned on me the other day, my brother has been married 3 times and I was only at the first wedding.
Old 02-02-2015, 04:28 AM
GreekChat Member

<3
Old 07-16-2015, 11:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation Wedding Date Selection RANT

RANT

I have I barely had any contact with a relative in 22 years. I have reached out occasionally. The relative responded but mostly I reached out. Family politics have made thing tough, but, I still made the effort. After all, they are family. Family is important no matter what else has happened. I feel sorry for that person. Then I get this message that the relative has select the Saturday directly after Thanksgiving to get married in an afternoon/evening wedding. Aside from a direct family member, I am the only one invited. I feel like I should attend to be there for them. However, to plan a wedding on the busiest travel weekend of the year is inconsiderate to guests from out of town. This is the most expensive time to travel of the year. That is a $500 flight, not including hotel and taxi/car for a relative that I am not even close with. I feel like they are playing the FAMILY CARD in the worst way. Had they planned any other weekend, this would not be an issue.
I feel that if they are going to plan on the busiest weekend of the year, they owe their out of town guests such as myself an explanation. I understand that it is their special day. But, who in their right mind plans a wedding then? It is absolutely inconsiderate. How can you ignore your out of town guests? I know couples who have picked their dates based on travel times.
Flustered with trying to find affordable flights, I finally asked them what the thought process was. Color me rude, but, if I am dropping that much $$$$ I am going to ask. The relative got defensive and thought I was out of line. They finally said that it had to do with some sort of Chinese astrology and good luck as the fiance is Chinese. I am all about being culturally sensitive. I have am an avid Sinophile, Chinese culture lover. They expressed that they wanted me to come because no other family invited but understood. I really feel bad for the family member, but, REALLY THE BUSIEST FVCKING TRAVEL DAYS OF THE YEAR!!!!
I am NOT going. Had I seen them more, they made more of an effort, things might be different.
BUT REALLY THE BUSIEST FVCKING TRAVEL DAY OF THE YEAR?!!!
I think that my relative's fiance's family has them BYTCH WRAPPED.

END OF RANT.

Last edited by BAckbOwlsgIrl; 07-16-2015 at 11:17 PM.
Old 07-17-2015, 03:37 PM
GreekChat Member

It's likely the cheapest weekend they could do.
Old 07-17-2015, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin03 View Post
It's likely the cheapest weekend they could do.
Yep.

Dates like Fridays, Holiday weekends, and off-season type dates like November-February sometimes = discounts with a venue.

Only thing is that they can be inconvenient for your guests. Some people can't come.

Now, if you WANT a small wedding (like, you don't care if only 60 people come because you don't want a ton of people anyway) it's fine. For example, I have friends getting married on NYE and their guest list is like 40 people.

But if you want all 250 of your friends and family to come, you can't get married on (example) Labor Day.

Lakers Nation.
Old 07-17-2015, 08:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Yep.

Dates like Fridays, Holiday weekends, and off-season type dates like November-February sometimes = discounts with a venue.

Only thing is that they can be inconvenient for your guests. Some people can't come.

Now, if you WANT a small wedding (like, you don't care if only 60 people come because you don't want a ton of people anyway) it's fine. For example, I have friends getting married on NYE and their guest list is like 40 people.

But if you want all 250 of your friends and family to come, you can't get married on (example) Labor Day.
It could also be a way to limit the guest list without actually not inviting people.

ETA: I've been to fairly large weddings around major holiday weekends (Memorial Day, Labor Day, and Independence Day). We also received save the date cards 6-9 months out so maybe there was more time to plan. Labor Day seems to be a pretty major wedding weekend in the northeast.

Last edited by Munchkin03; 07-18-2015 at 02:59 AM.
Old 07-18-2015, 09:25 AM
GreekChat Member

And sometimes here people plan it for those weekends because out of town guests will have time off from work so that they CAN travel. That would apply to other long weekends though- Thanksgiving weekend is so expensive for flights. My daughter isn't coming home from college for Thanksgiving anymore because flights from New York City to Detroit that weekend are $850-950 when they are usually around $260.