GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,515
0 members and 2,515 guests
No Members online

Old 11-23-2009, 12:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katmandu View Post
What a wonderful thread! In the mid 70's probably 95% of our chapter had jeweled badges. Most popular was the pearl with emerald points, followed by all pearls and alternating pearls and emeralds. Mine was emerald with pearl points.
You rebel you, going for the opposite of the chapter trends! Did you just like the look, or were you trying to be different? It sounds very pretty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetpretty View Post
Maybe because it looks better to have 16 stones rather than 20 if you get alternating pearls and jewels. With 16, it's the points, and the middle stone on the sides that get the jewel. With 20, you can't have all 4 points be the same. I like the symmetry of 16.
Oh, good call. I have noticed the point variety on some, but didn't even think about it with these because they were both straight pearl in the middle. I agree that if the stones alternate, it looks really sharp to have the points all match.

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetpretty View Post
If a seller knows what the pin is, I'd think most of them would try to sell it online. Makes sense from their perspective to offer it to more people and get the highest price for it.
Yeah, I was just hoping to luck out and find someone who didn't have a clue Greek life isn't quite as big in the northwest as it is elsewhere around the country, which could either hurt (lower supply) or help (due to ignorance). I did find a very interesting little cookbook from 1934 published by Alpha Gamma Delta, so at least something worked out.

Last edited by thetygerlily; 11-23-2009 at 12:27 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-23-2009, 02:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda6035 View Post
Hubby got me the 15 stone white gold, light and dark blue sapphires alternating as my birthday/christmas present this year.

This is the badge my daughter ordered! She loves it!
Old 11-23-2009, 03:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetygerlily View Post
You rebel you, going for the opposite of the chapter trends! Did you just like the look, or were you trying to be different? It sounds very pretty!

Oh, good call. I have noticed the point variety on some, but didn't even think about it with these because they were both straight pearl in the middle. I agree that if the stones alternate, it looks really sharp to have the points all match.

Yeah, I was just hoping to luck out and find someone who didn't have a clue Greek life isn't quite as big in the northwest as it is elsewhere around the country, which could either hurt (lower supply) or help (due to ignorance). I did find a very interesting little cookbook from 1934 published by Alpha Gamma Delta, so at least something worked out.
Care to share the cookbook?

Your neighbor to the east
Old 11-23-2009, 03:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalSquirrel View Post

Seriously! I wanna see!
Old 11-23-2009, 04:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Actually, I wanted an emerald with diamond points, but couldn't afford it! I lost my original badge two years ago in a move, but my vintage badges comfort me in my loss. I did get (eventually) an emerald with diamond points, my favorite KD badge look. I also have a 1941 badge from my chapter, owned by the 1942 chapter secretary, in pearls with emerald points and a pearled chapter guard. It is in the original Balfour box with a tiny dagger recognition pin, and it is one of my prizes.

I hope the new members of all of our groups treasure their badges and wear them with pride. My co-workers love to see my vintage pins!
Old 11-23-2009, 06:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalSquirrel View Post

I will do my best to take & post pictures quickly. The cover is really nice, hand tooled leather. I had no idea it was AGD until I opened it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katmandu View Post
Actually, I wanted an emerald with diamond points, but couldn't afford it! I lost my original badge two years ago in a move, but my vintage badges comfort me in my loss. I did get (eventually) an emerald with diamond points, my favorite KD badge look. I also have a 1941 badge from my chapter, owned by the 1942 chapter secretary, in pearls with emerald points and a pearled chapter guard. It is in the original Balfour box with a tiny dagger recognition pin, and it is one of my prizes.
Wow! I think you should post some pictures as well, then... it sounds like you have quite the collection going.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:30 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
It is interesting that they went from 4 smaller pearls on each side to three larger pearls on each side. Is that standard now? I wonder what prompted the change.
When I was in school, "Mom's pin" was the standard size (16 pearls plus 4 points), while the "minature pin" was 12 pearls with 4 points. The minature pin was slightly smaller than the standard pin, especially the black diamond part - my initiation pin is a minature pin (white gold, pearls with sapphire points). When ADPi changed jewelers, the minature pin was enlarged to be the same size as the old standard pin, but with the 12 pearls/4 points. You're very astute as to figuring out the reasoning!

I know of a few ADPi pin collectors, including one who has every style of pin, if not each of the jewel colors (if you know her name, please do not mention it for insurance reasons). She even has an Adelphean badge! BTW, they are enormous, compared to today's GLO pins:

Here's another rare one (only available from 1905-1913):

Old 11-23-2009, 09:43 PM
GreekChat Member

That's amazing that she has both a Adelphean badge and a Alpha Delta Phi one. And I find it interesting how the badge is more or less the same from your adelphean days except for the black enamel field.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
When I was in school, "Mom's pin" was the standard size (16 pearls plus 4 points), while the "minature pin" was 12 pearls with 4 points. The minature pin was slightly smaller than the standard pin, especially the black diamond part - my initiation pin is a minature pin (white gold, pearls with sapphire points). When ADPi changed jewelers, the minature pin was enlarged to be the same size as the old standard pin, but with the 12 pearls/4 points. You're very astute as to figuring out the reasoning!

I know of a few ADPi pin collectors, including one who has every style of pin, if not each of the jewel colors (if you know her name, please do not mention it for insurance reasons). She even has an Adelphean badge! BTW, they are enormous, compared to today's GLO pins:

Here's another rare one (only available from 1905-1913):

Just curious but why does it have Alpha Delta Phi instead of Pi? Was this just a mistake on the part of the jeweler?

Old 11-23-2009, 10:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to OHNOITSJESS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDDlady View Post
Just curious but why does it have Alpha Delta Phi instead of Pi? Was this just a mistake on the part of the jeweler?
Hopefully an ADPi doesn't mind if i answer

In 1905, The Adelphian Society obtained a charter to be established as a national organization and changed its name to Alpha Delta Phi... From there, the membership of the then Alpha Delta Phi met in 1913... the name of the organization was changed to Alpha Delta Pi in order to prevent confusion with another Greek letter organization (a fraternity named Alpha Delta Phi).

Last edited by OHNOITSJESS; 11-23-2009 at 10:07 PM.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:05 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDDlady View Post
When the Adelphean Society decided to use Greek letters, they went with Alpha Delta Phi. Once they learned that there was a small Northern fraternity with that name, they changed it to Alpha Delta Pi. Obviously, anything with Alpha Delta Phi on it is a serious collector's item!
Old 11-24-2009, 09:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
When the Adelphean Society decided to use Greek letters, they went with Alpha Delta Phi. Once they learned that there was a small Northern fraternity with that name, they changed it to Alpha Delta Pi. Obviously, anything with Alpha Delta Phi on it is a serious collector's item!

Item # 250535481783

Last edited by OleMissGlitter; 11-24-2009 at 02:46 PM.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Love that this thread continues... especially seeing the badges and items from other GLOs. That Adelphean badge is simply stunning. And I bet that AGD cookbook has some delicious recipes.

At Chapter Development Day on Sunday, one of our 4th generation legacies wore her great-grandmother's Dyer badge. She has quite a collection of heirloom and antique badges. The badge she was wearing had no jewels; it didn't need any. It was large, compared to today's badges, and looked just like a kite, with an elongated tail and points in gold surrounding the black enamel. We all oooohed and aaaahed over it. We have some other legacies who've inherited heirloom badges as well. Love to see them worn, proudly.

I was confused about the Adelphian/ADPhi/ADPi naming and now that's been explained, thanks.

Last edited by AZTheta; 11-24-2009 at 10:31 AM. Reason: wrong word & spelling
Old 11-24-2009, 01:16 PM
GreekChat Member

VandalSquirrel and agzg: I just posted pictures of the cookbook in a new thread: link. I figured I shouldn't pull this thread THAT much further off course

Honeychile, thank you for posting the pictures of both the Adelphean and ADPhi badges! I knew of the ADPhi --> ADPi change (I almost feel smart today), but hadn't seen any items with the older letters. It is so interesting that you can see so much of the Adelphean badge in today's ADPi badge, including the clasped hands and shape.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
VandalSquirrel and agzg: I just posted pictures of the cookbook in a new thread: link. I figured I shouldn't pull this thread THAT much further off course

Honeychile, thank you for posting the pictures of both the Adelphean and ADPhi badges! I knew of the ADPhi --> ADPi change (I almost feel smart today), but hadn't seen any items with the older letters. It is so interesting that you can see so much of the Adelphean badge in today's ADPi badge, including the clasped hands and shape.
The clasped hands, shape and even the stars. The only difference that I can see is the black field, the name and the omission of the motto. I find it awesome that they have more or less the same design.