GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 326,192
Threads: 115,534
Welcome to our newest member, aannatopo2815
» Online Users: 1,222
1 members and 1,221 guests
Zach

Old 07-08-2024, 02:24 PM

Essence Fest is an awesome thing, but it really has outgrown New Orleans. A few years ago, my 10-minute commute took 48 minutes, because none of my coworkers warned me about the traffic. This year, someone complained online that it took them over an hour to drive one short city block downtown. New Orleans isn't saying no to the $$$ from attendees, but the traffic......!!!!!

My husband and I got out of Dodge, and spent a few days at a couple of B&Bs in Lafayette and Baton Rouge.

You live, you learn. What a jagged little pill.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-09-2024, 09:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrozen Sands View Post
Have you seen the movie about it on Netflix? I forgot the name of it, but it was a pretty good watch.
Is it called “He Ain’t Heavy Underground Pledging”? If it is, yeah, saw that one.

Quote:
Anybody hear about Project 2025?
Yeah. It’ll never happen.
Old 07-10-2024, 05:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Our local medical lab has the most calming, charming instrumental music in their waiting area. Today I not only savoured a tune from the film Young Girls of Rochefort but enjoyed the end-titles tune from the film A Little Romance.

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.
Old 07-10-2024, 07:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
Spammers, via their spam bots, have been trying to do that here and on pretty much all forum sites for years. They just weren't all that great at it.

Although, I'm sure they probably still gained a lot of value out of spamming, though, when they were more successful at it / before we became better at blocking them.

There were times years ago when I would wake up to huge floods of spam that was posted overnight. Sometimes thousands of bot messages per day from many different bot accounts.

Even now, bots are still regularly trying to create accounts on GC in order to spam the site. The vast majority are automatically blocked & of those that do get through to creating accounts they are unable to unlock the accounts for posting.

Dealing with spam bots has basically been a cat and mouse game for a very long time. Not just for GC but for pretty much all websites in general.

My guess is that AI tech, once well implemented by spammers, will significantly improve their abilities.

Bots will become more difficult to detect, more able to get through all the hoops we put in their way to minimize their activity and better able to participate in forums without being noticed as bots.

That doesn't mean GC is doomed to future uncontrollable bot spam, though. The proliferation of AI bot spam tech probably is not going to happen immediately and even when it does we will still have a variety ways (maybe including new ways) to fight against it.
Things are significantly faster today. It seems something you've been doing is working.
Old 07-10-2024, 08:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach View Post
Is it called “He Ain’t Heavy Underground Pledging”? If it is, yeah, saw that one.

Yeah. It’ll never happen.
That’s it.

Why do you say it won’t happen?
Old 07-10-2024, 08:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Y’all hear about J Lo and Ben? Split. That was quick. I knew it wasn’t going to work, but I thought it’d last longer than it did. I think me and my girl lasted longer than they did Lol.
Old 07-10-2024, 08:32 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
Things are significantly faster today. It seems something you've been doing is working.
I temporarily turned off one of my other websites. That site was getting absolutely hammered with spider/bot traffic, much worse than GC had been for a while. Just a quick temp solution to turn the site off as other things will be happening in the next few days, then I'll deal with that in a different way.

This week I think I'll begin moving sites over to the new webserver. It's not visibly obvious, but I've been spending a huge amount of time learning some new tech, testing out different software & deciding which to go with, working on and plotting out the coming changes. Things should speed up even more once GC is on the new server.

It turns out that there are some IPs coming from China that appear to be spidering (and probably scraping) forum sites. They also don't seem to be too well programmed as they seem to get stuck on the same thing for a long time. Unless their goal is to cause a DDOS, which I doubt was the purpose.

My guess is that these spiders/bots are gathering data to use in AI training. I read some info on that not too long ago about AI researchers scouring the net for data to train AI with.

They were on GC for a while then appear to have mostly moved on... unfortunately to one of my other sites. But that one was no problem to temporarily turn off as it's mostly dormant, I partially shut that site down a while back, anyhow.

Hopefully they don't hit any other sites at least until I get everything moved. Then will start working on other ways of blocking them, maybe rate limiting or even just blocking any of the IPs they are using.
^^^ Help Support GC ^^^
Old 07-11-2024, 11:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
That’s it.

Why do you say it won’t happen?
Quote:
Y’all hear about J Lo and Ben? Split. That was quick. I knew it wasn’t going to work, but I thought it’d last longer than it did. I think me and my girl lasted longer than they did Lol.
Ben and Jen’s split goes without saying. That was inevitable. Your girl ever come back?

Forgot to answer your first question. It won’t happen because there’s too many things in place to keep it from happening. Yeah, he can change things, but he can only change so much.

Last edited by Zach; 07-11-2024 at 04:24 PM.
Old 07-11-2024, 05:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Hopefully they don't hit any other sites at least until I get everything moved. Then will start working on other ways of blocking them, maybe rate limiting or even just blocking any of the IPs they are using.
Blocking IPs is probably going to feel like you're playing whack a mole. In corporate world, we've gone to WAFs like Akamai which has been pretty effective so the traffic never even hits your network. But it's pretty expensive too.
Old 07-11-2024, 08:01 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Blocking IPs is probably going to feel like you're playing whack a mole.
Yeah, I was sorta expecting that. I suppose dealing with the probable AI scraper bots might not be too different than the forum spam bots. Actually, thinking about it more it could even be worse than the spam bots as there are no site registration hoops for them to jump through before loading thousands of pages. At least the spam bots can't post if they are blocked from registering through the process that I have setup for GC.

Quote:
In corporate world, we've gone to WAFs like Akamai which has been pretty effective so the traffic never even hits your network.
I was thinking about maybe Cloudflare WAF if necessary. Didn't know Akamai also had the service but know they are top tier & top price provider. GC actually was on Akamai's CDN years ago through a very nicely priced reseller, their CDN speeds were amazing.

Quote:
But it's pretty expensive too.
That's another stumbling block. Right now I'm on a shoestring budget and need to maintain that at least for a while.
^^^ Help Support GC ^^^
Old 07-11-2024, 08:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach View Post
Ben and Jen’s split goes without saying. That was inevitable. Your girl ever come back?

Forgot to answer your first question. It won’t happen because there’s too many things in place to keep it from happening. Yeah, he can change things, but he can only change so much.
She tried to insinuate it. I saw her at an A Phi A/AKA social.

Quote:
Blocking IPs is probably going to feel like you're playing whack a mole.
Lmao!
Old 07-12-2024, 07:37 PM
GreekChat Member

I see Biden is in Michigan. The presidential limo I think they call “The Beast” as a nickname. Since he’s speaking in Detroit, the presidential limo has probably already been carjacked. They’ll carjack Air Force One in Detroit Lol.
Old 07-12-2024, 10:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I see Biden is in Michigan. The presidential limo I think they call “The Beast” as a nickname. Since he’s speaking in Detroit, the presidential limo has probably already been carjacked. They’ll carjack Air Force One in Detroit Lol.
The Beast is a General Motors vehicle. I’ve worked in Detroit for 35 years and have never been carjacked or robbed or a victim of any crime in any way.
Old 07-12-2024, 10:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Yeah, I was sorta expecting that. I suppose dealing with the probable AI scraper bots might not be too different than the forum spam bots. Actually, thinking about it more it could even be worse than the spam bots as there are no site registration hoops for them to jump through before loading thousands of pages. At least the spam bots can't post if they are blocked from registering through the process that I have setup for GC.

I was thinking about maybe Cloudflare WAF if necessary. Didn't know Akamai also had the service but know they are top tier & top price provider. GC actually was on Akamai's CDN years ago through a very nicely priced reseller, their CDN speeds were amazing.

That's another stumbling block. Right now I'm on a shoestring budget and need to maintain that at least for a while.
Cloudflare is probably more reasonable. Even the Fortune 10 company I used to work for only put critical assets behind Akamai because of the expense. My current employer uses Cloudflare. They give away good swag at security conferences!
Old 07-12-2024, 11:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Haha why you got so much bad blood with Detroit? We had our Conclave there in 2017. I didn’t see any problems. I had a nice time.