GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,333
Threads: 115,508
Welcome to our newest member, Jordandrose
» Online Users: 1,199
0 members and 1,199 guests
No Members online

Old 07-14-2020, 12:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Student's Greek life TikTok story goes viral, says it's "The tip of the iceberg"

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...tok?origin=tuh

Quote:
A 21-year-old Florida State University student has gone viral on TikTok for sharing what she said is her story about being pushed out of a sorority.

JJ Jordan told BuzzFeed News she hopes this "opens up a much bigger conversation" about "systems of oppression." She's also shedding light on other toxic values of Greek life she said she observed.

Earlier this month, Jordan shared on TikTok an incident that she said happened in March 2018 when she was still a member of Kappa Delta. During a "standards" meeting, which was a peer-run review board, she said she was reported by a sorority sister for allegedly being seen "passed out nude in the middle of a frat house."

Jordan denies this ever happened. In 2018 during this meeting, she said she was not believed, and eventually put on probation by the Kappa Delta's national chapter.

"I was never asked if I was hurt or victimized," she says in her TikTok, which has now been watched more than 3.7 million times.

Instead, she said she was told that they had to "have a good relationship with this fraternity [and] we have to be aware with how we’re presenting with this fraternity."

"As I began to explain myself out of it, I realized I shouldn’t have to," Jordan added. "I realized it was very concerning that no one was saying, 'Are you OK?' No matter how much truth or falsity there was to the statement ... no one asked the older sister, 'Why would you leave anyone in a fraternity house alone?' That really became an issue with me. I really was not OK with that."

Kappa Delta's national headquarters told BuzzFeed News they had reached out to Jordan about her TikTok and conducted "an internal review of the incident."

"Based on the information we had readily available, we determined that our chapter adhered closely to the established Standards process, which is similar to the protocol followed by many other National Panhellenic Conference sororities," said Heidi Roy, the director of communications for Kappa Delta.

"Even so, we will be providing additional education on our processes for the current chapter leaders and advisors," Roy added.

Jordan soon left Kappa Delta. She said she had stayed quiet about it until recently, when she watched different national conversations about systemic oppression branch out of the Black Lives Matter movement. She decided to speak out.

"Sororities and fraternities are a huge system of oppression. It perpetuates elitism and classism and systemic racism. I think that it became time to start dismantling that system as well," she said.
The story continues from there.

@~/~~~~

Last edited by ASTalumna06; 07-14-2020 at 01:09 AM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-14-2020, 01:41 AM
GreekChat Member

^^^Tale as old as time...recalling a few stories from an unnamed early-in-the-century book some recall.

NOT EVERY GREEK CHAPTER IS LIKE HERS. Young people make mistakes. Grand generalizations about greek chapters always take away eyes from all the good performed by same.
Old 07-14-2020, 07:15 AM
Super Moderator

While I will not reveal my sources, I have it on good authority that the story she is telling is not reality. Being held accountable for repeated poor and harmful decisions is not the same as being a victim.
Old 07-14-2020, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator

KD should sue her for defamation.
Old 07-14-2020, 09:26 AM
GreekChat Member

"As I began to explain myself out of it, " - this is telling to me.....
Old 07-14-2020, 11:20 AM
GreekChat Member

"Kappa Delta's National Headquarters told Buzzfeed..."

Really? When do members of any of our National Headquarters talk about personal sorority/fraternity issue with Buzzfeed? When do members of any of our National Headquarters talk to the media about any personal sorority/fraternity issue?

DaffyKD
Old 07-14-2020, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaffyKD View Post
"Kappa Delta's National Headquarters told Buzzfeed..."

Really? When do members of any of our National Headquarters talk about personal sorority/fraternity issue with Buzzfeed? When do members of any of our National Headquarters talk to the media about any personal sorority/fraternity issue?

DaffyKD
Exactly!