GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,386
2 members and 1,384 guests
LaneSig, TLLK

Old 10-18-2018, 09:37 AM

Sigma Phi Epsilon has been closed at Dartmouth College(NH) due to RMF.

On a happier note, Plymouth State University(NH) has made a goal to "re-imagine and reinvent" their Greek Life.

' "Greek life began to take shape at the University in the early 1950s and remained an important campus component for nearly 50 years. After a hiatus of more than 15 years, sanctioned fraternities and sororities will return as a key part of a reimagined student success and retention program.

President Donald Birx announced the new direction in March 2018. “Since my arrival at Plymouth State three years ago, I’ve thought often that our campus would benefit from active, community-centered Greek life as I’ve experienced on other campuses during my career,” he said. “Having worked in environments with fraternities and sororities, I found them to be positive factors with an orientation towards service, community, and school pride.' "

https://www.plymouth.edu/magazine/sp...k-life-at-psu/

Sigma Pi has colonized at the college.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)

Last edited by LaneSig; 10-20-2018 at 05:12 PM.
Old 10-18-2018, 11:47 AM
GreekChat Member

The Plymouth State proposal does sound positive. I am confused about the statement that there was a Greek system 50 years ago that has taken a hiatus. Was that system all fraternities? I ask because the NPC recruitment thread shows only DZ and ASA as ever having been on the campus. There do seem to be several local social groups and national service groups that also have Greek letter names. Could this be about encouraging these organizations affiliate with NPC or IFC groups? Or is this about expanding campus membership affiliations to current non-joiners to build bonds for future alumnus? Would enjoy knowing more about what the university offers the groups in the way of group living, dining, meeting, or workshop opportunities as that is what would probably attract interest in national extension on the NPC/IFC end. Support of the administration means everything to any campus endeavor. So glad to read about an administration that sees the mutual benefit of membership in a smaller personal group with being part of a greater educational institution.
Old 10-18-2018, 11:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Plymouth State does currently have Greek life, so it seems like the president instead wants to expand it. Delta Zeta and Kappa Delta Phi NAS have chapters there, along with another local sorority. And there is one fraternity (not sure if it is a colony or not). These are listed on their student organization directory.
Old 10-20-2018, 10:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Pi Kappa Phi at LSU has been placed on suspension due to a potential serious violation.
http://www.lsunow.com/daily/lsu-susp...60e2ec804.html
Old 10-20-2018, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetaIotaDZ View Post
The Plymouth State proposal does sound positive. I am confused about the statement that there was a Greek system 50 years ago that has taken a hiatus. Was that system all fraternities? I ask because the NPC recruitment thread shows only DZ and ASA as ever having been on the campus. There do seem to be several local social groups and national service groups that also have Greek letter names. Could this be about encouraging these organizations affiliate with NPC or IFC groups? Or is this about expanding campus membership affiliations to current non-joiners to build bonds for future alumnus? Would enjoy knowing more about what the university offers the groups in the way of group living, dining, meeting, or workshop opportunities as that is what would probably attract interest in national extension on the NPC/IFC end. Support of the administration means everything to any campus endeavor. So glad to read about an administration that sees the mutual benefit of membership in a smaller personal group with being part of a greater educational institution.
A lot of Plymouth’s problems back then came from an incompetent Greek advisor who refused to recognize or assist the (some of them long-standing) locals, even when they requested it and had no desire to be “underground.”

I’m sure most institutions would prefer national groups so as to spread out the responsibility & not have it all on the school, but if that’s not happening, you need to work with what you have instead of belittling and pushing away people.

This new prez is coming from Penn State Behrend so hopefully he is realistic about what to expect for a school of this size and demographics.
Old 10-22-2018, 12:28 PM

Congratulations to the following groups on chartering this past weekend:

Zeta Tau Alpha- Piedmont College(GA)

Alpha Kappa Lambda- Ohio State University

Kappa Sigma has begun colonization at the University of North Texas.

Lambda Phi Epsilon has been closed at California Polytechnic State University-San Luis Obispo. Closure is due to RMF.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 10-22-2018, 12:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Our expansion team has begun recolonization of our Omicron chapter at Penn State.
Old 10-23-2018, 07:59 PM
GreekChat Member

This past weekend marked an historic event as Zeta Beta Tau (ZBT) established its first colony at IDC Herzliya, Israel. 40 men were pinned and initiated as the founding fathers to the new colony. This marks the fourth Country were ZBT is represented. Congratulations Brothers!!!

ZBT:"Brotherhood Of A Lifetime"
Old 10-23-2018, 09:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVODUDE View Post
This past weekend marked an historic event as Zeta Beta Tau (ZBT) established its first colony at IDC Herzliya, Israel. 40 men were pinned and initiated as the founding fathers to the new colony. This marks the fourth Country were ZBT is represented. Congratulations Brothers!!!

Very cool! Congratulations!

True and Constant
Old 10-26-2018, 11:47 AM

Pi Kappa Phi has been closed at East Carolina University(NC). Closure is due to RMF.

Old 10-26-2018, 06:43 PM

Sigma Nu has closed their chapter at San Diego State University(CA). Closure is due to RMF.

Old 10-27-2018, 01:27 AM
GreekChat Member

New York

*SUNY-Old Westbury: Per the FSL website, there's a moratorium on expansion of new and former organizations. This will be in place for at least the academic year of 2018-2019.

https://www.oldwestbury.edu/life/csli/greek-life
Old 10-28-2018, 06:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Univ Iowa Suspends:

The nine are: Pi Kappa Alpha, Beta Theta Pi, Pi Kappi Phi, Acacia, Sigma Pi, Phi Delta Theta, Sigma Phi Epsilon, Sigma Alpha Epsilon and Delta Chi.

University vice president Melissa Shivers says "the blatant and systemic failure to curb holding dangerous open events with alcohol, including tailgates, will stop." At a news conference Wednesday, Shivers didn't describe any specific events or incidents that led to the suspensions.

The suspensions mean the chapters cannot participate in some organization-sponsored meetings, programs, social events, intramural sports or homecoming activities.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 10-29-2018, 12:16 PM

Congratulations to Tau Epsilon Phi on chartering at the University of Maryland.

Old 10-29-2018, 01:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Pi Kappa Phi suspended by University of North Texas until 2020 over hazing incident in February. House is reverting back to KΣ.

https://www.dentonrc.com/education/h...c828eb09e.html