GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Academics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,599
1 members and 2,598 guests
FSUZeta

Old 06-19-2012, 12:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
I just want to add... They have a student run hotel/restaurant and a store where goods that are handmade by the students are sold. We're not talking arts and crafts things. We're talking really well made incredible wood crafts, furniture, ceramics, etc. We ate at the restaurant and the food was fantastic. Now the last time I was there was probably 25 years ago, but I was so impressed. It is through this store, hotel and restaurant that they can continue having a tuition free college.

Craft store site: https://bereacollegecrafts.com/
Hotel/restaurant: http://www.boonetavernhotel.com/

I think I need to go there again, in fact. I loved that place.
AGDee-
It's been over 30 years since I have been there, but I had a similar impression. My big sis & her Sigma Chi husband moved there after graduation and came to get me to show me Berea. I forgot about the restaurant but remember the store - the quality of the crafts/artwork was pretty amazing. It's one of the places in KY that I've always wanted to visit again. We'll have to stay at the hotel- I never made the connection with the name of the hotel & Berea College.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-19-2012, 06:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbino View Post
AGDee-
It's been over 30 years since I have been there, but I had a similar impression. My big sis & her Sigma Chi husband moved there after graduation and came to get me to show me Berea. I forgot about the restaurant but remember the store - the quality of the crafts/artwork was pretty amazing.
My parents always had a broom from there on the hearth. We have it now -- it must be 50+ years old, and it is beautiful.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
My parents always had a broom from there on the hearth. We have it now -- it must be 50+ years old, and it is beautiful.
Berea College & the town is a special place. It's the #1 arts & crafts town in KY, and it is really growing. Now I want to go there & buy things for the house. I'll have to wait until we can go & spend a fair amount of cash. The store website indicates that you can order things, though.

I can't believe that I never made the connection between the restaurant/ hotel and the college. I always thought that Boone's Tavern was just another reason to visit Berea. There ae so many really good Southern- style restaurants around Kentucky. I've been in back in Chicago too long.

Last edited by barbino; 06-19-2012 at 08:07 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-19-2012, 08:21 PM
GreekChat Member

College of the Atlantic

I can edit again! Thank you!
College of the Atlantic - Bar Harbor, ME

This is a small private liberal arts college by the ocean. Founded in 1969, this alternative college allows its students to design their own curriculum, so each student's program is individualized and interdisciplinary. All of the approx. 350 students have human ecology as their major because this college is exceptionally concerned with environmental and ecological issues.
Students at COA are taught to "think out of the box." COA is a Maine Sea Grant college program so students can study & work with marine life. Princeton Review cited COA in its Best Colleges book. The college is committed to sustainability both on its campus and throughout the global community.
The campus is known for its beauty (it is located near Arcadia National Park). COA offers two degrees: the Bachelor of Arts and the Master of Philosophy; in human ecology.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I can edit again! Thank you!
College of the Atlantic - Bar Harbor, ME

This is a small private liberal arts college by the ocean. Founded in 1969, this alternative college allows its students to design their own curriculum, so each student's program is individualized and interdisciplinary. All of the approx. 350 students have human ecology as their major because this college is exceptionally concerned with environmental and ecological issues.
Students at COA are taught to "think out of the box." COA is a Maine Sea Grant college program so students can study & work with marine life. Princeton Review cited COA in its Best Colleges book. The college is committed to sustainability both on its campus and throughout the global community.
The campus is known for its beauty (it is located near ACADIA National Park). COA offers two degrees: the Bachelor of Arts and the Master of Philosophy; in human ecology.

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks- I had it written as Acadia but typed it as Arcadia. I'm unfamiliar with the college but know it through a former classmate who transferred from Shimer to COA at the college president's suggestion.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:03 PM
GreekChat Member

The Spertus Institute of Jewish Studies - Chicago, IL

The Spertus Institute has degree programs in Jewish Studies, Professional Studies, and Non-Profit Management. This is a graduate program/degree only institution, with approx. 300 students. Founded in 1924 as Chicago's College for Jewish Studies, Spertus promotes Jewish learning initiatives and culture. Spertus has a large library and a museum in its building on Michigan Avenue. Promoting lifelong learning and distance learning, Spertus also preserves Judaic history, especially in the Chicago area Jewish community.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:19 PM
GreekChat Member

EXCO - The Experimental College of the Twin Cities - St. Paul, MN

Started in 2006 as an experimental attempt at Macalester College (St. Paul, MN), EXCO was designed to be an alternative college experiment, similar to the experimental colleges of the 1960's (example: Franconia College, 1963-1978). The focus here was to provide equal financial aid for all rather than a system designed to give wealthy students an advantage. Yet another attempt to provide a University with utopian ideals, EXCO has focused on producing an all-volunteer institution, offering approx. 60-70 classes a semester. The emphasis at EXCO is the practice of co-learning, where learning is shared between all participants. EXCO offers programs that are dramatically different from the collegiate norm. This academic community remains intent on breaking down all barriers to a multi-ethnic, multi-cultural, educationally and economically equal organization. EXCO is a modern continuation of the "Colleges Who Experiment" movement (see Colleges Without Walls).

Notes: see Eli Meyerhoff, Papers -Toward a University of the Commons- The Experimental College of the Twin Cities.
Old 06-29-2012, 03:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Berea College & the town is a special place. It's the #1 arts & crafts town in KY, and it is really growing. Now I want to go there & buy things for the house. I'll have to wait until we can go & spend a fair amount of cash. The store website indicates that you can order things, though.

I can't believe that I never made the connection between the restaurant/hotel and the college. I always thought that Boone's Tavern was just another reason to visit Berea. There ae so many really good Southern - style restaurants around Kentucky. I've been in back in Chicago too long.
Word!
Old 07-05-2012, 06:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Here are two Vermont colleges from 2 towns that sound alike:

Green Mountain College - Poultney, VT

Like College of the Atlantic, Green Mountain College is a liberal arts college with a consideration for all aspects of the environment. Founded in 1834, GMC has about 700 students at its rural Vermont campus. Affiliated with the United Methodist Church, GMC is ranked by U.S. News. The student-faculty ratio is 14:1 with small classes being the norm. There are 22 majors and 27 minors, with an interdisciplinary focus. GMC also offers 3 Master's programs: the MBA, an M.S. in Environmental Studies, and a Master's in Sustainable Food Systems.

With an appreciation of environmental awareness and "green" living, GMC offers its students a liberal arts education with attention to ecological issues. Community service learning (service to one's local community as well as the global community as a whole) is included in GMC's curriculum. Green Mountain College works to engage its students in environmentally based projects.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Landmark College - Putney, VT

Founded in 1985, Landmark College provides an accredited 2-yr. program for approx. 485 students with learning disabilities such as ADD, ADHD, ASD (autism spectrum disorder), dyslexia, etc. Offering advanced support to assist students in the learning process, Landmark's special resource network focuses on each student's special needs. Personalized programs within a major allow students to focus on the curriculum that each student desires. Associate of Arts programs offered at Landmark include: Business Administration, Life Sciences, Computer Science/Gaming and Liberal Studies (B.A. in Liberal Studies also).

Landmark has a chapter of Phi Theta Kappa (honor society for 2-yr. colleges) and a full list of student activities and clubs like the chess club, anime & manga club, gaming club, and the jewelry club. There is a radio station, newspaper, community outreach group, and athletics at Landmark College. The Adventure Education department uses an experiential model of learning to give students access to rock climbing and wilderness first-aid techniques to build self-esteem and critical thinking ability.

This "innovative education model" helps students to discover the learning style that will allow for academic success (college website). The academic community acknowledges that students learn differently, and helps students identify interesting career opportunities and attain academic strengths. Landmark's mission includes changing the public perception of learning for students with learning issues and disorders.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Eastern Michigan University is located in Ypsilanti, MI, about 20 minutes away from Ann Arbor, MI, and about 45 minutes from Detroit.
EMU has one of the nation's leading education programs, particularly for special education, in which Eastern is ranked #1 in the state of Michigan.
They also have many other majors from all subject areas, a beautiful campus, and an incredible Greek system.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Thiel College
I currently attend Thiel and I absolutely love it! We are a small college - the freshman class consists of about 300 students, but this year's graduating class is 122. Due to our small size, there is a lot of 1 on 1 time with the faculty. My professors are always avaliable to chat if I need help. The campus is small. Freshman live up campus, literally a 2 minute walk away from campus, and upperclassmen are just across the street down campus. There is a small greek life presence, and a ton of clubs and activities. Thiel is located in the small town of Greenville, PA. A majority of activities are free - the school recently took students up to New York City for a day for free. They have wings and sings, free wings and karaoke, and they have lots of bonfires, and parties. I love the campus.

www.thiel.edu
Old 12-18-2012, 11:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLake View Post
I won't go into too much depth, but Ohio Northern University is the only college in the US where a Pharmacy student can earn their PharmD in just 6 years. First year students are automatically accepted into the program when they receive their acceptance to the college. The college draws from all over the US for this reason.
I know three other pharmacists who got their undergrad degree somewhere, and then had to apply to pharmacy schools (like Ohio State and Cincinnati). They were in college for 7-8 years. They all regret not going to ONU and being done in 6 years. The only reason they all opted not to go to ONU was because of the rural location.
I might be mistaken, but I'm fairly certain that Northeastern University in Boston has a 6 year PharmD program - and that's with three 4 month co-ops thrown in.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:37 AM
GreekChat Member

My nephew decided to go to Ohio State this fall. He finally decided between OSU & Michigan State. He applied to Illinois and Wisconsin & was waitlisted & eventually accepted at both. He applied to Xavier (Cincinnatti) and UCONN and was accepted at each. Only Boston University denied him. I was right; his parents let him make his own decision although they considered the financial aid at each school.

He did upset my one brother by refusing to even apply to Duke. But I told him that his fraternity is there & they have a big house. Recruitment is second semester, so I'll let you all know what happens.

I can't wait to visit and see the campus; he said that he wants us to visit him during his first semester.

Last edited by barbino; 06-20-2013 at 02:56 AM. Reason: grammar