GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,428
1 members and 1,427 guests
Titchou

Old 12-08-2017, 02:00 AM
GreekChat Member

My Badge Was Stolen

My apartment was burglarized a few weeks ago. They didn't get much in monetary value, but they did take some small jewelry items with much sentimental value, including my Tri Delta badge. I had also rescued a vintage Tri Delta badge online (paid for with Christmas gift money from my parents), and of course that's gone now too.

I'm over the shock of the burglary and feel more angry than violated (how dare someone come into my home and go through and help themselves to my things??!!), but I'm just heartsick over losing the badges. It makes me just sick to think those items might end up for sale online somewhere or in a pawn shop or flea market. The police were especially interested in my description of the badge, since it has my name and initials. Presumably because it's helpful identifying info maybe? And I e-mailed the detective a picture of what they look like (unfortunately the other vintage badge I rescued didn't have markings on the back).

I already obtained the paperwork from Tri Delta to order a replacement badge, and hope to do that soon, but I still long for the stolen badges. Can anyone else relate? If you lost your original badge and then got a replacement, did it feel the same? Did it have less meaning because it wasn't your original badge?

Or...did your initials or member number or other markings on it help reunite it with you? I feel kind of guilty too that my badge is now just "out there" instead of with me. My badges are/were so meaningful and precious to me, and I could never understand how a badge ends up for sale online or elsewhere (was it stolen? did its owner die? did the original owner sell it themselves?) and now mine are part of that sad situation.
Old 12-08-2017, 07:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Mine was stolen also....a white gold all diamond DG badge. They were no longer making the white gold all diamond so I got the yellow gold. Wasn't the same-still isn't but I do like it better now. I wear it in a disc on a chain these days.
Old 12-10-2017, 12:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Mine was stolen also....a white gold all diamond DG badge. They were no longer making the white gold all diamond so I got the yellow gold. Wasn't the same-still isn't but I do like it better now. I wear it in a disc on a chain these days.
Thank you for this information as my mother's badge is exactly like yours. We'll want to make sure that it is cared for in the future.
Old 12-11-2017, 06:22 PM
GreekChat Member

My original 30+-year-old pearl badge with guard, along with a plain badge almost as old, was stolen at a hotel. I've kept watch on eBay over the years, but they've never surfaced. They were probably melted for the gold.
I keep hoping, but no luck. I've replaced them, but they're not quite the same.

Old 12-12-2017, 08:21 PM
GreekChat Member

My beautiful original badge was stolen - AT CONVENTION - in 1988. Never turned up. I've replaced it twice - one for my ring, one to wear - but I miss MY badge.
Old 12-16-2017, 01:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
My original 30+-year-old pearl badge with guard, along with a plain badge almost as old, was stolen at a hotel. I've kept watch on eBay over the years, but they've never surfaced. They were probably melted for the gold.
I keep hoping, but no luck. I've replaced them, but they're not quite the same.

Put on you F B site and and make sure you have pix of it (I HOPE) front and back if engraving marks of any kind. Shout it to the sky and all internet contacts you have.

I know my first Badge is very special to me!! White gold, pearls in the crescent, sapphires in the Lambda. If it was stolen, I would go bug nuts!!!!!!

Good luck sweety!!!!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 12-16-2017, 01:35 PM
GreekChat Member

I would, but it was stolen in 2001. There was no Facebook in 2001!

Old 12-08-2017, 09:41 AM
GreekChat Member

I have purchased three ADPi badges from eBay over the years that ended up belonging to other sisters who were still living. One I reached out to and was able to get in touch with her daughter and return it, one I'm still in the process of getting her information to send it back, and the last woman sent me a beautiful card in response to my letter saying that as long as I was a sister, I could keep it and think of her.

Keep checking ebay and shopgoodwill-I will keep an eye out as well!
Old 12-09-2017, 02:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
I have purchased three ADPi badges from eBay over the years that ended up belonging to other sisters who were still living. One I reached out to and was able to get in touch with her daughter and return it, one I'm still in the process of getting her information to send it back, and the last woman sent me a beautiful card in response to my letter saying that as long as I was a sister, I could keep it and think of her.

Keep checking ebay and shopgoodwill-I will keep an eye out as well!
clemsongirl, I tried to send you a PM last night but your PM box is full!
Old 12-09-2017, 05:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lake View Post
clemsongirl, I tried to send you a PM last night but your PM box is full!
I cleared some space!
Old 12-08-2017, 10:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Did the police give you any suggestions for notifying local jewelry stores to be on the look out? Do they think the burglary was "professional" -- IDK if most stolen badges get fenced through ebay, or melted down. I'm guessing a "pro" would know how to fence them with less chance of them being tracked back.

My daughter bought a vintage opal Pi Phi badge a couple years ago, which had been rescued on ebay by one of our Gamma Phi "Crescent Catchers." She offered it through the Crescent Catchers to anyone with a Pi Phi connection. My daughter worked with Fran Becque and they found out the member was still alive. My daughter called her and spoke to her husband. The member sold it herself, because it didn't really "mean anything to her anymore." That upset my daughter, but she feels like it's honored now. She and her lttle took turns wearing it her senior year.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:28 AM
GreekChat Member

That happened to one of my sisters. It's heartbreaking.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:48 AM
GreekChat Member

The same thing happened to me many years ago. Our brand new home was burglarized 2 days after we moved in :-( My whole jewelry box was stolen with my badge inside. It was a plain Theta badge, nothing unique, but it was special to me. I have since purchased several slightly fancier badges from ebay and they are special to me now.

I came to accept that although I loved my first badge, it is only a symbol of the support and sisterhood that I share with other Thetas. The badge is not the most important thing about my affiliation with Theta.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:20 PM
GreekChat Member

My original badge (gold with garnets and diamonds) was stolen and pawned out of state by a room mate's brother. The room mate was a member of another fraternity and the brother was a GDI. I've since replaced it with 3 badges, but that one badge was a birthday present from my mother.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:37 PM

I'm so sorry this happened to you, lake, and to you also, Titchou, thetalady, ARKTTKA, and jolene's sister.

I still have the badge with which I was initiated. It was one of the few pieces of jewelry I brought with me when I moved (rather abruptly) to a new city for a new job.

My wedding ring is another story. About a decade ago, I had it resized as I had lost some weight. I took it to a jeweler whom my parents trusted. When it was ready, my mother picked it up, took it home so that I could pick it up from her when I next visited - and then she lost my ring.

To her credit, she had the jeweler make me a new ring, at her expense. My husband lent his wedding ring to the jeweler (as our rings were a matched set) and the jeweler made a ring in my size using the design on my husband's ring.

My parents have since passed away. My husband and I went through their house very carefully, but the original ring never turned up.

Anyone who doesn't know the story would think the ring I'm currently wearing is the ring I got on our wedding day. But I know ...

Similarly, nothing can quite replace your first badge.