GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 803
0 members and 803 guests
No Members online

Old 03-22-2014, 11:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Should I drop my sorority?

I'm currently alumni status in my sorority as a junior. I joined freshman year during the spring. From the start the sorority seemed cliquey and I was uncomfortable because I didn't know a single girl upon joining. In addition I felt out of place because being ethnic I look much different than most of the girls. I always wanted to be in a sorority and this was definitely my top choice however it was just difficult trying to integrate myself into friend groups. I of course had a big assigned to me but I've come to realize we don't have much in common and therefore aren't really close. Come sophomore year relationships were still distant and I was only close with a couple girls if that. Unfortunately I was depressed at this time and I ended up having a public mental breakdown that winter. I never dissed the sorority during this but most of the girls still think I deliberately wanted to tarnish their image or that i was on drugs/crazy. I took a semester off and then went abroad. I'm back now and most of the girls are flat out ignoring me even though I spoke in front of them and declared I took time off as a medical leave. I just don't know what to do at this point. I feel so disconnected from campus with few friends to turn to. Should I try to stay in the sorority even though there are girls who clearly don't want anything to do with me?
Old 03-22-2014, 11:58 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm confused. Why are you going to chapter if you are an alum? Secondly, you've been out of school for a while and these people don't know you...and you're an alum. I'm not sure what you expect. I'm not trying to be harsh - I just don't understand. Alums are not normally included in chapter events except as advisers so it's odd that you expect to be.
Old 03-23-2014, 12:02 AM
GreekChat Member

To clarify, I'm alumni status because I took a semester off. It was due to a medical reason and now I am back on campus.
Old 03-23-2014, 12:11 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm confused as well.

If you have returned to your campus and your chapter, and your medical inactivity has ended, then are you on active status again? Are you paying dues?
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 03-23-2014, 12:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Not paying dues. Currently in limbo, completely inactive.
Old 03-23-2014, 12:19 AM
GreekChat Member

If your medical inactivity has formally ended, I would check to see if you need to return to active status. That would involve paying dues. But, if your organization permits you to retain alumnae status even though you are currently re-enrolled on your campus, then why would you need to resign?

Membership is for a lifetime, and you'd be giving that up if you resign.

(alumna is female singular, alumnae is female plural).
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 03-23-2014, 12:57 AM
GreekChat Member

True but there are girls who are blatantly ignoring me because of my medical condition and the fact that they think I tarnished their reputation. So that's why I'm conflicted.
Old 03-23-2014, 01:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoore View Post
True but there are girls who are blatantly ignoring me because of my medical condition and the fact that they think I tarnished their reputation. So that's why I'm conflicted.
Why would they think you tarnished their reputation?

@~/~~~~
Old 03-23-2014, 01:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoore View Post
No. You missed my point. You need to find out if you're an alumna or if you have to return to active status.

That's where you start. Then I think I'd follow Jen's advice.

As for the "tarnish the reputation" and "blatantly ignoring" business, I'm not going there. I learned a long time ago that you can't control what other people think, do, say, or feel.
Old 03-23-2014, 02:25 AM
GreekChat Member

I had a medical condition sophomore year that impaired my judgement and caused me to post questionable posts on Facebook. They thought I was on drugs and that I made the sorority look bad. I took a semester off and returned after studying abroad. I'm a junior now but still remain alumni status.
Old 03-23-2014, 05:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Emoore, if you are an alumna (the term is not "alumni"), then whether the chapter ignores you or embraces you is irrelevant. You no longer are eligible to participate in he collegiate chapter. You can, however, participate in the local alumnae (plural of "alumna") chapter if there is one. If you are an alumna, then you don't need to drop. You have, in effect, graduated to post-collegiate status.

If, during your time away, you had been notified to pay dues or take an action on your memebership and did nothing, your membership might have been terminated. It is important that you speak with the chapter advisor to confirm your status. Then it is possible to determine next steps.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:55 AM

How long were you away from school? If it was less than a year, which is the impression I'm getting, you may have automatically reverted back to active status.

You need to speak to you President, VP, or whoever can confirm, to know what your status is at this point. If you're still alum status, find out if you even have to do anything more. In my own sorority, if you've been gone more than a year you can keep alum status and no longer be part of the chapter even if your back on campus. I get the feeling that would be ideal for you.

Whether or not you should drop your sorority is complicated.

How many years do you have left in school?
Are you really over your medical (mental) condition?
Is there anyone at all in the chapter that you have a friendship with on any level?

To be blunt, I get the impression that you're still dealing with some mental health issues (extreme stress, depression, whatever it really is) and dropping your chapter could cause you to become even more isolated. But, staying could also cause you stress and become more isolated.

Do you have other activities, connections and friendships outside of the sorority? Do you have a peer support system of any kind? If not, I want to encourage you to get that in place ASAP. You'll probably need therapy too.

Now, your sisters that are shunning you. They're lame. They're also normal. The vast of the majority does not understand "mental breakdowns". The vast of the majority also interprets others behavior in relation only to their own feelings. They're not mental health experts so they're not going to understand that your breakdown was minimally about them and certainly wasn't a way for you to intentionally make them look bad. Please forgive them.

Last edited by SoCalGirl; 03-23-2014 at 08:00 AM.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:33 AM
GreekChat Member

I echo what the other women have posted. You need to find out what your status is are you active and are expected to pay dues to that chapter or are you still on inactive status. If you were granted early alumnae status, then you really shouldn't have any expectation to participate or be apart of that collegiate chapter.

It sounds like that perhaps you'd be better off going to early alumnae status if your sorority allows you to do so. Again you'd need to check with the appropriate member of your sorority to determine if this is an option. If early alumnae status is available to you, then consider trying to get involved with an alumnae chapter if there is on near your campus.

It sounds like your situation is complicated with regard to your mental health issues. Above anything else you need to take care of yourself and get to a place of wellness. Unfortunately if you said or did something disparaging to your sorority and depending on the degree of how this took place, yes you may have alienated yourself even more from the collegiate chapter. With life comes experience, and I would guess that maybe your sorority sisters never encountered such a thing before, so I'm sure they may not understand what to do, or even how to act around you.

I wish you the best and hope you are able to get things clarified and make the best decision for your health and well-being.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:52 AM
GreekChat Member

As a standards adviser, I have noticed that members frequently do not understand leaves of absence, alumnae status or any other policy of their GLO. I will echo the other posters and recommend that you contact the appropriate officer or Chapter Adviser. I would be very surprised if you were granted alumna status for what you describe. If you find out that you are truly an alumna, it is a gift. You have no need to drop your membership. You can just walk away from those women who are being unsisterly and never interact again. No one is perfect. Not you. Not them.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 03-23-2014, 10:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Everyone is saying essentially the same thing here. It's just explained all sorts of ways. I hope you will follow our suggestions and advice.

Mental "conditions" are medical. The stigma needs to go away, but that is going to take decades.

WARNING: rant/ And as for the social media issue (Facebook postings you referred to, and I would not have put that out there myself, either on FB in the first place or here in response to anyone's question, but that's how I roll), well - it appears that this is a generation used to spewing everything all over the Internet, and photographing and documenting every sneeze. Somewhere along the line the concept of being human and forgiving one another has gone totally out the window, along with discretion as to what to share. Too much media pollution, not enough privacy and respect and tolerance for one another. /end of rant.