GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,472
0 members and 2,472 guests
No Members online

Old 09-14-2007, 01:02 PM
GreekChat Member

And I think this one applies as well!

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-14-2007, 01:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Okay...just one more because I love them sooo!

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 09-15-2007, 12:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Basically we have a poster who has some sort of grudge against "popular" people to the point where she would believe just about anything negative that could ever be said about them.

Sorry you didn't get to sit at the cool kids table back in high school, but get over it. That sort of popularity doesn't mean much once you become a real adult anyhow.

And, just out of curiosity, is this hypothetical sorority a local or a national group? Highly unlikely you'd see that sort of thing in a national organization b/c they'd be busted quickly. Locals operate under their own rules. (Not saying that any locals would do that either, of course...just that they'd be more likely to get away with it for at least a little while if it happened.)

P.S. What's the over/under on her boyfriend having a girl on the side in a sorority, and wanting to distance bluewhatever as much from sorority life as possible so she doesn't find out? "Hmmn...if I tell her awful things about sorority life, she'll never talk to any of them..."
Old 09-15-2007, 11:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemay414 View Post
Tell someone? Come one! First of all there is the proof. The so called "popular" groups are the worst and they have power. There is intimidation used and who wants to be the one to 'rat them out'. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that there are rules broken all the time, but everyone turns a blind eye to it. I'm just saying it is wrong and I'm disgusted that it happens and especially allowed among these so called 'popular' groups. I have found that the 'popular' groups (in HS and College) are filled with some of the meanest people. The other members are so terrified of the others that they go along with things so they won't be turned on themselves. And if anyone out there says this is hogwash, then fine, believe what you want. All I can say is, I know what I know. Don't believe me if you don't want to. But this forum is about Hazing and I just thought some people might want a heads up before getting themselves involved in something that they will not feel comfortable with. And be prepared to do A LOT of drinking! If you don't like to drink, this might be a huge problem for you in becoming a pledge. A LOT of Sororities and esp. Fraternities will be making you drink a lot of alcohol. For real!
For some reason, I stopped reading my morning paper in order to read most of your postings.
In several threads and topics.
My hat, if I was wearing one, is off to you. You are a great troll.
IMHO, you are repeating many stories that at some point in time may have accrued at some place or another. Once, perhaps even twice.
And in this day and age, there would be proof.
And in this day and age, reports would be made.
And as my chapters photographer, I have over 6,000 slides and negatives in my possession. Do they show drinking (and some other drugs)-yes. As would a GDI room or dorm at that time would.
Given todays technologies, anything you are posting about would be "out there".
Does hazing go on-YES!
This is from Cornell-NOTE where the word "false" is:
http://www.hazing.cornell.edu/incide...criptions.html
http://www.hazing.cornell.edu/incide...ngBlotter.html

Took me less time to find that site than to write most of my post.
So, here is your challenge:
Find sites that back-up your claims. ALL of them.

And BTB, the term I was taught to be correct: Fraternity, NOT "frat".
Old 09-15-2007, 12:28 PM
GreekChat Member

If you know of hazing and you are not a member of the Greek System, you should report your specific concerns (what organizations were involved, when it occurred, what occurred) of what you have heard to the campus Greek Adviser. Hazing is a felony crime in many states and against the honor code at every university.

I can't believe a group of women would voluntarily submit to being naked in front of a group of men to be touched and prodded while others members of their groups watch and heckle them. That just sounds too absurd, and I've dealt with too many campuses to believe that would happen.

I am not saying hazing doesn't occur, but that just sounds like a spread in Hustler.

And if anyone ever finds themselves being asked to do something that they know is wrong, or instinctively doesn't feel right, goes against their norms and values, they have the obligation to say no and get out of there and report it. And if they are coerced, they need to report it immediately afterward so that steps can be taken to punish the offenders and help the victims.
Old 09-15-2007, 02:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpiucf View Post
If you know of hazing and you are not a member of the Greek System, you should report your specific concerns (what organizations were involved, when it occurred, what occurred) of what you have heard to the campus Greek Adviser. Hazing is a felony crime in many states and against the honor code at every university.

I can't believe a group of women would voluntarily submit to being naked in front of a group of men to be touched and prodded while others members of their groups watch and heckle them. That just sounds too absurd, and I've dealt with too many campuses to believe that would happen.

I am not saying hazing doesn't occur, but that just sounds like a spread in Hustler.

And if anyone ever finds themselves being asked to do something that they know is wrong, or instinctively doesn't feel right, goes against their norms and values, they have the obligation to say no and get out of there and report it. And if they are coerced, they need to report it immediately afterward so that steps can be taken to punish the offenders and help the victims.
Just to follow adpiucf, here is just some of many sites that list definitions and/or examples of hazing.
And those who have been on RM know the disagreements we have had over some of them.
And we know that codes, rules and laws are different everywhere.
That said:
http://www.stophazing.org/definition.html
http://www.insidehazing.com/definitions.php

Last edited by jon1856; 09-15-2007 at 02:05 PM.
Old 09-15-2007, 03:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemay414 View Post
sad but sorry it is true
Since you are so insistent that this "information" is true, I have no choice now but to believe that *you* were the one who was dumb enough to let some people circle your fat while you were lined up naked (particularly because you are also warning other women to not let this happen to them).

But let's say we go with your original story: If my boyfriend told me that he was circling the fat on naked women, we'd have a serious problem. Not only that, I would think he was a wimp for not standing up to his brothers and choosing to participate in something like this. I'm not sure why you are even with someone like that, but then again, looking at your posts...

(sad, but sorry, it is true...)

Last edited by LatinaAlumna; 09-15-2007 at 03:16 PM.
Old 09-15-2007, 03:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatinaAlumna View Post
Since you are so insistent that this "information" is true, I have no choice now but to believe that *you* were the one who was dumb enough to let some people circle your fat while you were lined up naked (particularly because you are also warning other women to not let this happen to them).

But let's say we go with your original story: If my boyfriend told me that he was circling the fat on naked women, we'd have a serious problem. Not only that, I would think he was a wimp for not standing up to his brothers and choosing to participate in something like this. I'm not sure why you are even with someone like that, but then again, looking at your posts...

You win!
Old 09-15-2007, 03:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon1856 View Post
For some reason, I stopped reading my morning paper in order to read most of your postings.
In several threads and topics.
My hat, if I was wearing one, is off to you. You are a great troll.
IMHO, you are repeating many stories that at some point in time may have accrued at some place or another. Once, perhaps even twice.
And in this day and age, there would be proof.
And in this day and age, reports would be made.
And as my chapters photographer, I have over 6,000 slides and negatives in my possession. Do they show drinking (and some other drugs)-yes. As would a GDI room or dorm at that time would.
Given todays technologies, anything you are posting about would be "out there".
Does hazing go on-YES!

So, here is your challenge:
Find sites that back-up your claims. ALL of them.

And BTB, the term I was taught to be correct: Fraternity, NOT "frat".
Point. Set. Match.
Old 09-15-2007, 04:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetteDavisEyes View Post
You win!
Actually, you win with that excellent signature line! I'm going to use that one!!!
Old 09-15-2007, 04:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatinaAlumna View Post

And just to turn it around a bit: If my girlfriend told me that it happened to her, after giving her some TLC and comfort, I would be on the telephone calling the "world" down on both living groups involved.
Old 09-15-2007, 07:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ZTAMich
Quote:
\Does hazing go on-YES!

I spent a decent amount of time at Cornell while I was in HS and my fresh. year of college as well. Witnessed some of these incidents myself. Crazy.
Old 09-15-2007, 07:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
And just to turn it around a bit: If my girlfriend told me that it happened to her, after giving her some TLC and comfort, I would be on the telephone calling the "world" down on both living groups involved.
Win.

I don't know why people think that sororities are for the 'popular' people all the time. Let's take a poll. Who here was in the popular/pretty group in high school?
Me: No. I was friends with many different people-fellow runners, amnesty international peeps, my friends from Junior High, Odyssey of the Mind, youth group from church...
But I joined a sorority and I'm okay looking so that nullifies everything. I was hazed if hazing means having more candy and gifts piled upon you than you know what to do with.

And Jesus speaketh, "do unto others as they did unto you because the bitches deserve it".

Old 09-15-2007, 07:07 PM
GreekChat Member

As I mentioned in another of her threads,

"I find all of you highly entertaining, and I get lots of great info, too. I never have much to add, but bluemay, you really are an ass. You've tried to pick fights all over GC. I don't even care anymore why you're here.

JUST GO AWAY!"
Old 09-16-2007, 02:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexMack View Post
OMG GIRLS IN DORMS ARE DRINKING! CALL THE PO-PO QUICKLY! SOME OF THEM MIGHT BE GREEK!

This thread has now become so retarded it's hilarious.
LOL here. I was bummed because my Bulldogs got creamed by the Ducks, but this inane thread got me laughing so hard that my cat, trying to sit on the laptop as I type, fled.
Woman in jeopardy movies, on Lifetime, that's what the ex boyfriend called them. And yes, the post is out of Dying to Belong.
What's next? Or does that depend on what movie on steamy college life is on.
Women drinking, and maybe Greeks in the crowd. shhhhh.
I remember when my sister's dorm housemother, it was a stuffy private college, called late at night to report my sister and some of her sisters had come in drunk singing "like drunken sailors" and were putting together a strawberry shortcake on the floor and eating it. I guess fat circles weren't of concern.
My mother, who had three kids in college at the time, let the housemother sound off, and then, in her very ladlylike way, said that of all the possible crimes we could be doing she wasn't going to get in a snit about shortcake and singing, although no one in the family can carry a tune. Yes, my mom said, she wasn't thrilled about my sister drinking, but knew she had walked to and from a party with her friends, not driven.
And her suggestion to the housemother: Go to bed. A good idea for the thread poster, and also, turn off the TV.

This beats reading chapters for my COMM class.