GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,082
0 members and 1,082 guests
No Members online
Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 11:19 AM
GreekChat Member

How to add more sororities to my school?

Hi.

I'm currently at a university with around 7 sororities. Each chapter has wonderful girls, but I'm wondering how we can expand our Greek Life by adding more sororities? I've mentioned it to the Panhel board but they have said we cannot add or expand right now. Normally, I would take their word. But the last PC for our chapters have been 80+ girls, which compared to many other schools is very high! I personally, would rather have a 40 PC where the girls have a closer bond and actually get to know each other.

Am I wrong? Is it still possible to be "closed" for expansion even with such high numbered Pledge Classes?

Can someone explain the process to me? I've talked to many other students who also agree we need to add more houses. We're missing KD, Pi Phi, GPhi, AOPi, AGD, Theta, DZ, and a lot of others!
Old 06-25-2017, 11:32 AM
GreekChat Member

There are many posts on here about the NPC process for expansion. THis is the basic information from the NPC Manual of Information (MOI and aka The Green Book):

EXTENSION PROCEDURES
When a number of female students are unable to affiliate with the existing chapters, the College Panhellenic may wish
to (a) raise chapter total or (b) add another NPC group. The College Panhellenic should consult with the NPC area
advisor and the NPC Extension Committee chairman regarding the options. Whether the College Panhellenic decides to
raise total or add another chapter may depend on the desire of the existing chapters to remain at a manageable size and
the requirements for chapter housing. An extension research/exploration committee should be formed to recommend
to the Panhellenic whether extension should or should not be considered. The Panhellenic Council should vote on a
motion to form an extension exploratory committee.

After that, the MOI puts out a lengthy procedure that all campuses and NPC groups should follow. The MOI should be available for your perusal in your Greek Life Office and on the NPC website.
Old 06-25-2017, 11:51 AM
GreekChat Member

What Titchou said. Also...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulubre View Post
...But the last PC for our chapters have been 80+ girls, which compared to many other schools is very high! I personally, would rather have a 40 PC where the girls have a closer bond and actually get to know each other.

Am I wrong? Is it still possible to be "closed" for expansion even with such high numbered Pledge Classes?

Can someone explain the process to me? I've talked to many other students who also agree we need to add more houses. We're missing KD, Pi Phi, GPhi, AOPi, AGD, Theta, DZ, and a lot of others!
The number of new members in each class is not, in itself, an indication of needed expansion. As Titchou quoted from the MOI, the need is based on capacity. At one school, pledge classes could be hovering around 30, creating a need for expansion, while at another school, pledge classes of 70 are perfectly fine and business can go on as usual.

And even if there was a need at your school, adding another sorority isn't going to bring pledge classes down from 80+ to 40.

Who are these other women who believe another sorority is needed? Are they sorority members? Do they know the ins and outs of expansion, what's required, and how long it takes?

@~/~~~~
Old 06-25-2017, 11:56 AM
GreekChat Member

You asked us before.

Remember? http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...d.php?t=228464
Old 06-25-2017, 12:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
Ugh.

@~/~~~~
Closed Thread