GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Alumni Involvement
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,124
4 members and 2,120 guests
aantonygooglet9, Kevin, Pinkmagnolia921

Old 12-31-2002, 03:21 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by carnation
As long as we're talking about PNAMS--every time I see an AI thread, I think "artificial insemination" because when I was an agriculture professor, that's all the animal science professors talked about-- their bulls and their AI success! I wonder if any other agriculturists are thinking the same thing?
LOL carnation!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-31-2002, 09:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
Quote:
Originally posted by carnation
As long as we're talking about PNAMS--every time I see an AI thread, I think "artificial insemination" because when I was an agriculture professor, that's all the animal science professors talked about-- their bulls and their AI success! I wonder if any other agriculturists are thinking the same thing?
Ahhhhh .... but as a computer scientist I always think Artificial Intellengce ... I guess each profession has its own shorthand...
Old 12-31-2002, 10:20 AM
cutiepatootie

i think that too

Quote:
Originally posted by AZ-AlphaXi

Ahhhhh .... but as a computer scientist I always think Artificial Intellengce ... I guess each profession has its own shorthand...
I think about the movie i saw last yr A.I lol
Laura
Old 12-31-2002, 11:25 AM

Quote:

Likewise

Good luck, Inca!
Old 01-04-2003, 05:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

I was thinking the same thing too!

Inca:
Best of luck with your quest for AI
Old 01-04-2003, 05:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sistermadly
Gooooo Inca! I can understand why some organizations back off of AI with people they don't know well, but like you, I always feel like they're losing out on some really great women that way. You have to be dedicated, determined, and have a strong sense of purpose to pursue alum initiation when you don't know anyone -- I know how challenging it can be!

I'm sure you'll find a home in 2003, and if there's anything I can do to help, feel free to PM me.

Good luck!
Old 01-04-2003, 07:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Inca
Update:

I am thinking that I would rather approach a group who embraces AI...I want to feel welcomed from the start, not like I am fighting my way in.
That would be my approach as well.

It's their loss............
Old 01-08-2003, 02:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sistermadly
Re: Update

Quote:
Originally posted by Inca
Should I make it clear to both that I am looking into two groups? Or just not say anything until I have to mmake a decision (if it comes to that).
I didn't let them know that I was looking into two different groups. I've heard that it isn't exactly a wise idea to do this when you're in pursuit of alumnae initiation. I'd say play your cards as close to your chest as possible.

Good luck, Inca!
Old 01-08-2003, 11:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Hi Inca!

From one PNAM to another, best of success to you!!

If there's one thing I always tell PNAMs, it's to accept now that you may have to wait long periods of time without hearing back from people. It's par for the course.

Also, don't forget that it's January and people may be taking a break from the holidays. January and February may be a bit busier for folks since the spring term will have just started and the alumnae may be helping chapters with spring recruitment etc.

I think you're wise to weigh your options at the start. If the organization does not seem responsive at all, move on. Unless you desperately want to be in the such-n-such sorority, I wouldn't try and fight against people who will make you feel bad.

I have to agree with Sistermadly regarding the multiple interest situation. It would be great if we could approach these things one at a time. However, as most of us PNAMs know, some orgs just won't respond to enquiries for months. Just when you give up and contact your next choice, the first responds! Now you've got to juggle two (or even three!) orgs at one time. CutiePie2000 advises that you try to be as discreet as possible so as to not seem like you're just going from one org to another until someone takes you. This is good advice. If asked by an alumnae, I would admit to having contacted another org so as to not be dishonest.

Ok....now, as much as I love CutiePie2000, who is absolutely brilliant , I have to disagree with some of her advice posted in another thread. CutiePie2000 advocates not contacting local alumnae groups on your own. Instead, one should allow the national headquarters to do it for you. Again, I have to speak from experience and having read other's similar experiences, that national HQs don't always respond in a reasonable fashion. If they do, they're either really helpful or really NOT. If they are not responding or not helpful, then a PNAMs only choice is to contact an alumnae group directly. Oddly enough, one of the national officers of one org told me to do just that! Though, CP2000 is right in advsiing that you make sure that you clearly explain that you are not a member and that you are interested in alumnae initiation.

Good luck to you!

.....Kelly
Old 01-08-2003, 11:32 AM

Exclamation The reason why one should not contact MULTIPLE local groups.....

Quote:
Originally posted by navane
Ok....now, as much as I love CutiePie2000, who is absolutely brilliant , I have to disagree with some of her advice posted in another thread. CutiePie2000 advocates not contacting local alumnae groups on your own. Instead, one should allow the national headquarters to do it for you.
Depending on where a woman lives and how active the City Alumnae Panhellenic is, I discourage women from contacting multiple local groups at a time. The reason for this is alumnae initiation is still a fairly uncommon occurence; women do not typically "seek out" being an alumna initiate, rather they are often mothers of collegiate members, and those mothers are extremely dedicated and involved in their daughter's chapter. The other case is that Alumnae women will think of friends that they would like to add to their alumnae circle, and nominate their names for membership accordingly.

Since a woman "seeking out" alumnae initiation is a fairly rare thing, I will tell you a story of one AI who had contacted multiple local alumnae chapters (she had contacted 3, but had only expressed an interest in 2, the 3rd was for information gathering). Anyhow, at the City Alumnae Panhellenic meeting, one of the women in one of the groups asked, "Is your sorority familiar with alumnae initiation? Jane Doe contacted us about it, and this is something that our alumnae chapter has not experienced before."
Well, as soon as she said that, women from Groups 2 and 3 also chimed in that Jane Doe had contacted them about Alumnae Initiation as well!

Don't think that this cannot happen to you (depending on the City and how active their alumnae panhellenic is), because it can happen and has happened. I know this is an extreme case, but it caused much embarrassment for Jane Doe and she was frozen out from those 3 groups (and since it came up at the Panhellenic meeting, now other groups was aware of her too).

I am pleased to say that Jane Doe did eventually find a happy home, but it might not have ended so happily.
For this very reason, I urge women to tread with caution and not contact multiple local groups on their own. After all, sorority women in different groups can and *do* talk to each other....how embarrassing would it be to have your name come up and be found out to be "shopping around"?

Last edited by CutiePie2000; 01-08-2003 at 04:22 PM.
Old 01-09-2003, 01:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Last edited by DGMarie; 02-17-2004 at 11:19 AM.
Old 01-11-2003, 09:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CutiePie2000

Well, as soon as she said that, women from
For this very reason, I urge women to tread with caution and not contact multiple local groups on their own. After all, sorority women in different groups can and *do* talk to each other....how embarrassing would it be to have your name come up and be found out to be "shopping around"?

My goodness, you sound mad at me.

I'm not really disagreeing with you in a big way. I agree that women should not approach 15 different alumnae groups in town at one time. What I AM saying is:

- I think it's ok if a PNAM approaches the local alumnae group if the National HQ does not respond after a reasonable time.

- It's ok to approach a 2nd national organization if the first does not respond after a reasonable time.

By "reasonable time" I'm talking 2-3 months.

Women who have absolutely no problem with their journey to alumna initiaion will be able to follow your suggestions 100%. Women who have lots of obstacles to overcome may have to adjust your guidelines in order to be appropriate to their situations. Surely that's ok, right? I mean, the alumnae panhellenic in Los Angeles will be different than the Alumnae Panhellenic in New Orleans. Yes, by all means, be aware; but also be aware that the guidelines aren't one size fits all.

Everyone should use their best judgement on how to approach things. CP2000 gives some excellent advice regarding alum initiation. Do your best with it as your situation allows and that's the most anyone can ask.

.....Kelly
Old 01-11-2003, 09:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Oh hey, speaking of "shopping around", how many is too many over the grand scheme of things?

Someone else mentioned (I think it might have been in another thread) that she was concerned that she would be looked down upon if she approached another couple groups if the first one didn't work out.

I wonder about this too. My first organization was a disaster. The organization I'm currently working with is one that I didn't really know about until I checked them out and then fell in love with their ideals. The org is great, I like them and they really seem to like me. As you all may recall, the regional coordinator pretty well gave me the informal invitation to be a member this last summer. The only thing is that we have to hold off on starting the official process until I get home from England.

I'm really happy with this group and I'm really looking forward to becoming a member. But what if something really bizarre happens? Like, if the regional coordinator, who was temporarily "sponsoring" me moves away before I return to the US? And the local alum group has a bunch of new members I hadn't met before and they don't like me or something? What if it all falls through with sorority #2?

Would I be considered a dork if I contacted a third group? I mean, there are 26 (?) NPC sororities. Of those, there are only 5 which really interest me as a potential alumna member. Hypothetically, if I were to exhaust all five avenues, I couldn't imagine myself trying for any others.

Anyway, I just want to make it clear that I'm very happy with the group I am currently working with. This is just a "what if" question designed to generate discussion.

.....Kelly
Old 02-02-2003, 10:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Inca, goodo for you!!!!

This like taking a vacation, takes forever to get there, but takes no time at all to get back home!

It sounds if things are stating to fit into place for you!

The Very Best Of Luck To You!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 02-02-2003, 12:53 PM
cutiepatootie

Junior league

I have a packet sitting on my coffee table to apply to become a member of the jr. league. I am contemplating joining but as a recent alum initate i debate if i should. I want to do both but being a Jr leaguer puts a lot of time constraints on you the first yr. Plus being in this paralegal program and mother it is hard to spread your self out.

I say good luck with the alum even next month. I bet it will lots of fun.

Laura