GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,540
1 members and 2,539 guests
No Members online

Old 10-15-2000, 11:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Question No more rumors

Perhaps I should direct this to their particular forum, but others may know the answer to this question also.

Why do Kappas carry canes? I've heard a couple different reasons. All are probably untrue.

I've also noticed SGRhos stepping with canes from time to time. Is this due to their Indiana relationship? Did KAPsi directly influence SGRho in their founding?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-15-2000, 01:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Question

I agree with 12dn94dst but can you tell me why the title of your post is "No more rumors"?
Old 10-15-2000, 03:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Okay this question comes up so often. Why do we carry canes? You say you've been doing research. Where? What have you read? Who have you been talking to? You say no more rumors. What rumors have you heard? In all like the Delta said, if you haven't found the truth then maybe it's information that members only know the true meaning of. Before other Greeks get on me for that, like others have. Think about this, before you go trivializing something that has become a symbol of my fraternity think about your symbols. Greeks think about this. What if the Researcher wanted to know the significance of the following things:

APA: Sphinx, Ape
AKA: Ivy, Frog, Bunny
Omega: Dog
DST: Pyramids, Elephants
PBS: Dove, canes
ZPB: Dove
SGR: Poodle, canes

Researcher, all of these things mean so much to these organization. Non-greeks can't really appreciate it. People look and say oh how stupid, why they always talking Elephants, or why they always talking about Poodles. I'm not harping on you cause you asked an honest questions. It's that we Greeks hear these questions all the time and when we hear them we're like "Oh God, not again". Our generation of interested people want to know too much too soon. If you read a book like the "Divine Nine" or "In Search of Sisterhood" you'll get more information than other generations ever wanted or could know. We as Greeks want you to research but knowing the meaning of a symbol, hand sign, or call is not gonna do you any good. If you were interested in my organization I would want to know things like do you know my founders, are you aware of the conditions that surrounded them when founding a BGLO on a White campus, what's the Guide Program all about, and ARE YOU AN ACHIEVER. All things are revealed in time. And even if you did know the meaning of things of this nature, you couldn't appreciate it. It doesn't mean anything to you. I hope this will encourage you to focus your attention more on other aspects of research. I wish you good luck in your quest for whatever organization you're interested in. And if you're not an interest but just trying to gain knowledge, I hope you have a better understanding of the Greek system.

Peace

------------------
KAPPA ALPHA PSI FRATERNITY, INC.
SPR 97
XI LAMBDA

[This message has been edited by NUPE4LIFE (edited October 15, 2000).]
Old 10-16-2000, 12:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Since your screenname is "The Researcher," I'm going to wager that you've looked high and low for the answers to your questions before you post them here. Having said that, if you HAVE to ask a member something about his/her organization and you've done more than adequate RESEARCH, 99% of the time, the answer you seek is proprietary to members of that organization.
Old 10-16-2000, 01:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy

I didn't know PBS had canes. Whoa, thanks.

You mentioned all but IPhiTheta or KAPsi-canes, playboy bunny, diamond.

All knowledge does some good.
Old 10-16-2000, 02:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Hey brother frater Nupe4Life, you forgot
ZPB: Cats (kittens) as well as the Dove

That's o.k. though, it's still all good!

Best,
Shela

[/B]
Old 10-16-2000, 05:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NUPE4LIFE:
Okay this question comes up so often. Why do we carry canes? You say you've been doing research. Where? What have you read? Who have you been talking to? You say no more rumors. What rumors have you heard? In all like the Delta said, if you haven't found the truth then maybe it's information that members only know the true meaning of. Before other Greeks get on me for that, like others have. Think about this, before you go trivializing something that has become a symbol of my fraternity think about your symbols. Greeks think about this. What if the Researcher wanted to know the significance of the following things:

APA: Sphinx, Ape
AKA: Ivy, Frog, Bunny
Omega: Dog
DST: Pyramids, Elephants
PBS: Dove, canes
SGR: Poodle, canes

Researcher, all of these things mean so much to these organization. Non-greeks can't really appreciate it. People look and say oh how stupid, why they always talking Elephants, or why they always talking about Poodles. I'm not harping on you cause you asked an honest questions. It's that we Greeks hear these questions all the time and when we hear them we're like "Oh God, not again". Our generation of interested people want to know too much too soon. If you read a book like the "Divine Nine" or "In Search of Sisterhood" you'll get more information than other generations ever wanted or could know. We as Greeks want you to research but knowing the meaning of a symbol, hand sign, or call is not gonna do you any good. If you were interested in my organization I would want to know things like do you know my founders, are you aware of the conditions that surrounded them when founding a BGLO on a White campus, what's the Guide Program all about, and ARE YOU AN ACHIEVER. All things are revealed in time. And even if you did know the meaning of things of this nature, you couldn't appreciate it. It doesn't mean anything to you. I hope this will encourage you to focus your attention more on other aspects of research. I wish you good luck in your quest for whatever organization you're interested in. And if you're not an interest but just trying to gain knowledge, I hope you have a better understanding of the Greek system.

Peace
Good Answer!
Old 10-17-2000, 04:48 PM
Jak Phrost

Thumbs up

Nupe 4 Life-You've done it again.
Old 10-17-2000, 08:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Check it out. As I've said in other posts, anything that is esoteric, just say that. I have no problems with that.

The thing is I found a nupe website that gave a history of the cane and I have heard about the origins from members. The two stories weren't the same, but they didn't necessarily conflict either. I was just wondering if it was correct.

I have also have been told a history of the DOG for Q. The only reason I didn't ask about that is because it was from a reliable source and I've never heard any contradicting histories about that.

Esoteric. I know for a fact there are members of various orgs that don't know the history, significance or the meaning of signs, symbols and calls. I also know and understand that there is esoteric info. BUT, just because you don't know, and you should if your a member, doesn't mean it's esoteric. Maybe you need to do some research also.

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"
Old 10-17-2000, 09:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Researcher, how is this information of any importance to you? I've seen that you also posted a topic about the origins of calls and hand signs. I'm just trying to get a handle on things. I have a few things running around in my mind right now, but I don't wanna voice them prematurely. Help me and other Greeks understand. And as far as your last statement, "maybe you need to do some research also", clarify that please. Are you saying Greeks need to do research in general? As far as I am concerned, wether the information be esoteric or not, I don't divulge or share that information with non-members. Why? You couldn't share the same appreciation I do for my organization and it's symbols. Until you've been there, and crossed those burning "Blazing" sands into Kappa Land you can only have the smallest appreciation for what Kappa Alpha Psi/Phi Nu Pi really means. And I respect other organizations enough not to ask them the symbolism behind their hand signs, calls, and represenative objects. I suspect you're just curious about BGLO's. May I suggest something I stated earlier. Focus your research on other things like the founders, reason for founding, philanthropic efforts or programs of the organization, and what impact it has had on the international community. I say international because all BGLO's have since chartered chapters in foreign countries or have set up international philathropic endeavors. I say this because the symbolic things add to the pot, but if you take them away you'd still have a heck of a gumbo. We where all founded to uplift the African-American community, that's the true test of our existence. Not those other peripheral things. I hope I've explained myself well. Think about it, and let it marinate in your mind!

------------------
SPR 97
XI LAMBDA

[This message has been edited by NUPE4LIFE (edited October 17, 2000).]
Old 10-17-2000, 11:16 PM
Badilly

Isn't Phi Nu Pi a white organization? Why does a historically black org. have that on their shield? I don't get it.
Old 10-18-2000, 01:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Badilly:
Isn't Phi Nu Pi a white organization? Why does a historically black org. have that on their shield? I don't get it.
Sorry Badilly,
Unless you join Kappa Alpha Psi, Inc. you will NEVER know. It is something ONLY Kappas know.

X girl

Old 10-18-2000, 08:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by theXgirl:
Sorry Badilly,
Unless you join Kappa Alpha Psi, Inc. you will NEVER know. It is something ONLY Kappas know.

X girl

Well said X girl.

------------------
SPR 97
XI LAMBDA
Old 10-18-2000, 03:15 PM
GreekChat Member

When I say you need to do research, I don't mean you specifically. Like I said, there are many members of all the orgs who don't know the significance of the kane or other respective peripheral symbols. If you don't know, say so and find out, but don't try to hide behind the wall of "You wouldn't undrstand because you aren't a member."

Speaking of respect, I had the respect enough to stop posting whenever someone writes that the info is esoteric, without speaking from a pedestal. I also had the respect to not post the website where I found a history of the kane or any other symbol I have found.

"Love your neighbour as you love yourself"
Old 10-18-2000, 04:29 PM
GreekChat Member

A person who's a member of XYZ organization should know the history behind some of the peripheral symbols pertaining to their organization. But we must all keep in mind that in certain areas of the country, they have may use different symbols i.e. AKA's use of the Bunny, Frog, and Mouse. Also, just because you see someone reppin a particular symbol doesn't mean the national office recognize that as a symbol for the organization. All in all one should now something before they represent with it. However, no matter if someone knows the meaning or not, that's their perogative to say you wouldn't understand. Let me simply say this, wether I know or not I wouldn't want to discuss Kappa business with a non-member. And may other Greeks feel the same way. Now that you know that many of the things are esoteric, you've got the answer you were looking for. I just hope you were not looking for any kudos from the Greek community because you didn't post the URL for websites that you found that deal with the meaning of peripheral symbols. Why would you anyway? This is the last time I'm gonna post on this subject.

------------------
SPR 97
XI LAMBDA