GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 2,259
2 members and 2,257 guests
flirt5721, JayhawkAOII

Old 04-07-2005, 01:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ladygreek
To my SGRho Greek Sisters. The 2 orgs on my campus initially were AKA and SGRho. My roommate pledge AKA. My many friends were SGRhos. If I had not already been committed in my heart to DST, you would have been my choice to pursue. That is why you will always have my utmost respect.

Now I am going to take you back. In the movie Wiz, in the opening scene there was a young lady who came in with her baby. She is a SGRho and was one of my friends in college.
See, now I got to go dig up a copy of the Wiz! *blowing the dust off the VCR*
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-07-2005, 02:29 AM

Thank you for sharing ladies.

Lakers Nation.
Old 04-07-2005, 03:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to laidbackfella Send a message via AIM to laidbackfella Send a message via Yahoo to laidbackfella
I knew little about Greek Life before I went to school.

After getting to college I was able to form friendships that allowed me to interact in social settings with a variety of Greeks.

Being a part of Student Government also allowed me to see the greeks on my campus in business settings.

I joined because as a student leader I had the chance to see how each Frat interacted with members of their organizations AWAY from my school.

Pound for pound no one came close to being on the level of the Bruhs, in all aspects.

When I had a chance I made my move.
Old 04-07-2005, 07:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: NPHC BGLOers: Why Did you Join?

Quote:
Originally posted by DSTCHAOS
I'm sure there is a thread about this somewhere but I couldn't find it.

Someone please answer the question and include as much detail as you possibly can.

*edited for niceness*
I don't have any moving stories and there was not one person / event that convinced me. When I got to my undergrad campus, Texas A&M, I saw girls who were pledging (that was the term then) and it just seemed like a fun thing to do. Being greek has been an enjoyable experience for me.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:33 PM
Banned

Did any of you know which BGLO you wanted to join before you knew what college you were even going to?

If so how much did the national stereotypes or outside pressure play up to the reasons why you joined that fraternity or sorority?

Of course that's probably a question a lot of people might not feel comfortable answering, but I look forward to hearing from those that do want to share.

-Rudey
Old 04-07-2005, 12:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: NPHC BGLOers: Why Did you Join?

Quote:
Originally posted by sigmadiva
I saw girls who were pledging (that was the term then) and it just seemed like a fun thing to do. Being greek has been an enjoyable experience for me.

LOL!!!!

Old 04-07-2005, 12:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rudey
Did any of you know which BGLO you wanted to join before you knew what college you were even going to?

If so how much did the national stereotypes or outside pressure play up to the reasons why you joined that fraternity or sorority?
To those of you who don't have me on ignore:

#1: Yes

#2: I didn't know the stereotypes and there was no outside pressure.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:41 PM
GreekChat Member

i was friends with bruhs before they were bruhs.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BlueReign
No, it's not too personal. Like I said in the other thread about researching on your own and not asking questions over the internet!!

I had never met a member of Sigma Gamma Rho during the time that I was an undergraduate student. However, I did know many AKAs and Deltas. I did not know much about Sigma Gamma Rho until after I graduated. I RESEARCHED on my own!! It was only because I had the "audacity", "guts", "intelligence" or a combination or so that I went to several events (via research and contact) and got to know the members.

It wasn't a hard thing to do and then again it was hard. When I was an undergrad I was in another state my first two years of college and there were no NPHC organizations there at the time. When I transferred back home to DC that is when I met NPHC members. Still though that was mid 80's. When I did become thoroughly acquainted with the sororities it was time to graduate. I got a job. I got married. I had babies. I still had an interest in black sororities because I continuously read and saw what contributions they were making to the community around me. I did not become a member of Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority until I was 36 years old and that was through a graduate chapter.

I say it was hard because I didn't have the benefit of being a student and having classes and activities with members. I had to come to service and social events and assert myself around a group of women that I did not know and who did not know me. I must have made a good impression -- WITHOUT ASKING QUESTIONS OF MEMBERS THROUGH THE INTERNET!!

Exactly.

So, your story is unique to those told in this thread but not unique, in general. It is a wonderful story, indeed.

For those of you who don't understand: Here is another COMMON theme to generalize from. ALL of the stories told in this thread correlate to the explanations in that OTHER thread.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by starang21
i was friends with bruhs before they were bruhs.
Me, too.
Old 04-07-2005, 01:14 PM
GreekChat Member

To my Delta sister greek, this is such a nice thread that u have started and although i myself dont post as much as i would like to, i had to post to this.

I am a neo(SPR 05) and i recently became a member of Sigma Gamma Rho and my chapter is the first and only NPHC on the yard. In my family there is no greeks and no one knows anything about greeks but the sterotypes. At my school there was no NPHC only the NPC organizations. As students and women of color we felt as though we needed an organization that would exemplify our roots and cultrue. Therefore, for the past three years there was numerous interest sessions amongst ourselves and research because we def. wanted an NPHC organization but we wanted one for the right reasons. And i will say that the first Sigma woman that i met was Northeast Regional Syntaktes Felicia Blakeney and this woman was WONDERFUL! She showed Sigma in such a classy, dignified way that i was so intrigued. After almost a year after an interest meeting she had at our school she still kept in touch with us and stayed with us till the very last decison was made. And i would like to say that thank you yo my SoRHOr Madame Syntaktes Blakeney for showing us the RHOyal Blue and Gold light. Since then, I have been nothing but proud to say that i am a member of Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority!

Being a member of an NPHC has not only allowed me to meet some great Sigma women, it has allowed me to meet wonderful people in general.
Old 04-07-2005, 01:17 PM
GreekChat Member

i secretly wanted to get in good with fine black chicks

Old 04-07-2005, 02:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jubilance1922 Send a message via Yahoo to jubilance1922
Quote:
Originally posted by starang21
i secretly wanted to get in good with fine black chicks

LOL...silly
Old 04-07-2005, 02:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to squirrely girl
i think it's really interesting how much involvement/interest from the beginning there is for NPHC orgs.

it's definetely a different process... thanks a ton for sharing!

- marissa
A GD
Old 04-07-2005, 03:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DSTCHAOS

Exactly.

So, your story is unique to those told in this thread but not unique, in general. It is a wonderful story, indeed.

For those of you who don't understand: Here is another COMMON theme to generalize from. ALL of the stories told in this thread correlate to the explanations in that OTHER thread.
Thank you.

And yes, there is a correlation to the other thread. I hope their "questions" have been answered.

I don't want nobody to give me nothin. Open up a door, I'll get it myself!! (The late, great James Brown)