GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,520
1 members and 2,519 guests
PrettyBoy

Old 10-08-2008, 08:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaffyKD View Post
If I am not training poll workers for the up coming election on the 29th, I will be there! Really excited for someone (you can guess for whom I am rooting) .

DaffyKD
LOL! I made sure I rescheduled some meetings so I can be there. I wouldn't miss it for the world.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:22 AM

Delta Chi and Sigma Tau Gamma both seeking recognition at University of Wisconsin-Whitewater.

http://media.www.royalpurplenews.com...-3475124.shtml

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 10-09-2008, 09:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post
Texas A&M-Kingsville has 2 NPCs, Delta Phi Epsilon and Theta Phi Alpha; 1 NPHC, Alpha Kappa Alpha; 1 MCGLO, Kappa Delta Chi;and 1 local, Psi Theta Upsilon.

According to irishpipes' recruitment thread, TAMUK previously had Chi Omega (1964-1985), Alpha Delta Pi (1965-1986), Alpha Chi Omega (1965-1978), and Zeta Tau Alpha (1965-1988).
Did this campus have a name change?
Old 10-09-2008, 09:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
Quote:
Originally Posted by NutBrnHair View Post
Did this campus have a name change?
It began as South Texas State Teachers College then Texas College of Arts and Industries then Texas A & I University and now Texas A & M - Kingsville.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:21 AM
GreekChat Member

slight hijack -

How does a campus determine if it is open for NPC expansion? Does the Greek life office begin the process? The Pan council? Can a group ask to be considered?

I am specifically wondering about the University of Arkansas which took around 80 - 82 girls per pledge class this fall and has not taken a pledge class lower than 75 in the past four years, and wondering why they are not opening up for expansion again after the successful colonization of AOPi.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gee_ess View Post
slight hijack -

How does a campus determine if it is open for NPC expansion? Does the Greek life office begin the process? The Pan council? Can a group ask to be considered?

I am specifically wondering about the University of Arkansas which took around 80 - 82 girls per pledge class this fall and has not taken a pledge class lower than 75 in the past four years, and wondering why they are not opening up for expansion again after the successful colonization of AOPi.
We actually had a conversation about this when AOPi colonized. One of the Greek Life admins was quoted as saying that they would like to see 1 or 2 more NPCs colonize on campus. First, they need to make sure that AOPi is succeeding (which they are in spades). Then they need to see if it huge numbers of pnms for the sororities is a continuing pattern (which it sounds like, but let's make sure).

Also, it may be a case of Arkansas girls being willing to give the new chapters a chance. A few groups have been on campus and closed. Are those groups willing to come back and try again? One particular sorority has been on campus twice and closed. This is a traditionally southern group, but still had to close. Several things to consider.

irishpipes and carnation would probably have a better idea about the campus culture than I do.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 10-09-2008, 09:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
slight hijack -

Under no circumstances can an NPC group just "ask" to be considered. That is a violation NPC extension policy of more than 50 years.

A campus determines if it should "open" based on its needs. Are the current chapters getting too large for their comfort? Is there a large number of qualified PNMs who are not completing the recruitment process? Is there a local sorority or interest group seeking NPC affiliation? On a Locals-only campus, is the university mandating that the sororities become "national" or close?

After adding a new NPC chapter, a Panhellenic may wait a few years to see how the addition affects the system and to let that chapter become more established. Another item to consider is "where" to put a new chapter. If all of the chapters are housed, whether it is a residence hall suite or a multi-million dollar stand alone structure, the new chapter will need comparable arrangements. Can the university provide the space?
Old 10-09-2008, 09:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to deadbear80
Quote:
slight hijack -

Check irishpipes' thread. Unless they took about 20 more during COB/COR, there is a chapter at Arkansas who got only 50 girls during formal recruitment. That's 30 less than the others. I don't think they'll be opening for expansion in the near future if they have 1 chapter that is so far behind the others.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:56 AM

There were schools who expanded too quickly in the 80s when Greek life had a renaissance and a lot of those schools ended up having to close chapters. Once bitten, twice shy. Especially at someplace like Arkansas. Even though interest in the South is probably more "consistent" through the years than most places, the costs have gone up a lot.
Old 10-09-2008, 11:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
there is a chapter at Arkansas who got only 50 girls during formal recruitment.
I know that it's relative size that matters on that kind of campus, but jeez! It's still amazing that such a giant pledge class isn't enough to keep a chapter thriving.
________
SexyArmyBoy1

Last edited by Low C Sharp; 09-20-2011 at 05:02 PM.
Old 10-09-2008, 12:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aopirose View Post
Under no circumstances can an NPC group just "ask" to be considered. That is a violation NPC extension policy of more than 50 years.
However, a NPC group can send a letter of interest, letting the campus know that should they decide to expand they would be interested in being considered. When a campus opens to extension, ALL 26 members will be notified, and then those who are interested can submit packets to be considered. The campus then decides who will present, and from that group the eventual new group will be selected.

eta - I think I've got that right . . . can't find my Green Book.
Old 10-09-2008, 12:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to banditone
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbear80 View Post
Check irishpipes' thread. Unless they took about 20 more during COB/COR, there is a chapter at Arkansas who got only 50 girls during formal recruitment. That's 30 less than the others. I don't think they'll be opening for expansion in the near future if they have 1 chapter that is so far behind the others.
A (est.) 200 girl chapter is way behind. wow.
Old 10-09-2008, 12:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
However, a NPC group can send a letter of interest, letting the campus know that should they decide to expand they would be interested in being considered.
Yes, a letter of interest can be sent but that is much different from a group saying, "Hey, we like your school and we have an opening in our colonization schedule for Fall 2010. Does that work for you?"

Quote:
When a campus opens to extension, ALL 26 members will be notified, and then those who are interested can submit packets to be considered. The campus then decides who will present, and from that group the eventual new group will be selected.
All groups will be notified that the campus is open but sometimes the campus wants a targeted extension. The campus will focus on only certain groups that they feel most strongly meet their needs.
Old 10-09-2008, 12:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbear80 View Post

Yes, I am familiar with that chapter and they have been struggling for years. However, that did not seem to be a concern when the campus opened for AOPi. (but, I was not a member of GC during AOPi's colonization process, so there may be info I don't know)

I do think that the chapters on campus are struggling to accomodate these large pledge classes, and that Arkansas would benefit from another NPC chapter. But, whoever chooses to colonize at Ark could sure take a lesson from the way AOPi handled things, and that means spending MONEY. Money for housing, in particular.
Old 10-09-2008, 05:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
. . . I do think that the chapters on campus are struggling to accomodate these large pledge classes, and that Arkansas would benefit from another NPC chapter. But, whoever chooses to colonize at Ark could sure take a lesson from the way AOPi handled things, and that means spending MONEY. Money for housing, in particular.
Good point. With the U.S. (and world) economic conditions in their current state, in most places it is probably going to be tough to get the necessary loans and general financial structuring needed for a multimillion - dollar house. There may also be legitimate fears that the pool of potential members could drop substantially for a few years if more and more families get hit severely (job loss, cuts in income, etc.) and high school grads and their parents decide that Greek life -- dues, extras from shirts to trips -- is (or appears to be ) too expensive.