GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,220
3 members and 1,217 guests
g41965

Old 12-16-2008, 10:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterFay13 View Post
I go to Susquehanna University and all our frats and sororities have houses. But there is a Brothel Law in the town. I thought this was kind of funny 4 of my friends signed a lease to move off campus next year and one had to sign as a maid cause apparently in the town if 4 or more girls live in the same house/apartment its considered a brothel, made me laugh lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
I wish you would read this whole thread.
Forget reading the whole thread... you just have to read the title!

@~/~~~~
Old 06-02-2009, 04:15 AM
GreekChat Member

If a sorority isn't recognized by the school, there's really nothing stopping them from getting a house, is there? I mean, even if the law was real. You could just have a few girls registered as living there but actually have more...
Old 08-02-2009, 05:56 PM
Croakies n Bows

I remember when i visited Rhodes in Memphis my junior year in high school someone in the group asked why the sorority houses where so small and the guide told us that it was because of a brothel law in tennessee. Could this be true? i mean not that there is one, but maybe the school thought there was one and banned girls living in the houses. Basically the houses are only big enough for chapter and maybe dinners there but thats about it.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:45 PM
GreekChat Member

I just might e-stab you.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croakies n Bows View Post
Could this be true?
No.
Quote:
i mean not that there is one, but maybe the school thought there was one and banned girls living in the houses.
No. The administration at Rhodes is not that stoopid.
Quote:
Basically the houses are only big enough for chapter and maybe dinners there but thats about it.
Many campuses have lodges of that kind rather than houses. That's just how they prefer to do it.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croakies n Bows View Post
I remember when i visited Rhodes in Memphis my junior year in high school someone in the group asked why the sorority houses where so small and the guide told us that it was because of a brothel law in tennessee. Could this be true? i mean not that there is one, but maybe the school thought there was one and banned girls living in the houses. Basically the houses are only big enough for chapter and maybe dinners there but thats about it.
Living in PA, I hear a whole lot of people mention the "brothel law", especially because a school as large as Penn State doesn't have sorority houses. But just as equally, I hear people mention Tennessee. I tend to think they believe this applies because of those "Stupid Laws" websites, like this one http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...ee.html?cat=17 and this one http://www.dumblaws.com/laws/united-states/tennessee etc.

But that's exactly what these things are... stupid laws. Every state has them, but I guarantee that if you looked through current laws, statutes and the like, you won't find any mention of a certain number of women living in a house constituting a brothel.

And even if this was a law, there would be a ridiculous number of people trying to get it changed, if for no other reason than it's extremely sexist. There's no way in hell it would hold up today.

@~/~~~~
Old 08-10-2009, 01:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshsx1 View Post
I just might e-stab you.
How did I miss this before? LOL!
Old 11-24-2009, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasstuart View Post
Hello Friends.
I read your entire post well I have heard of this so much. I also remember being told in undergrad that we couldn't put letters on our house because it was against some town code or something.
The letter thing might be true. There are definitely, however, codes against being such a dumbass that when you put spam in the signature you forget to link it.
Old 11-25-2009, 03:55 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
The letter thing might be true. There are definitely, however, codes against being such a dumbass that when you put spam in the signature you forget to link it.
Old 12-19-2009, 05:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Skype™ to MimiLovesDZ
Thumbs down

A lot of girls still thinks this exists but it doesnt, at wayne state university the sororities cant have houses because if one has a house they all have to and everyoe doesnt want one or isnt willing to pay the money for one.
Old 12-19-2009, 11:07 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post

Some places don't allow an X number of unrelated people living together in the same house.
The suburb I live in doesn't allow more than four unrelated people to reside in one house - but that's not for brothel restrictions, it's to keep group homes for the handicapped to a minimum. I guess they don't care about prostitutes yet.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
The suburb I live in doesn't allow more than four unrelated people to reside in one house - but that's not for brothel restrictions, it's to keep group homes for the handicapped to a minimum. I guess they don't care about prostitutes yet.
You live in a classy neighborhood. LOL.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:22 AM

The Kidd Kraddick in the Morning Show, a nationally syndicated radio show based here in Dallas addressed this issue this morning. One of their personalities, Jenna, is a Delta Gamma from Miami University. She claimed that there were no sorority houses at Miami due to "11 women living in the same house is a brothel". I called in to dispute it, but this show is notorious for not taking calls from male listeners. I was told they would pass on the information. Yeah, I'm sure.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 02-13-2010, 05:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSigkid View Post
That was always the story we heard when we asked why Boston U. didn't have any sorority houses. Then we learned it was because of a horribly uptight administration (the same reason there were no fraternity houses on campus).
That's true. Some universities just don't want any Greek life which would apply to all fraternities and sororities. It seems unlikely that you will find a school with only fraternities and no sororities.
Old 02-13-2010, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumGene View Post
That's true. Some universities just don't want any Greek life which would apply to all fraternities and sororities. It seems unlikely that you will find a school with only fraternities and no sororities.
Having houses has nothing to do with having chapters of sororities or fraternities at a school.