GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,544
1 members and 2,543 guests
John
Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2001, 03:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to TaraHopeful
Post i heard some nasty hazing traditions...is this one true?

I've heard that one sorority blindfolded the girls and had them give head to any guys who wanted it and as many that wanted it. I heard this from a teacher of mine that was i this sorority. Was she BS'ing me? it was the band affiliated sorority.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-09-2001, 03:29 PM

Angry

I understand your desire to join a sorority when you attend university. However, you have to realize that this question is inappropriate to say the least. We are not here to perpetuate any negative stereotypes to kids in high school. If you're asking about the validity of this myth, I would instead ask yourself why your teacher feels this is a relevant topic of discussion for class. I'm really shocked that someone in her position, and espiecially someone who's greek would say this.

I would go to the principal if I were in your shoes.

Old 03-09-2001, 03:41 PM
GreekChat Member

She was actually a teacher who left my school when she got married two years ago. She was my band assitant teacher. I think that the act she was talking about is revolting and was wondering if this is how any of the sororties haze? I was apalled just as you are.
Old 03-09-2001, 03:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to amycat412
Hazing is not permitted in any NPC organization. I have not, nor have I known anyone who personally experienced Hazing in any NPC organization.

A "Band Sorority" is not an NPC organization so I cannot speak for their rules and rituals. You can rest assured that the kind of behavior your teacher described would not be permitted in any NPC chapter.
Old 03-09-2001, 03:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Angry

TaraHopeful,

First of all, I don't know of any band-affiliated sorority. If it was an organization dealing with the band, it would probably consist of a co-ed group of girls and guys, which would make it a fraternity, not a sorority. That fact alone makes it sound like the teacher was lying to you.

Why she would make up such a horrible, ridiculous story I can't imagine. But I can tell you right now that I don't know of a single Greek organization who would EVER make their sisters do anything like what you described. It absolutely infuriates me that someone would be spreading this filthy story around- especially to a high school student!
Old 03-09-2001, 04:45 PM
Unregistered-

Thumbs down

First of all, I don't agree with any forms of hazing. In joining my GLO I was never hazed and I am proud of that.

Second, what kind of teacher would even disclose such information? Your teacher is the only one who knows the real truth about her FRATERNITY...and being in her position should've made her be more discreet about her past.

It's unfortunate that hazing happens, and I must admit that there are some bad apples out there that give the entire Greek system a negative rep.

When you do get to college, you'll be able to see for yourself how the Rush process is like. If and when you do receive a bid then you'll find out that pledging is a wonderful experience that you'll never ever forget. Rest assured that none of the NPC sororities/womens fraternities haze!!! Many people will think otherwise. However, we that belong to NPC GLOs know that actions like you mentioned are NOT allowed.

------------------
*I'm an Alpha Gam...Yes I am, Yes I am!*
Old 03-09-2001, 04:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to HeidiHo
I just want to know how a group of girls could make someone give oral sex to a man with out it being sexual assult? Unless there was physical force, a person always can say "no" and leave. Personally, I have never heard such and thing & was never exposed to any hazing. I love and respect my sisters & the feeling is mutial.
Best of luck with school & rush
Heidi
Old 03-09-2001, 05:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to HeidiHo
ps, there is a band sorority. Tau Beta Sigma
www.kkytbs.org

Old 03-09-2001, 05:10 PM

Yet another attempted setup?
Old 03-09-2001, 05:16 PM
GreekChat Member

another setup? what do you mean by that? is it directed towards me?

for the rest of you...thank you so much for your very comforting insight. I am very happy that this kind of negative activity is not normal in most all sororities and all NPC sororities. sincerely ~TaraHopeful
Old 03-09-2001, 06:52 PM

Tara,

There has been a rash of posters on this board who do drive-bys - start a thread like "I got spanked and I loved it!" and then don't come back. We have had some real goobers on here and are a little wary, so don't take it personally.

As for your teacher: she sounds like a whack job. I wouldn't believe a word she says.
Old 03-10-2001, 02:59 AM
GreekChat Member

I think that it is silly to try to say that absolutely NO hazing in ANY NPC sororities. That is like saying that everyone in a particular fraternity or sorority is bad-same mentality. You can't just say that every one of us doesn't haze.

There are problems from time to time, but it is something that you shouldn't put up with. Good pledgetrainers never allow it to occur, but it does from time to time. Even a good pledgetrainer doesn't control all of the members in her sorority. It is up to every member of every sorority to put an end to hazing in any form. We know what the rules are, we just need to enforce them. If you join a sorority don't put up with any kind of hazing. Most sororities have it under control-so expect it to be that way and don't put up with anything less out of any sorority you decide to join.
Old 03-10-2001, 01:06 PM

Tara,

My comment on a "setup" might or might not have been directed toward you. It depends on whether you are being completely upfront with us. If you are, then disregard the comment with my appologies. We've had enough "goobers" (isn't that a great word -- thanks 33) who ask questions such as yours simply to try to get incriminating comments from us.

Two things.

If any of the charges about the organization in question are true, that chapter should be closed. Period. There's no way anyone should put up with that garbage.

Second, I agree with some of the other posts. Sounds to me like your ex teacher has gone over the edge.

By the way, my understanding of Tau Beta Sigma and it's brother fraternity Kappa Kappa Psi is that they are honorary service organizations which help in schools of music and marching band programs, etc. They are not social GLO's per se.

DeltAlum

PS I just looked at www.kkytbs.org and it pretty much confirms what I said above about their mission.

[This message has been edited by DeltAlum (edited March 10, 2001).]
Old 03-10-2001, 01:17 PM
GreekChat Member

I seriously was just asking a question. I promise you all that I am in no way a "goober" trying to get a rraction from anyone. I just wanted to know if this act was true b/c if anything like this went on in sororities, i wasn't going to rush, but thanks to everyone's help on here, I most likely will. I'm sorry if I offended anyone by my question i was just curious about if my teacher was describing a true sorority setting. thanks again ~TaraHopeful
Old 03-12-2001, 04:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down

Tara....."It is better to keep ones silence and be assumed a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt." Did you honestly believe that ANY national organization could have this happen and NOT be reprimanded?!? The very idea............
Closed Thread