GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,181
0 members and 1,181 guests
No Members online

Old 08-31-2012, 09:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Monmouth College has pref tonight and bid day tomorrow. I hope they get pref in before it starts raining.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:29 AM
GreekChat Member

My daughter is rushing at Illinois right now, and last night she said that Panhel has 'delayed' today's Open House round until tomorrow due to the forecast of heavy rains. Then Sunday's originally scheduled round will be moved to Monday (which is fine, since there are no scheduled classes because of Labor Day). She LOVED the first set of Open Houses she visited! yeah!
Old 09-01-2012, 10:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
Thanks for the update! Good luck to your daughter!
Old 09-01-2012, 11:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Counting down to the new season of Doctor Who with my boys. I am a huge fan, but I refuse to have fish sticks and custard for supper as my youngest requested.

ΒΣΦ
Louisiana Preceptor Pi -Exemplar
Old 09-01-2012, 11:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie_Amazon View Post
Counting down to the new season of Doctor Who with my boys. I am a huge fan, but I refuse to have fish sticks and custard for supper as my youngest requested.
Very interesting, but I don't think relevant to U of I recruitment.

(I've posted in the wrong thread before )
Old 09-03-2012, 09:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovespink88 View Post
Very interesting, but I don't think relevant to U of I recruitment.

(I've posted in the wrong thread before )
Apparently I switched tabs. Sorry about that.

ΒΣΦ
Louisiana Preceptor Pi -Exemplar
Old 09-03-2012, 12:22 PM
GreekChat Member

My daughter is pledging a sorority at U of I at Urbana. This is all completely new to me, but as it is of huge importance to her, it is now of great importance to me.

On Friday they visited 9 houses, and Saturday was cancelled due to weather. So the second round of visits to 9 houses was yesterday (Sunday), and today they go to supposedly as many as 13 houses if they receive invites.

As far as the number of recruits at U of I for 2012, there are 18 groups, and assuming all groups are the size as my daughter's group (60), that is 1,080 recruits. The ID numbers range from 1 to 1,098. As those numbers are pretty close, I assume that the 1,098 is accurate.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlalum View Post
Has anyone heard how many PNMs there are this year? My daughter's best friend and another good friend will be going through, so I'll be watching the threads
I believe 1,098...see my post above.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinoisdg View Post
My daughter is pledging a sorority at U of I at Urbana. This is all completely new to me, but as it is of huge importance to her, it is now of great importance to me.

On Friday they visited 9 houses, and Saturday was cancelled due to weather. So the second round of visits to 9 houses was yesterday (Sunday), and today they go to supposedly as many as 13 houses if they receive invites.

As far as the number of recruits at U of I for 2012, there are 18 groups, and assuming all groups are the size as my daughter's group (60), that is 1,080 recruits. The ID numbers range from 1 to 1,098. As those numbers are pretty close, I assume that the 1,098 is accurate.
I saw your username and assumed you were an Illinois Delta Gamma

Good luck to your daughter! For the record, your daughter is a PNM (potential new member), not pledging. "Pledging" or the "new member period" as what it is called these days is what happens when a PNM is given a bid to a sorority.

Quote:
I believe 1,098...see my post above.
Thanks, if that's based on the ID numbers (I forgot that they basically give you a spreadsheet with your group number), then that is probably spot on!

And if that's the case numbers are WAY down!! Wow! According to the average in the link I posted, we've had roughly 1200 every year for the last 5 years! Interesting.

ETA: Oopsies, my link was in the other thread...this is what I meant: http://www.odos.uiuc.edu/greek/membe...lenicStats.asp
Old 09-03-2012, 12:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Yeah, the dg does refer to Delta Gamma...that is one of several she is interested in, so I just picked that name.

PNM...ok...told you I was new to this! She is at her invite of 13 now (Don't know which ones or how many invited her back...they got back at like midnight and were going at it again at about 10:00 am today, so haven't spoken with her yet) ...hope she is having as much fun today as she did on her first day.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Yeah, the dg does refer to Delta Gamma...that is one of several she is interested in, so I just picked that name.
It's considered poor form to have a username with a sorority name, symbols, etc. if you are not a member (and in this case, if your daughter is not a member)

I hope that your daughter is keeping an open mind in this process...

ETA: Not to sound harsh/snooty with my first remarks. I do realize that you are new to this! It's more of an FYI. If I didn't say it, someone else might have.

Last edited by lovespink88; 09-03-2012 at 12:58 PM.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:26 PM
GreekChat Member

It does sound a little snooty. Out of courtesy, I looked to see how a username can be changed, and it says only in extreme circumstances with permission. No big deal, because if people here are that sensitive, I doubt I will post here often, if ever again. I was simply trying to share information.

And, yes, she does have an open mind, and I noted that she liked several sororities in my post.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovespink88 View Post
If I didn't say it, someone else might have.
And if you hadn't already said it then it might have been said in a less considerate or kind way.

OP see if you can't get your user name changed soon. As the thread grows longer, the crabbier GC members tend to to comment.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
It does sound a little snooty. Out of courtesy, I looked to see how a username can be changed, and it says only in extreme circumstances with permission. No big deal, because if people here are that sensitive, I doubt I will post here often, if ever again. I was simply trying to share information.

And, yes, she does have an open mind, and I noted that she liked several sororities in my post.
Yes, people here can be that sensitive, hence why I brought it to your attention.

I understand that you are clearly not trying to pretend that you are your daughter are members of a sorority. It just tends to be problematic because other newbies who come here and don't see this exchange may read something else you have posted and assume you're/your daughter is member of that particular chapter, which can be confusing/misleading depending on the topic.

Also, what if your daughter pledges another group? It's a mutual selection process. She may LOVE DG but the chapter may not invite her back. Or maybe your daughter falls in love with another chapter today?

And it's certainly okay to have favorites! I was just hoping she was not putting all her eggs in one basket. You're right, you did say that DG was a favorite among others. I suppose I was getting ahead of myself a tad bit--just because you are completely new to this and didn't know putting a "favorite" sorority in your username isn't best practice, doesn't mean your daughter is putting all of her eggs in one basket.

I hope she's having a great first invite!
Old 09-03-2012, 02:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Better?