GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,456
0 members and 1,456 guests
No Members online

Old 01-07-2011, 11:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
It sounds like a mis-guided attempt to remove the stigma of participating in informal rush.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-07-2011, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
I hope that Panhellenic will rethink having the sororities who aren't participating at the meeting. Several of you GCers might remember when on one campus, 2 sororities decided to co-host a COB event. I was surprised because I knew that one sorority had to be way above total; the other was struggling.

So they had their party and bids were extended later--only to the struggling group! Lots of angry PNMs were saying, "Hey! We didn't show up to be rushed by that group, we wanted the other one!" Few bids were accepted and even fewer stayed in the group...1 or 2, we heard.

No one in either group would talk about it but all anyone could figure out was that maybe someone in the much bigger group felt sorry for friends in the other one and agreed to co-host the party? Definitely, honesty is the best policy in informal recruitment.
This would have been a great idea and been awesome as far as showing Panhellenic unity/no matter the letter we're all Greek together...IF they had been straight up about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
It sounds like a mis-guided attempt to remove the stigma of participating in informal rush.
Yes. When actually, it's only making the stigma WORSE because it's almost like they're saying "OMG, if the "good" sororities aren't included, no one will show up."

I can see the merit of having all the groups present so women who haven't done anything where sororities are concerned (in particular, transfers) know what all their options are, but it should be made absolutely, positively, so obvious that Stevie Wonder can see it CLEAR which sororities are bidding women at this time and which are not.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
That's exactly what it is, and all the chapters who usually participate are afriad of exactly such a situation. Houses not bidding are annoyed they have to send members and move chapter times. Its all around an akward thing to do.

I will for sure update about if anything like that happens or anything interesting!
Old 01-07-2011, 04:01 PM
GreekChat Member

I hear that alot of houses don't like their spring classes bc they are forced to accept them. I really want to do spring rush on Monday but I am afraid bc I don't want to feel let out especially because I am really shy.

Also, does anyone know what houses are doing spring or how the whole process works?
Old 01-07-2011, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator

Nobody is forced to accept anyone.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
Nobody is forced to accept anyone.
I mean forced to participate in spring recruitment due to the fact that they do not have the quota amount of members.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator

No one can really make the sororities do much besides show up at the meetings if they're content with the members they have.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC11 View Post
I mean forced to participate in spring recruitment due to the fact that they do not have the quota amount of members.
What you mean is total - quota is only used in formal rush. Campus total, as stated in another post, is 161.

If sororities that need those pledge classes to be at total are treating them in a way that shows they're unthrilled with them, that would be somewhat counterproductive, wouldn't it? Quite honestly, that sounds like a rumor started by a nasty person trying to damage the reputation of any chapter participating in spring rush. Ignore it.

Apparently once you attend the meeting, you will find out which chapters are extending bids. Keep in mind that the number of bids the chapters are allowed to extend may vary widely due to their different sizes.

Last edited by 33girl; 01-07-2011 at 04:33 PM.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:08 AM
GreekChat Member

From what I know, there may be a full announcement of who will be extending bids at the end of the event. However, it is more likely that the chapters will not be announced and bids will just be sent out (most likely via phone or meeting) to the PNMs they are interested.
I know I may have just said something different than I have before, but we are also just finding out our rules and requirements of us recruiters last night and it was relayed to chapter members today! Its all so fast, I'm spinning!!

And, to the "some chapters not liking their Spring girls": I find that to be a rumor as well! I know my very 1st grandlittle was a Spring girl and I was obsessed with her and her PC from the start - as was my whole chapter! So, don't worry about that, you will find your niche and it will be amazing! And, remember, going to the Information Session is free and non-binding, so going can only take a few hours of your life at the very worst. At the very best? You're life will be changed for the positive beyond your wildest dreams!!

Also, as to the houses being "forced" into it: I call crap. There a chapters here that have never met the quota/campus total, but are comfortable where they are so they don't do spring recruitment!!

Last edited by UFgatorLove; 01-08-2011 at 01:13 AM. Reason: Forgot something
Old 01-08-2011, 02:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFgatorLove View Post
From what I know, there may be a full announcement of who will be extending bids at the end of the event. However, it is more likely that the chapters will not be announced and bids will just be sent out (most likely via phone or meeting) to the PNMs they are interested.
Do you mean invitations to attend a party? This is the second time I've read on GC recently that BIDS were sent out after attending an informational event.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Like others said, we don't get forced to accept anyone. My chapter participated in spring recruitment for the first time last year, and we got some really great girls. I got another little and a grandlittle out of it, and I absolutely love them both.

To PC11, if you're really interested in going greek, I would definitely check out spring recruitment. And if you're shy, spring might be a really good opportunity for you. It's much more laid back than formal, and because it's only one night it's so much less overwhelming. As for being in a spring pledge class, I can definitely see the benefits of it. Because spring PCs are usually much smaller than fall PCs, you'll really get to know the girls in your pledge class.

And to DubaiSis, we do extend bids after spring recruitment. Our spring recruitment is very, very informal. It's a one night thing, and we extend bids to girls we're interested in shortly after.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:48 AM
GreekChat Member

That's amazing that your formal is SOOOO formal, and then you will pledge a girl after 1 meeting in the spring. Not that I'm against it - just surprised. I would have thought you'd have the informational, invite them to A party, and then extend a bid. Do some chapters end up doing a more extensive spring recruitment where they bring girls over to the house and stuff?

One more UF question. How many chapters are more than a couple below total? I realize some will have lost a couple due to graduation or drop-outs, but how many need to pick up, say, 10 girls or more? The NPC Recruitment thread doesn't have every house's Fall numbers listed, and you never know if those are just unreported or intentionally left blank. Besides, quota this year =/= total this year.

And I also call BS on the forced to take members thing. It's either a lie to do harm or a worry that someone has turned into reality. I could see a girl pledging in the spring, not having a positive new member period for whatever reason and blaming it on being a spring pledge. Kind of like the bitchy (fill in the blank home town, minority, major, ...) girl who blames not getting pledged on the second half of that statement instead of the first. I don't buy it. The only downside to pledging in the spring instead of the fall is you missed out on a semester of sisterhood. But since you can't jump in my way-back machine, there's no point in fretting over that.
Old 01-08-2011, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorGirl27 View Post
And to DubaiSis, we do extend bids after spring recruitment. Our spring recruitment is very, very informal. It's a one night thing, and we extend bids to girls we're interested in shortly after.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFgatorLove View Post
All houses will present at the Information Session on the 10th, like tabling. Then the women are are able to be bidded by multiple sororities or just one. The PNM will have the ability to visit the houses that bid her or that she is interested in (by invitation) and will choose a chapter to pledge by the end of the week (I believe, but they may have more time to think on their bid(s)).
So in other words, the rushee doesn't actually SIGN a bid after the informational - she can go to the houses that offered her bids and then picks which one to sign and begin pledging at by the end of the week.

Kind of makes sense, I guess, in that the groups don't want to give out more bids than they have room for or encourage more women than they have room for, but if for some reason all (example) 10 women that ABC offered bids to decided to pledge at other sororities, wouldn't ABC be immmensely screwed and have to start all over again?

I'm assuming this system came into place to make things more binding for the sororities because one or more of the chapters was overinviting wildly and upsetting rushees when they ended up with no bid.
Old 01-08-2011, 11:31 AM
GreekChat Member

I think that we have about 7-9 chapters that are eligible to extend bids. However, some may choose to not extend any or they will take below 10 women. No guarantees on anything about this because Panhellenic and chapter women are keeping it hush-hush (as usual).
I know my chapter is aiming to take 4-6 through the spring recruitment.
Its going to be a larger number of smaller PCs this year, from what I can tell.

Its only 2 days away! I'm so excited!!
Old 01-08-2011, 11:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Kind of makes sense, I guess, in that the groups don't want to give out more bids than they have room for or encourage more women than they have room for, but if for some reason all (example) 10 women that ABC offered bids to decided to pledge at other sororities, wouldn't ABC be immmensely screwed and have to start all over again?
Yes, that has happened to chapters before. I can say that I know some chapters prepare for that, because it is inevitable. So, they will consider and draft bids for 15+ girls if they have 10 or fewer spots to fill.