GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Locals

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,441
4 members and 1,437 guests
aantonygooglet9, John, Sen's Revenge

Old 02-03-2009, 08:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Stealers

Putting aside the situation with Delta Upsilon for a moment...

Of the groups that you mentioned (and others),

The Philippine groups which appear to me to be unquestionably stealers are Phi Beta Kappa of the Philippines (lawsuit from Phi Beta Kappa-USA in progress) and Sigma Alpha Epsilon of the Philippines (multitudinous evidence given by SAEalumnus here as well as other things I've found).

Alpha Phi Omega never stole. Even when relations were most cold after the sitaution with Ferdie Tabtab, APO-Phil still had the full permission to use all symbols and rituals.

Alpha Sigma Phi, there were issues at the beginning, I don't have a good feeling for when between the formation of the first group in the Philippines in 1959 and the formation of the International Council in 1984 that Alpha Sigma Phi of the Philippines gained the rights to use the symbols from the North American Groups.

(As far as I can tell if things do work out with DU-Int'l, that Delta Upsilon would be most similar to Alpha Sigma Phi of the ones here.)

I have *no* idea on the official relationship between Demolay of the Philippines with Demolay in the USA. I'll call the USA HQ today to ask.

Pan Xenia, the information that I've found indicates that, yes it was founded in the USA, but that all of the USA chapters (U of Washington, U of Oregon and U of Illinois) went under during or just after World War II and there does appear to be a legitimate link from there to the Philippines chapters.

This is as opposed to Fox Theta Delta which claims to have been founded in East Lancing[sic], Michigan in 1901 that even the Archivist at Michigan State can find no trace of.

Sigma Nu is also iffy, while it is quite clear that the USA National Fraternity does not recognize them, what is unclear is whether the group in the Philippines is claiming to be part of them.

And there are duplication of letters that appear to be completely innocent. To pick two from the Wikipedia page: Omega Phi Delta where the USA group is younger (1990 vs. 2006) and Sigma Xi (Xians in the Philippines) (Scientific Honorary in the USA)

If you have additional examples of groups with these sorts of ties, I'll be happy to research them. (I'm a volunteer on both Alpha Phi Omega(-USA)'s History and Archives Committee and Alpha Phi Omega(-USA)'s International Relations Cmte, and I also am responsible for most of the references on the Wikipedia pages so I've done this research before. )
Old 02-03-2009, 02:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
I have *no* idea on the official relationship between Demolay of the Philippines with Demolay in the USA. I'll call the USA HQ today to ask.
I called the USA HQ to ask and was told that they had a separate National Council and as such wasn't under Demolay-USA but that the National Organization there was recognized as such by Demolay USA. Doesn't sound quite as attached as Alpha Phi Omega or Alpha Sigma Phi, but no problem there.

Randy
Old 02-03-2009, 03:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
Originally Posted by alumnisec View Post
The reason we first establish the chapter it`s because we want it to solidify as what the alumni from Alberta and Miami had guide and advise us.No more ,no less if not because of them we will not expand this fraternity.
Are you saying that alumni from Delta Upsilon in America helped you establish your first chapter??

Quote:
Even if today if the Board will order to shut down then we will close all chapters.
Why not close all the chapters first and then ask the fraternity if they will set up chapters in your country?

Quote:
Please never mention that Filipinos were stealing or doing copyright materials
So, you haven't been using Delta Upsilon's ritual or obtaining Delta Upsilon membership pins?

Quote:
Once again I will say ,as a moderator in [deleted] if you could try to visit that site there you will find fraternities which are present in the Philippines cause its similar to greekchat.
I have visited [deleted].

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.

Last edited by SAEalumnus; 02-04-2009 at 07:30 PM.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
As a Filipino-American, I seriously think you guys try too hard.
???? try too hard for what???

i am sorry but i'm kinda lost of what are your trying to say???? "helloooo???"
Old 02-15-2009, 08:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by APhiO View Post
Have you heard Beta Sigma Fraternity/Brotherhood of Scholars?

Gosh, they almost kill their neophytes, using paddle to test your determination and your loyalty to their weird brotherhood.
same with APHIO... LOL
Old 02-15-2009, 09:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
STOP POSTING.

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.