GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,330
1 members and 1,329 guests
FSUZeta

Old 09-06-2007, 04:03 PM
GreekChat Member

cant choose..

I go to Arizona State University..As of right now I have a bid from sigma nu, sigma chi, kappa sig and delta chi..i either want in kappa sig or delta chi but i really cant decided...help?
Old 09-06-2007, 05:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asudcardoza View Post
I go to Arizona State University..As of right now I have a bid from sigma nu, sigma chi, kappa sig and delta chi..i either want in kappa sig or delta chi but i really cant decided...help?
Joining a fraternity is for life. As such, you need to accept the bid that best suits you. Not random people from an internet chat site.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I may be biased, but I know some guys at the ASU Chapter and I would heavily push you towards Sigma Chi. I'm a Sig from the Kappa Phi Chapter of Sigma Chi at Embry Riddle Prescott Campus. We go down there every now and then for parties and what not. Out of those you mentioned, maybe out of all fraternities as a whole, Sigma Chi offers one of the best International Organizations, alumini networks as well as an excellent leadership training workshop held annually. We won't say we're the best, but there are none better. Sigma Chi is for life, the alumini and brothers I have met all take that very seriously. I've seen 80 year old men, who've been Sigs for 60 years cry their eyes out at initiations and after singing songs with the chapter. Sounds like you did a good job checking out all of the fraternities on campus, I hope you find it here.

Oh and btw in August Sigma Chi set the record for largest attended initiation of a Greek organization with 1,500+ brothers attending the Xi Xi Chapter installation at the University of Missouri, Columbia.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigTheSig View Post
I may be biased, but I know some guys at the ASU Chapter and I would heavily push you towards Sigma Chi.
Without disputing anything you said about how great a chapter it is, TSteven is right. However good a chapter it may be doesn't mean it's the right chapter for asudcardoza. It could be the best chapter of any fraternity anywhere in the world, but if it's not a good fit for him, then it's not the right choice for him.

Quote:
Sigma Chi is for life, the alumini and brothers I have met all take that very seriously.
All fraternities are for life, and no one fraternity has a corner on the market of alumni who take that seriously. I can assure you that, just as a few examples, I take it seriously, that my Kappa Sig father took it seriously and that my Beta grandfather took it seriously.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:50 PM
GreekChat Member

While MysticCat said it best, all Fraternal groups profess for life.

But when it comes to keeping Alumni in the loop some lag. They are getting better daily as some feel a Fraternity is for undergrads. But, there are many Alumni out here who work their rears off to keep in touch, donate money, and work with their Chapters and Nationals.

All in all, all things being equal, most are about the same. Some have been around longer, bigger or cover more of the States and Canada.

Basicaly it is two thought process, the chapter and members who you feel best with and what you can do after graduation.

Everyone that you mentioned are excellent organizations. Take your best shot, but make sure they are who you will fit in with. They will be the ones who you will be living with for 4-5 years.

Have fun. Wish we were still at ASU!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 09-11-2007, 04:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to banditone
You're going to probably have a blast no matter which you choose.

But, if we are talking ASU - Sigma Nu or their across the street neighbors Sigma Chi are where it's at
Old 09-11-2007, 04:43 PM

Quote:
If you want to go with Kappa Sig or Delta Chi, think about which group you felt the most home with. Which group can you see yourself going to football games, drinking beer, or just sitting around the couches veggie with. Which group made you feel welcome and talked to you about their chapter activities and brotherhood with excitement? That's where you should go.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 12-05-2007, 08:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Honestly forget what everyone says about the two fraternities and their reputations on campus and answer the question of who are you more comfortable talking with and which group of guys did you get along with better.
Old 12-08-2007, 08:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Make sure that whichever one you join is respected on campus by both men and women.
Old 12-08-2007, 09:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Check in with the 2 groups and visit with each one last time. Talk to a lot of the guys and their other new pledges. Tell them you feel lucky to have gotten a bid. Say that you want to chat one more time b/c you understand this is an important commitment. If they don't respect that, they're not the kind of guys you want to pledge. I believe they will probably tell you to come around and say hi. And they'll probably do their best to sell you on why you should accept the bid as long as you don't come off as an arrogant jerk trying to balance multiple bids.

Make a pro-con list if it isn't immediately apparent which one to choose. Some things to consider:
  • Dues - can you afford them?
  • Live-in requirements (is there a house?)
  • Which group are you most comfortable with?
  • How do they treat their pledges?
  • What is the new member period like and how much time are you going to have to commit? Remember, you still have classes and a GPA to keep up.
  • What's their social calendar look like?
  • What are the other new pledges like? You'd be spending a lot of time with them, and you will run the chapter with them before very long.
  • What do others on campus think about them? Any dishonorable activities or associations you should be aware of?
  • And most important -- can you be yourself around these guys or do you feel like you are putting up a false image of who you really are?
Old 12-08-2007, 10:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
He posted this at the beginning of September... I hope he's made a decision on his bid. (I wish he'd come back and let us know how it worked out...)