GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,008
1 members and 1,007 guests
No Members online

Old 11-02-2006, 10:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Auburn Spring Rush 07

I am rushing this spring to join a fraternity, and I was just wondering how that works. Do they have events before formal rush like they do in the summer? I was a pledge but just dropped right before initiation and am looking to pledge somewhere else next semester. I know how fall recruitment works, i just need some information on spring. It would be helpful if someone at Auburn or an alum to give me some information on this. Thanks.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-02-2006, 10:39 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm an alum. Some houses don't do spring rush. They have events, and they're going on now. Usually AU fraternities recruit through the fall among friends of pledges and whatnot. There will probably be a few band parties before spring rush, but it depends on the fraternity. If you go through again, you might wanna stay quiet on the fact that you pledged and dropped.
Old 11-03-2006, 01:59 AM
GreekChat Member

I am not from Auburn but visited our chapter there a few times during my undergrad days. I did my undergrad at UGA and U. Texas and it is my understanding Auburn works much the same way.

As shinerbock said, not every house takes a spring class- many don't.

Do you have any friends in sororities? If so, I would suggest you talk to them and get their honest advice. And then see if any of them can help you get in touch with good fraternities who plan to take pledges in the spring.

Also, what friends do you have from high school or your current classes who are in fraternities? Give those people a call and see what they can do for you.

Please don't take this wrong, but a lot of houses at schools like Auburn (UGA and UT included) already have a good bit of their spring class selected. Does not mean you are out of the running- but now is a good time to start talking to people you know to see what your options are.

Get some invites to band parties after the football games remaining in the season and just get yourself out there as a potential candidate.

And as shinerbock said, this is a good time to forget your recent pledgeship and move forward. Start from zero and pretend it never happened. If you dropped from a good house, then people will wonder why you left. If you dropped from a lesser house, people will wonder why you pledged there in the first place.

Some people who drop were never meant to be Greek- and others made an honest mistake and will make a solid brother somewhere else. This is the internet and I have no idea which you are. Guys evaluating you during rush will not necessarily know either- so just leave this semester behind and forget about it.

Hope this is helpful and good luck to you. I do mean that. My advice may seem a bit harsh, but I am just telling you how it is. Perception is reality and your goal right now is to talk with people you know and trust in the Greek system and see if they can help you discreetly get back into the rush process to take another shot.
Old 11-03-2006, 10:51 AM
GreekChat Member

If it does come up that you dropped, give a good reason. I'm not telling you to lie, but "I just didn't fit in there well" is not gonna fly. Something like "my pledge class was full of stoners" or "they seemed like yankees" or something would work better. We took a guy who dropped one time, and his thing was that they were really sketchy and gelled-hair metrosexuals. Just make it clear that you're like them, and that you didn't drop because you couldnt cut it. Of course, fraternities know about other fraternities, so if you dropped a good one, they'll know you're lying.
Old 11-05-2006, 04:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Do Aubrun Greeks haze?

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 11-05-2006, 07:24 PM
GreekChat Member

some do, but i havent heard of anything too terrible this semester
Old 11-17-2006, 01:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Earp View Post
Do Aubrun Greeks haze?
Of course we do. Auburn Old Row Southern fraternities haze, always have, always will. The fine schools of the south will always represent the standards (in dress, appearance, and also actions) that are what fraternities used to be. We dont beleive in giving a bid and three weeks later making the kid a brother. Fraternities are not country clubs in which you buy your membership, they are organizations that you have to earn your right to be a part of. It is sad that the South is the only place that you can still find this.
Old 11-19-2006, 06:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertearlkeen View Post
Of course we do. Auburn Old Row Southern fraternities haze, always have, always will. The fine schools of the south will always represent the standards (in dress, appearance, and also actions) that are what fraternities used to be. We dont beleive in giving a bid and three weeks later making the kid a brother. Fraternities are not country clubs in which you buy your membership, they are organizations that you have to earn your right to be a part of. It is sad that the South is the only place that you can still find this.
I'm sure your founders would see hazing as what fraternities "used to be."
Old 11-19-2006, 06:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
It's sadder that you think hazing is accepta...you know what, never mind, this is not the time or place. Just know that I disagree with your opinion in many many ways.

And Jesus speaketh, "do unto others as they did unto you because the bitches deserve it".

Old 11-27-2006, 03:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessSigKap View Post
I'm sure your founders would see hazing as what fraternities "used to be."

Im sure that my founders would agree on the fact that hazing is a necessary part of pledgeship to ensure that the pledge class grows together and also that they have earned the right to become a brother.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Same down here in Austin.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Earp View Post
Do Aubrun Greeks haze?
Why? Are you going to call Auburn's Greek Affairs Office?
Old 11-29-2006, 05:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macallan25 View Post
Why? Are you going to call Auburn's Greek Affairs Office?
Unfortunately they do, 3 houses got in trouble this semester becuase their pledges suck and called the hazing hotline. Kids called because they had to carry smokes and another kid called because he had to wear khakis and a collared shirt everyday. When you have kids calling for shit like that, you know the world is going to hell.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:50 AM
GreekChat Member

If you don't wear a collared shirt almost every day, you don't belong in a fraternity...in fact, you don't belong at Auburn.
Old 11-30-2006, 02:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to BrendanMcGrail
That's odd, since I wear a collared shirt only when I must, and I'm in a fraternity. The only reasoning I can see that even remotely supports this is that it's a sign of "gentlemanly conduct", which I would assume should be based more on, well, conduct, and less on dress.

Furthermore, if you need to make a guy carry cigarettes or tell him how to dress, or any other sort of inane behavioral corrections to make him part of your fraternity - why the hell did you give him a bid in the first place?