GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,445
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Avalanchejqr
» Online Users: 2,357
0 members and 2,357 guests
No Members online

Old 01-26-2004, 07:45 AM
GreekChat Member

sister who wants to deactivate to join another sorority

hi, i have a sister who is going to deactivate from the sorority in order to pursue a house of another. i am not sure how to feel, i am very mixed because i want to support her but i also feel very betrayed. how would handle this situation? how woul dyou feel? what would you say?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-26-2004, 08:15 AM
GreekChat Member

i thought that was against policy- when you join one house, it is for life. you cant join another or something like that
Old 01-26-2004, 08:17 AM

The facts as I understand them: If she is an initiated sister of a NPC organization, she will not be able to deactivate and pursue another NPC group.

If she is a new member (non-initiate) she may choose to depledge a NPC and pursue membership in another NPC without penalty. I don't have a Green Book handy, but I believe a signed bid card is binding for a calendar year. Therefore, if she pledged last fall, she'd be eligible to pledge another group NEXT fall.

Members of local sororities can pledge and initiate into NPC groups without penalty from the NPC group. For local groups, it would depend on their existing governing documents and policies on how such a decision would be handled.

If she is initiated and wanting to do this, boy, would my feelings be hurt. I'd be the type to tell her, point blank, that it was against Sorority Law to drop out of our sorority to join XYZ (remember, I'm thinking NPC-land here!) If she wasn't, sure, my feelings would be hurt and I'd miss her--heck, I'd probably tell her that AND try to convince her not to do it--but in the end I'd want her to be happy and would still be her friend.
Old 01-26-2004, 08:18 AM
Unregistered-

If you are initiated into an NPC organization, you cannot join another NPC organization. And that's that.

However, this is not always the case for local, MC, or regional sororities.
Old 01-26-2004, 08:23 AM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally posted by AOIIalum
The facts as I understand them: If she is an initiated sister of a NPC organization, she will not be able to deactivate and pursue another NPC group.

If she is a new member (non-initiate) she may choose to depledge a NPC and pursue membership in another NPC without penalty. I don't have a Green Book handy, but I believe a signed bid card is binding for a calendar year. Therefore, if she pledged last fall, she'd be eligible to pledge another group NEXT fall.

Members of local sororities can pledge and initiate into NPC groups without penalty from the NPC group. For local groups, it would depend on their existing governing documents and policies on how such a decision would be handled.

If she is initiated and wanting to do this, boy, would my feelings be hurt. I'd be the type to tell her, point blank, that it was against Sorority Law to drop out of our sorority to join XYZ (remember, I'm thinking NPC-land here!) If she wasn't, sure, my feelings would be hurt and I'd miss her--heck, I'd probably tell her that AND try to convince her not to do it--but in the end I'd want her to be happy and would still be her friend.
Ack! I posted a minute after you did!

But you are right, a signed bid card is binding for a calendar year:

[from npcwomen.org]

A signed Membership Recruitment Acceptance or a Continuous Open Bidding (COB) Acceptance is binding. If a potential member receives a bid under the preference system, she is ineligible to be pledged to any other NPC fraternity on the same campus for one calendar year. If a potential member does not receive a bid under the preference system, she is eligible for COB. (4)

A woman who has had her pledge broken by an NPC fraternity, or who has broken her pledge to an NPC fraternity, may not be asked to join another NPC fraternity on that campus for one calendar year from the date she was originally pledged. However, she may be repledged by the same NPC fraternity chapter at any time within that calendar year.

Does this rule also apply even though she transferred back to her original campus?
Old 01-26-2004, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by AOIIalum

That's how I understand NPC rules, too. I would think that, if this woman were to try to join another NPC sorority, she should seriously consider that they will not take her, because of this clause.
Old 01-26-2004, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by OohTeenyWahine
Ack! I posted a minute after you did!
Great minds

Quote:

Does this rule also apply even though she transferred back to her original campus?
Now, that's a good question. If she left the school where she pledged and transfers to a new school (regardless whether she attended there before or not) then I believe she would not have to wait out the year. It's only when a girl depledges and wants to join another sorority at the same school would the one year rule come into effect.

Of course, this is only correct if we're talking NPC groups. I'm going to guess--based on various things I've learned on GC mostly--that if this were a NPHC group the odds of her 'deactivating' and joining another NPHC group are slim and none.

Question, is there a "governing body" similar to NPC or NPHC for the multicultural GLOs yet? If there is, then their rules or agreements would apply for the member groups.

A lot of info, but depending on what sorority this girl is a member of probably dictates whether she even CAN disaffiliate (not all sororities allow this, or call it something a lot different) or if she could join another sorority. There probably are a lot of variables involved.
Old 01-26-2004, 10:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Umm, I know none of the chapters here at Ole Miss would even consider a woman who was a fully initiated member of another sorority and she wanted to join something else. To me that is cheating the system. However, if she pledges somewhere and then depledges, then I know she would have to wait a year from when she depledged...or something like that. Anyway, perhaps sorority life was not meant for her.
Old 01-26-2004, 10:45 AM

From the Panhellenic Compact:

7. When a pledge transfers to another campus, her pledge is broken, and she is eligible to pledge an NPC fraternity on that campus at the earliest opportunity.

If I am a pledge at Clarion in January and transfer to Slippery Rock in February before I'm initiated, I can pledge anything at Slippery Rock as soon as I get there.

However, if I am initiated, I cannot.
Old 01-26-2004, 10:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
However, this is not always the case for local, MC, or regional sororities.
Quote:
that if this were a NPHC group the odds of her 'deactivating' and joining another NPHC group are slim and none.
even if it werent part of the "rules," you know its a lifetime committment, and if u feel the need to switch orgs, then u obviously didnt research. of course, she could go inactive.

and i seriously doubt NPHC would have it.

p.s. if ur gonna withdraw ffrom an org, then u better have a good reason (what is a good reason?)
Old 01-26-2004, 11:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ASTLuv21
Quote:
Originally posted by tld221
p.s. if ur gonna withdraw ffrom an org, then u better have a good reason (what is a good reason?)
Good reasons to leave an orgnization to me is finicial reasons, medical reasons, and sometimes I will go along with the "It's not right for me" because sometimes a lady will join and later find out that a sorority isn't for her and I totally understand that.
Old 01-26-2004, 12:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via AIM to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via Yahoo to PhiPsiRuss
Quote:
Originally posted by OohTeenyWahine
If you are initiated into an NPC organization, you cannot join another NPC organization. And that's that.
Unless the rules have changed, that's not true.

When I was at FSU, I knew a women who joined a sorority when she was a freshman. She left FSU after her freshman year, and attended a community college where she got her AA. She returned to FSU for her junior year, and had a real bad falling out with her sorority. She resigned. A few months later, she joined the colony of another NPC sorority, and she did wear her new letters on campus.

If this was against the rules, it would have been very obvious that an infraction was being flaunted.
Old 01-26-2004, 12:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by russellwarshay
Unless the rules have changed, that's not true.

If this was against the rules, it would have been very obvious that an infraction was being flaunted.
The rules have not changed in many years, but it IS true that you cannot be an initiated member of two NPC groups. If this happened the way you say, then it was still against the rules.
Old 01-26-2004, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by tld221
...and i seriously doubt NPHC would have it.
You're correct on that assumption.
Old 01-26-2004, 12:33 PM
GreekChat Member

in regards to russellwarshay's post about the girl in 2 sororities:

how is something like that prevented from happening?

when a pnm is seeking membership in a sorority, is there a way for the sorority to check with NPC to see if she is or was a member of another NPC sorority (whether at another campus or the same one)?