GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Sigma > Sigma Phi Epsilon

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24

Old 12-23-2003, 02:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SteveHofstetter
Red Door

I havent been on Greek Chat in like a year. Forgot how adicting this thing is. Anyway...

Just wanted to comment on how cool the red door is. I'm a standup comic, and I've been traveling the college circuit for the last few months. I've stayed with SigEps at Ohio State, Lynchburg, UCSD, Iowa, UN-Kearney, UC-Boulder, and CMU. I've also stayed with my own undgrad brothers in Charlottesville, Tulsa, and LA. Every now and then, you get reminded how truly remarkable this fraternity is, and i'm glad to be a part of it.

Good to be a SigEp.
Old 01-18-2004, 12:50 PM
GreekChat Member

I haven't been to the Omaha Funny Bone yet, but maybe some day. I passed through Kearney on my way from U Wyoming to U Iowa. Actually, right now I'm sitting outside the UNM SigEp house in Albuquerque. I'm playing at Laffs here tonight, and the guys are hosting me. As I'm sure your dad knows, it is great to be a SigEp.
Old 01-18-2004, 01:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
Sorry to crash your board. My stepdad pledged SigEp when he was in college, and they were always referred to as "Red Doors" because he said all the SigEp houses had front doors painted red. I went out with a SigEp once, though (same chapter as my stepdad pledged about 40 years ago), and he thought I was nuts when I asked why the new house they built didn't have a red door...do you all not do that anymore?
Old 01-18-2004, 04:46 PM
GreekChat Member

SigEps have a red door as a welcome mat for other SigEps - it's an old tradition - almost as old as SigEp itself. There are occassional chapters that don't do it - but i'd say 95% of SigEp houses have the red door, if not more than that.
Old 02-01-2004, 02:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to sigep533 Send a message via AIM to sigep533 Send a message via Yahoo to sigep533
most do have a red door yes.
Old 03-22-2004, 06:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DG515 Send a message via Yahoo to DG515
i love the red doors

*sorry to crash*
but I love the red doors....the Sig Eps I know are all so welcoming and it's so awesome with the concept of the red doors. The brothers that I am close with all have red bedroom doors so the concept of welcome extends even into their private spaces. We don't have a house here (we are on a commuter campus) but one of the local chapters has a house (IN Eta) and I visit with them all the time (they are all like big brothers to me, and that's great) and even though I'm not a brother, with such a welcoming attitude and great group of men everytime I walk through the red door it's kind of like being at home.
Greek Love and Mine,
~*~Mandie~*~
Old 04-16-2004, 03:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to CSUSigEp
I love your columns on Collegehumor.com, Steve.
Old 01-19-2005, 11:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SigEp506
Red Door Atlanta, GA

Off the Topic of the Red Door a little.

If anyone is ever in Atlanta, GA. As you know buckhead is the place to be, and one of the Alumni of Sig Ep has opened up a tavern called the Red Door. Yes it has a Red Door, and the floor is tiled in purple and red. All the Sig Eps from Ga Alpha, and Ga Epsilon hang out there most nights. It is like the show Cheers, you walk in and everyone knows your name. The owner's name is Steve. He would love to meet all of you.
There is always an alumni meeting on the first Tuesday of every month there around 6. So stop on in.
Old 02-16-2005, 08:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to fliotasigep
more red door

there is a place in front of the ice palace down here in tampa that is owned by a sigep and all the doors except the women's bathroom are red, it's probably my favorite tradition, and I know many alum who keep it even after they graduate by adding a red door somewhere in their home
Old 12-30-2005, 01:23 PM
GreekChat Member

The red door is probably my single favorite tradition. Good call on the reminder. That bar sounds awesome...
Old 02-18-2006, 08:24 AM
GreekChat Member

F.Y.I.

The Red Door tradition was started at New York Alpha (Syracuse Univ)

Since the Chaper is 100 years old can't really say when the doors were actually painted.

Doug Rankin '67 N.Y.A.
Old 02-23-2006, 04:18 AM
Banned

can you go out to like home depot to get warm red 7 or is it a specialty order. my chapter has the red doors, but im pretty sure its just regular red paint.
Old 05-08-2006, 01:41 AM
GreekChat Member

we just have normal red paint. our past two presidents have gotten belligerant and broken the door, so we've had to get new ones and we've just used the college's paint
Old 06-01-2006, 12:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Knight0843
Thumbs up

At Oklahoma Alpha every door in the Chapter is red except the women's restroom and the Ritual Room. It is a great tradition, and I know many Alumni that have Red Doors on their houses.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jennie3576
when i was in school, my roommate and a bunch of SigEp friends of ours ventured on a road trip from Seton Hall to Muhlenberg. It was then that my roommate and I were told about the red door thing. When we knocked on the door, the SigEps there immediately were all emcompassing - welcoming us all into the house and showing us around, invited us for a party and even told us we were all free to stay as long as we wanted! I just thought that was so amazing. I mean, I am always welcoming to all of my sisters like that, but to have the door to illustrate it is awesome.

I miss road trips....