GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,870
4 members and 1,866 guests
bbobbyusady4719, LaneSig, Sciencewoman

Old 08-27-2001, 04:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Justamom, out of curiosity, which sorority were you in and where?

I can't wait for my children to go through rush but that is a long way away.

Thank you so much for the updates and I wish your daughter the best of luck.
Old 08-27-2001, 06:27 PM
GreekChat Member

I am just as paranoid as my daughter. My sorority is not on LSU and since it is much stronger in other parts of the country, I doubt many pledges have this as their legacy. I am very proud of it and there are MANY on this board, but I can't compromise her privacy.

If members think this thread has been to open, I will deleat (if I can figure it out) my posts so not to frighten PNMs. What I posted is a true depiction of the events my daughter went through. Much was left out due to it's inflamatory nature. I will say this, at the beginning of last summer, there was a "gathering" of HS seniors and college freshmen. A member of a high profile sorority pulled 3 girls aside. Within earshot of the other senior girls she told these three that THEY should be ____. Of course this hurt the other girls's feelings. If this happened in one city, could it not have happened elsewhere? Anyway, that is the very sorority that did not make quota. I know my daughter never considered them as a possibility after that. Actives, please tell your newer members to use care when dealing with people.

NOW-My last post. My daughter called and all is well. In fact, she said"Mom, we ROCK!" I heard the confidence and happiness of the old daughter. She is so PROUD! Time has allowed the girls to get together and of course gossip! She has been approached about leadership possibilities. Her first words were, "Mom. I've gotta find a date!" If that is her biggest problem, I am blessed as is she. I believe she has found the best place in the world even though I know it's a place that will lead her from being my little girl into womanhood. Isn't that what we all want for our children?
So, maybe a happy ending will prove to the rushees that first and foremost-RUN from anyone involved in dirty rush tactics. Second, sometimes the match could be one "made in heaven". Now, I say goodbye and thanks for your kind words. LOOK OUT LSU! HERE SHE COMES!
Old 08-27-2001, 06:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Justamom ~
just becuase you daughters recruitment ordeals are over doesn't mean that you have to say goodbye! I can only speak for my self - but the way you presented her rush was in such a classy and upbeat manner - i would hate to lose you b/c I see you as an asset to GC! You're a member of a GLO and other members on this board could greatly benefit from your wisdom and advice. also - tell your daughter to come back to GC and share with us her DG experience- we'd love to hear from her!
Old 08-27-2001, 06:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to amycat412
Justamom--
I think you've shown discretion and class in your posts. You didn't mention any names of the different chapters-- and the naming of chapters that PNMs are bahsing to different degrees is what the GC community is sensitive to.

You presented the events of your daughter's rush as they happened without naming names. That was great! This has been one of my favorite posts to read!

And though I am a Chi Omega and love XO, several of my very best friends are Delta Gammas and I am so excited that is where you're daughter is now! Its a great organization nationally and (as I understand it) was founded on the prinicples of friendship--which I just love!!

Amy
Old 08-27-2001, 06:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LeslieAGD
I agree with IowaHawkeye and Amycat that you have shown a lot of discretion and respect with all of your posts.
Old 08-27-2001, 11:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Salience Send a message via Yahoo to Salience
Smile

Justamom, thank you for sharing with us. I do hope to continue interacting with you and your daughter on GC as well.

Who knows, maybe my mom might come in here, should I be so blessed with membership into the sorority I am pursuing??

Take care.
Old 10-19-2001, 11:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile just a mom, congrats to your daughter!!!

First of all, Much Congratulations to your daughter for choosing such and awesome sorority!! Second choices on pref night become your first choice always in your heart! Your daughter seems like an cool girl who will succeed at anything. I was upset (but not suprised) to hear about how the girls that were cut from sororities treated her. I went through rush at LSU this year too and I am DYING to know who didn't make quota!!!(You can email me if you like) Although I have a pretty good idea. Thanks for all your posts.

To Potential New Members:
From experience, never ever judge a soroity by name, reputation, etc. alone unless you witness it for yourself (an even then, one girl doesn't represent the whole sorority.)
I know everyone tells new members this...I was told this and when going through rush, at first, i ignored it. Until I realized that after i had judged a house as being one of the "not so strong" sororites I was totally wrong. I have such a respect for the girls in it now (my best friend even pledged there) Although I pledged elsewhere.
ALL sororities at LSU are awesome and even if you get cut...there are so many things to do here that being Greek isn't the most important thing. I always take my non Greek friends out with my sisters. The greatest thing was hearing my non Greek friend say that she will never judge sorority girls as snobby after meeting my sisters.
Last bit of advice: If you ever feel awkward at a rush party, (like the girls are judging you) go with your instincts and don't pledge there. Understand that it is normal to feel a little awkward... you'll see what i mean when you get there.. but the girls should ALWAYS try to make you feel at home.
Sorry So Long, any questions about LSU rush or just general rush questions feel free to email me
Old 10-20-2001, 09:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up how about an update?

your posts were exceptional. how's your daughter doing? is everything still wonderful? we'd love to know.
cheers
mmcat
Old 10-20-2001, 11:26 AM
GreekChat Member

ThetaLove-According to my daughter, you do indeed have wonderful girls in your sorority. They impressed her right from the start. She said there is a lot of friendship between your two chapters.
Juniorgrrl said in the end, everyone ended up with quota. I believe one achieved it through snap bids, but I could be wrong so I don't want to say. By now, everyone seems to be into the swing of things so all's well that ends well! Next rush, you KNOW there will be tons of girls with questions who will need your help. Southern Rush is a different animal. Congrats for finding a home you love as well!

mmcat-HI! My sweetie is so happy. Now that the sororities have dropped their "rush" faces, some comical situations have occurred. Yes, some of those stereotypes seem to be valid in isolated cases. She is over at the house constantly and can't wait for the chance to move in. The mixers are fun, but she really likes the independent guys better(so far).
Acacia is one of her favorite fraternities (but they still have some others to mix with), she has found a few to be dull or full of themselves. These are generally the Fresh. and Soph. guys though.
I told her there are two times when fraternity guys CAN be unbearable, first when they pledge-they buy into reputations of their own organization, perception of Greek Life and sororities. Next is when they are newly initiated-Dang do they think they're "hot stuff" for a while. I guess that's the end result of a good pledge program though.
She is able to balance a Greek life with having independent contacts. THIS WAS IMPERATIVE. She also has close friends in KKG, Phi Mu, Theta, KD and ZTA. The bottom line-and I'm sure it's the same for ThetaLove and just about everyone else, she couldn't imagine herself anywhere else.
I do get a bit concerned about the party atmosphere, but that's part of learning too. Grades are really good so far but it's a long road and she's just at the begining. Thanks so much for asking.
Old 10-21-2001, 01:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to TigerGirl52
Hey justamom!!!!! I'm so glad your daughter is adjusting to everything at LSU. I'm so glad she's happy with her sorority too!!!! If she ever needs anything...let me know. I'm more than willing to look out for a fellow Tiger!!!!!!

Allison
Old 10-21-2001, 09:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up excellent update

i'm delighted it's going so well for her.
things generally turn out as they were meant to be.
keep us posted.
mmcat
Old 06-25-2002, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator

I'm bumping this up because it was a realistic depiction of the rushes at many large Southern (and other) schools. It also shows how everything can turn out OK--justamom's daughter is sublimely happy in DG a year later!!
Old 07-04-2003, 09:09 PM
Super Moderator

bumping this for the same reason I did a year ago!
Old 07-05-2003, 12:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up agreed

it's just as real and important today as it was then...
congrats to jam and her daughter.
and best of luck to those getting ready to rush.
you can learn a bunch reading this thread.
Old 07-05-2003, 09:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Holy Cow! What a shock to see this thead again.

Just a simple addition-
Because of one of her sisters, she got a job out of state. She met some girls from Scotland, England and Australia.

She is going to move to England next July, work and go to school. They will work in Liverpool then go to London, where the girl has a flat, and attend school. Her family has invited our family for Christms 2004. Of course a lot of things could change, but I know how she is and the probability of this actually coming to fruition is in the high 90%. It is her dream.

I said to her, "...and just think, all this because you pledged DG!"
She thought it was pretty funny too!