GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,420
1 members and 2,419 guests
navane

Old 01-16-2013, 11:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Texas Tech fraternity rush(as a minority)

I am posting here since I don't know if it's right one!!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just like to say I am a minority(big time) here at Tech..I would say South Asian descent(nepalese) with a good dash of Iranian complexion.Weird makeup(people would say I am mexican/indian/persian/brazilian). Oh, don't mind the username, I chose that for no apparent reason whatsoever.

But anyways, I am kinda worried about rushing a fraternity here at Tech, I just don't know how it's gonna be. I am third year(transfer), very late but thought I would get a little more experience before I graduate and leave the States. Is it worth joining a fraternity as someone like me? I know I am not the average weight-lifting beer drinking country bro, but will I be ignored most of the time just because of I am not the typical guy on the picture?

One of my good friends is strongly against any fraternity/sorority, saying it's absolutely not worth my time( I am doing medicine, which does take a lot of time). Besides, he thinks it's only for bullies and not for internationals like me, since the culture change and alienation/ignorance will be too much (he's white).

Besides, what I am even gonna wear when I got to the fraternity rush? Can't really find anything on the website.

Hopefully some out here could give me good solid advice(preferably someone inside). I would be happy to get a great group of friends that I could trust and would be respectful of me..plus a little more experience to take with me when I leave the States.I know that personality is important, but I try to be as good as I can.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-17-2013, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew32 View Post
One of my good friends is strongly against any fraternity/sorority, saying it's absolutely not worth my time( I am doing medicine, which does take a lot of time). Besides, he thinks it's only for bullies and not for internationals like me, since the culture change and alienation/ignorance will be too much (he's white).
And I bet he also says "I'm not racist! One of my best friends is South Asian/Iranian!" DTMFA.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator

You don't know until you try. Having had international students as fraternity brothers, it was a rewarding experience for both sides. The process is mutually selective, so if they're a bunch of racists, they're not going to call you back.

We have a Japanese alumnus who comes back every year for formal.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 01-18-2013, 01:00 AM
GreekChat Member

I agree with Kevin -- you won't know if you don't give it a shot! I know of more than a few minority men who have joined IFC fraternities. I actually have a friend whose son pledged a chapter at Texas Tech this past fall -- judging by the pictures he has posted on Facebook, there are at least two minority guys in his pledge class!

Why does your friend hold such a harsh opinion of fraternity members? Whatever his reasons are, it sounds like YOU really do want to pursue the possibly of joining, so don't let his negativity sway you. Now it is true that pledging can be time consuming, so make sure your balancing skills are up to par. Based on your major, I've no doubt that your course load is demanding.

As for what to wear...I'm going to bow out and hope someone connected to or familiar with your school can give you info. Appropriate attire can vary geographically and depend on the actual event. You could always call or email the Greek Life office and just ask them what is standard dress at the events -- very casual, business casual, etc. They should be able to tell you and they are there to help.

Best wishes and I really hope this works out for you. Fraternity membership and brotherhood is for life, so even when you leave the States, you will still have the lifelong affiliation.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Agree with the above...I've been following the Lambda Chi Alpha recolonization @ Tech b/c my husband is a LXA, and I've been working on my nephew to consider them, and based on the pictures I've seen, there are some minorities among their members. I imagine that is true for many of the other chapters on campus. Give it a shot, and see how you feel & if you hit it off with any of the groups...that's the whole point of recruitment.

Can't help you with what to wear; I think it depends on the event. Perhaps the campus Greek Life office can offer some guidance. Good luck to you!