GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,057
2 members and 1,055 guests
PGD-GRAD, Xidelt

Old 10-05-2012, 08:01 PM
GreekChat Member

I've never done a link on GC before, so hopefully this is correct.

AOPi has their list of new members in today's Daily Mississippian.

http://issuu.com/dailymississippian/docs/10.05.2012-small
Old 10-05-2012, 09:00 PM
GreekChat Member

I couldn't get Ginger's link to work... thank you for doing it, though!!

Maybe this one will work? Oct 5 Daily Mississippian

ETA: Ginger's link worked just fine on 2nd try :-} Gotta love computers!

Last edited by thetalady; 10-05-2012 at 09:07 PM.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Who's tailgating today? I am. Baking brownies and cookies.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Did I miss the new member list in the Daily Mississippian for DG?
Old 10-09-2012, 11:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGHawaii View Post
Did I miss the new member list in the Daily Mississippian for DG?
No you didn't miss it. It has still not been published, as of today's newspaper.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:01 PM
GreekChat Member

OK folks, I give up. I don't know why DG's pledge class list was not published in the Daily MIssissippian, but it has been 2 weeks and it has still not been printed. I give up.

There is a somewhat interesting article in today's edition about the lack of diversity in Ole Miss Greek organizations. Considering the number of African American faces that I have seen in NPC groups over the last several years at Ole Miss, I think we are making progress. I do not know if any Caucasian women have tried to enter the process to join an NPHC organization at Ole Miss.

In April 2011, AOPi, AKA, ATO & APhiA had a dinner swap, which sounds like a great idea & opportunity to get to know each other across councils.

http://www.issuu.com/dailymississipp....12.2012-small
Old 10-12-2012, 11:12 PM
GreekChat Member

thetalady. Miss Bracey Harris is our Sister, and she as one of the students interviewed for the article! Bracey represented Theta very well, I thought.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
thetalady. Miss Bracey Harris is our Sister, and she as one of the students interviewed for the article! Bracey represented Theta very well, I thought.
Yes, she certainly did. Very proud!
Old 10-13-2012, 12:41 AM
GreekChat Member

I just looked at several pages of the most recent pictures in the "post your bid day pics" thread. In virtually all of them, there are 0, 1 or 2 black faces among 30-150 white ones from non-Southern schools. In only one photo of a small group did I see more than 10% black members. Ole Miss should not be the only school called out specifically on this issue. If it is true that "Ole Miss had explicit national policies excluding members of color for most of their history, " how do you explain the sea of overwhelmingly white faces at those other schools? This smacks of the pot calling the kettle black, if you'll pardon the pun. The reality is that it's not a Southern thing and it's not an Ole Miss thing. The bid day pictures prove that the "Whites Only" sign is still hanging at schools in the North, South, East and West.
Old 10-13-2012, 01:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fascination View Post
I just looked at several pages of the most recent pictures in the "post your bid day pics" thread. In virtually all of them, there are 0, 1 or 2 black faces among 30-150 white ones from non-Southern schools. In only one photo of a small group did I see more than 10% black members. Ole Miss should not be the only school called out specifically on this issue. If it is true that "Ole Miss had explicit national policies excluding members of color for most of their history, " how do you explain the sea of overwhelmingly white faces at those other schools? This smacks of the pot calling the kettle black, if you'll pardon the pun. The reality is that it's not a Southern thing and it's not an Ole Miss thing. The bid day pictures prove that the "Whites Only" sign is still hanging at schools in the North, South, East and West.
You misquoted LowCSharp. Ole Miss didn't have explicit national policies, "most (all?) of the HW GLOs at Ole Miss had explicit national policies excluding members of color for most of their history." Those are the same organizations that are on other campuses as well.

There are greek systems in Michigan that are as racially mixed as their student population. The most racially integrated greek system I've seen is at the University of Toronto. But, I also know of campuses where the "whites only" sign, as you put it, has been gone for 30 years but the numbers of minorities who go through recruitment is still very small.

I do think there is a "chicken and egg" problem here. I don't know the solution but I think that is a good dialogue to have because I think the segregation perpetuates itself even on campuses where race wouldn't be a barrier to joining any of the NPC groups, from the membership selection perspective. When we read some of the recruitment stories of regulars on GC who went through NPC recruitment as African Americans, we see them describe the attitudes from both sides. Many of them are questioned on why they want to join a "white" sorority instead of a "black" one. And, as the article said, if you don't see people "like you" in the chapters, you may not even consider joining.

I think it is more useful to ask "How do we attract more African Americans to our organizations?" than it is to just say the "whites only" sign is still up. I think that for most chapters, that sign isn't up. Before I could say that for sure, I'd want to see numbers of African American women going through recruitment and being dropped from the process completely. Is that happening? Or are they just not coming through recruitment at all? If it is the former, shame on us. If it is the latter, then how do we change that?
Old 10-13-2012, 09:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
Before I could say that for sure, I'd want to see numbers of African American women going through recruitment and being dropped from the process completely. Is that happening? Or are they just not coming through recruitment at all? If it is the former, shame on us. If it is the latter, then how do we change that?
While I don't have access to official statistics (and I somehow feel that there aren't many on the matter), from my observation at UGA, the lower number of African American girls in NPC sororities is more a product of the number going through recruitment at all than a result of being dropped during the process. In each of the rounds on the first 2 days, where every girl sees every house, there usually only seems to be one or two African American girls. Most of the houses seem to have about one African American girl in each pledge class. Of course, some have none and some have a few, but this is just approximation from casual observation. It seems to me that they have about the same success as the average white PNM, and the disparity is due to lack of African American interest in NPC groups rather than lack of NPC interest in African American members.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Right, but that doesn't eliminate the perception that since chapters are primarily white, they are closed minded to other races. I do think that the more integration there is, the more interest there is from minorities. Just how do we turn that around? It isn't going to change if people just accept the status quo.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaGreek View Post
While I don't have access to official statistics (and I somehow feel that there aren't many on the matter), from my observation at UGA, the lower number of African American girls in NPC sororities is more a product of the number going through recruitment at all than a result of being dropped during the process. In each of the rounds on the first 2 days, where every girl sees every house, there usually only seems to be one or two African American girls. Most of the houses seem to have about one African American girl in each pledge class. Of course, some have none and some have a few, but this is just approximation from casual observation. It seems to me that they have about the same success as the average white PNM, and the disparity is due to lack of African American interest in NPC groups rather than lack of NPC interest in African American members.
The argument is that this is because of historical trends and a feeling that they would not be welcomed if they didn't act "white". As for why this is slower to turn around in the South, duh. Race relations on every front have been slower to change in the South. When I was a chapter member in the 90s in the South, there was NO way we would have bid an African American woman. Am I ashamed of that? Of course. Times change and people change. AOII was handing out bids to women of color across the North a decade earlier...I am friends with an alum sister from the Chicago area that is African Am. from the 80s. She said back then she was one of the only AA women rushing at her large campus then. The South is 20-30 years behind.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 10-13-2012, 12:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
The argument is that this is because of historical trends and a feeling that they would not be welcomed if they didn't act "white".
I think there is also the aspect of having a strong Black community presence on campus, and a PNM might feel like they were abandoning that and isolating themselves from it, and may not be welcomed back into it if they joined an NPC group. By this I mean there isn't only a push away coming from NPC (whether real or only perceived), but also a pull away coming from NPHC, other African-American-centered groups, or the community as a whole.
I think there is a similar phenomenon with most minority groups, in that a major factor in low numbers of minority women is the fear of isolating one's self from that community. While they may or may not feel like they have to "act white" to fit in with an NPC group, others likely perceive them as doing so just because they joined the group, not because of the way they actually act and feel towards their ethnic/cultural group.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:22 AM
GreekChat Member

I am being serious in asking this question, so don't all of you jump down my throat, now. Are there any Caucasian girls in the traditionally Black Greek organizations at Ole Miss? Are they allowed to participate in their recruitment?