GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,279
2 members and 1,277 guests
acg233, Sarak24034

Old 03-04-2005, 06:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Arrow Recomendation letters

I am going to be rushing in the fall'05 as a junior..and i was wondering about rec letters. I was wondering if having recommendation letters would be helpful when rushing? Also I was wondering if having two or more recomendations for a particular sorority would be better? I was also wondering if anyone knew about the greek system at western ky univerisity? I have rushed before..but i was wondering the likleyhood of juniors getting bids and about there "quota" system?

Thanks so much!
Old 03-05-2005, 03:15 AM
GreekChat Member

There are TONS of threads about recs already, including one that lists ladies who are willing to write them for you. Please use the search function.
Basically what it boils down to is that recs are always a good thing and can never hurt you, only help you.
Old 03-05-2005, 06:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
Don't listen if the rush application says that no recs are necessary--they will always help! The application from my school said no recs so I didn't bother getting any...I ended up with my first choice anyway, but thinking back, I probably should have accepted the ones that were offered.
Old 03-11-2005, 08:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ADPi Conniebama
GET REC's!!!! I am from a small school with only 4 sororities and RECS always help. The girls with recs were recognized easier during recruitment.

I got a rec for each sorority even the ones I wasnt interested in. . . . you never know when you go through recruitment what "house" you fit in with the most. . . so if you have a rec for all of them then at least they will know you when you walk through the door.
Old 03-14-2005, 03:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to gpb1874
i'm at a small school and recs don't mean too much. there;s not a lot of legacies or those who have them, so it's no big deal. at other campuses, it's a completely different story - no recs, no bids.

they can be helpful, but it needs to be a good rec. my chapter got one for a girl. the alum knew her parents, but didn't really know her, so she didn't write anything helpful. if you know an alum well who could write a good letter, then go ahead and ask for it.
Old 03-14-2005, 05:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Here's a good thread compiled about all things recruitment as discussed on GC last summer

Here is a list of GC'ers willing to write recommendations AND/OR assist you with finding a recommender in your area to write you a rec: http://forums.greekchat.com/gcforums...threadid=48462

Recommendations are always helpful. In some sororities, recs carry more weight than in others, and it doesn't hurt to be prepared! If you don't know your recommenders personally-- an alumna through your hometown's Alumnae Panhellenic is assisting you, a GC'er or friend-of-a-friend, than one rec per sorority is sufficient.

I don't know about your university Greek System, but I do advise you to call the Office of Greek Life (or if there isn't one, than to call the Office of Student Activities) to request figures on the number of juniors placed in recruitment last year out of those rushing, as well as freshman, sophs, and seniors.

Ask them their advice for a junior transfer coming into recruitment, what to expect, wear and general advice on Greek Life at your new university. Picking up the phone and speaking one-on-one guarantees a more intimate experience and perspective than cold emailing.

Good luck with recruitment and call the university today! You may not have as competitive a recruitment as an underclassman, but then again, depending on you and your campus, you might have a very competitive recruitment. Regardless of what year you are in school, remember that recruitment is a weeklong interview, and a subjective process of mutual selection by both you and the sororities. They're looking for members that mesh well with their chapter culture, and you're looking for a place you will fit in well with.

Plan to get involved with a club on campus regardless of whether you join a sorority and remember that being cut from chapters in recruitment is part of the recruitment process (it will be the same way once you are out of school-- not every employer you interview with will offer you a job, no matter how great you are!). Spend this time prior to the fall getting good grades, doing community service, meeting people, securing recommendations, going through your wardrobe to select appropriate attire, practicing interview-type questions/responses, researching the chapters at your school and getting acclimated to your new university.

Last edited by adpiucf; 03-14-2005 at 05:51 PM.
Old 03-15-2005, 10:20 AM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
Knowing what school you'll be going through recruitment at would be helpful to know if recs are needed. But understandable if you don't want to divulge that info.
Old 03-15-2005, 12:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Recomendation letters

Quote:
Originally posted by redlady04
I am going to be rushing in the fall'05 as a junior..and i was wondering about rec letters. I was wondering if having recommendation letters would be helpful when rushing? Also I was wondering if having two or more recomendations for a particular sorority would be better? I was also wondering if anyone knew about the greek system at western ky univerisity? I have rushed before..but i was wondering the likleyhood of juniors getting bids and about there "quota" system?

redlady indicated in her post that she is going through at Western Kentucky

Panhellenic Chapters

Alpha Delta Pi
Alpha Gamma Delta
Alpha Omicron Pi
Ceres
Chi Omega
Kappa Delta
Phi Mu
Sigma Kappa

Alpha Kappa Alpha
Delta Sigma Theta

Panhellenic Rush » August 24-28, 2005:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
August 24 - Getting to know you (night one)
August 25 - Getting to know you (night two)
August 26 - Theme night
August 27 - Preference night
August 28 - Bid day

The recruitment application is a PDF available online

If you have any questions about Greek Life at Western Kentucky University, please call the Office of Student Activities and Organizations at 270-745-2459. That # gets you to the office associate.

There are alumnae panhellenics in Louisville and Owensboro, KY and Nashville, TN that may be abe to help you.

Western Kentucky University is located in Bowling Green, Kentucky, a city with a population of 50,000, and located approximately 110 miles south of Louisville and 65 miles north of Nashville, Tennessee.
Old 03-15-2005, 02:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlphaGamAlie
Redlady,
Are you going through recruitment as a transfer student? I personally think that if you are coming in as a transfer student, who has never had an opportunity to go through recruitment, you may have a better chance of having a competitve recruiment than someone who has been at the school 2 years and just now decided to go through recruitment. But in all honesty, as long as you honestly want to be in a sorority for the right reasons,and you are enthusiastic throughout rush (play up the positive- what you've been involved with, what you look forward to doing in the sorority, etc), you should be able to get into a house that you will mesh well with. I say this about honest and enthusiam beacuse I had had PNM one year who was a junior, and she informed me that she was only going through rush because "being in a sorority will look good on my resume" Just make sure you are going through recruitment for the right reasons, and let thsoe reasons show. Oh, and rec letters definatley help.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to FirstAndFinest
This may be a stupid question, but... Do guys need recs for fraternity recruitment????

My (male) cousin will be a freshman at James Madison University in the Fall. I'm a big proponent of the Greek system (duh!) and I think he would be a great asset to any organization. I'd like to hook him up with recs - IF that's what guys do, too.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FirstAndFinest
This may be a stupid question, but... Do guys need recs for fraternity recruitment????

My (male) cousin will be a freshman at James Madison University in the Fall. I'm a big proponent of the Greek system (duh!) and I think he would be a great asset to any organization. I'd like to hook him up with recs - IF that's what guys do, too.
*Generally speaking* men do not need recommendations for fraternity rush. However, having a recommendation or a letter of introduction may help. (Shouldn't hurt.)

Many chapter's websites - as well as inter/national HQ's websites - have information regarding recruitment. Not only who to contact if interested, but often, an on-line introduction forum that anyone - from the potential new member to legacies - may fill out as well.

My suggestion is for your cousin to check out the James Madison IFC site and then go to each chapter's website and follow their suggestions regarding recruitment. If there isn't any specific information regarding recommendations/letters of introduction/on-line forums to fill out, then go to the inter/national website. As well as the JMU Greek Life Office.

On a more specific level, if there is a particular JMU chapter your cousin is interested in, then again having a recommendation letter sent may help. These are best sent by a member who knows the man rather well. Or at least his reputation. i.e. "I am close personal friends with Mr. So-n-So's family. Mr. Son-n-So was class president, class valedictorian, most popular, lettered in every sport, is a super model and saved the world from nuclear meltdown. He may be worth a look."
Old 05-10-2005, 08:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to FirstAndFinest
Thank you, TSteven!!