GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Beta > Beta Theta Pi

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,038
2 members and 1,036 guests
AOIIalum, zsamulpitt5293

Old 02-16-2012, 08:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Starting a Colony

I am a recently transferred Junior at California State University, Chico. I have been interested in Beta Theta Pi for a few years now, and have recently participated in the Rush Process here at my school. After having met all of the leaders and quite a few members of the current Fraternities here at Chico, I realized that the experience that I was looking to find through a Brotherhood is not truly offered by any of the Fraternities on my campus. I have not always been interested in Greek Life, but I have several friends who graduated before me that got me interested in the growth and opportunities that a Fraternity can offer me. When looking at different Fraternities I was first drawn to Beta, to be honest, because it is a Singing Fraternity. I was, however ultimately intrigued by the philosophy of Beta and it's emphasis using principle as a basis for learning and leading Brother's lives after they leave the Fraternity.
As I went through the Rush process a few weeks ago, I ultimately came to the conclusion that I was conforming to the idea of what I thought a member of a fraternity should be, and I was not being true to myself. The culture that I have seen through many Beta chapters is one that I feel like a Young Man can be himself without fear of ridicule or discrimination. As a Theater Major I have learned to be a great communicator, and to deal with all types of people. I was struck by my time in the rush process here at Chico, is that the culture of Fraternity here, is one that thrives on exclusion. It is my feeling that Brotherhood should be an experience that thrives on the differences that each Brother brings to the experience. If we, as members of a fraternity are expected to learn and grow, how can we only accept those that fit our own mold? Would this not impede our process of Learning and Growing as men of Principle?
I am interested in bringing the inclusion and culture that I have seen in many chapter of Beta to Chico. I am currently talking to a few Young Men who I believe would be interested in bringing this change about as well. However, I wanted to see what the process of starting a colony would involve.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustplainEric View Post
I am a recently transferred Junior at California State University, Chico. I have been interested in Beta Theta Pi for a few years now, and have recently participated in the Rush Process here at my school. After having met all of the leaders and quite a few members of the current Fraternities here at Chico, I realized that the experience that I was looking to find through a Brotherhood is not truly offered by any of the Fraternities on my campus. I have not always been interested in Greek Life, but I have several friends who graduated before me that got me interested in the growth and opportunities that a Fraternity can offer me. When looking at different Fraternities I was first drawn to Beta, to be honest, because it is a Singing Fraternity. I was, however ultimately intrigued by the philosophy of Beta and it's emphasis using principle as a basis for learning and leading Brother's lives after they leave the Fraternity.
As I went through the Rush process a few weeks ago, I ultimately came to the conclusion that I was conforming to the idea of what I thought a member of a fraternity should be, and I was not being true to myself. The culture that I have seen through many Beta chapters is one that I feel like a Young Man can be himself without fear of ridicule or discrimination. As a Theater Major I have learned to be a great communicator, and to deal with all types of people. I was struck by my time in the rush process here at Chico, is that the culture of Fraternity here, is one that thrives on exclusion. It is my feeling that Brotherhood should be an experience that thrives on the differences that each Brother brings to the experience. If we, as members of a fraternity are expected to learn and grow, how can we only accept those that fit our own mold? Would this not impede our process of Learning and Growing as men of Principle?
I am interested in bringing the inclusion and culture that I have seen in many chapter of Beta to Chico. I am currently talking to a few Young Men who I believe would be interested in bringing this change about as well. However, I wanted to see what the process of starting a colony would involve.
Go to Beta Theta Pi's website.

You say that you didn't think that brotherhood existed in the current fraternities. Bringing a new fraternity to campus doesn't bring new people to campus -- the same people currently rushing will be rushing if Beta Theta Pi comes to your school. Just something to keep in mind.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Also seeing if the school was open to expansion would be a good start as well.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
Go to Beta Theta Pi's website.

You say that you didn't think that brotherhood existed in the current fraternities. Bringing a new fraternity to campus doesn't bring new people to campus -- the same people currently rushing will be rushing if Beta Theta Pi comes to your school. Just something to keep in mind.
I said I did not find what I was looking for out of Brotherhood. I have also talked to several other people who rushed who felt the same. I am not saying Brotherhood doesn't exist on this campus, it certainly does, but what I was looking for out of MY fraternity experience was not available in any of the current Fraternities offered.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
Also seeing if the school was open to expansion would be a good start as well.
Thanks! I have already done that, but the help is appreciated!
Old 02-17-2012, 01:57 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't too often worry about men and unicorns pooping rainbows, but I think you have an unrealistic idea of what a college fraternity is or will be at this school. You can give it a shot with a colony, but I would also suggest going back to those houses you thought weren't what you wanted and give them another chance, while being yourself.

And your perception of Beta is admirable, but just to be clear, chapters vary greatly. I'm sure there are Beta chapters that are dorks who can barely keep on campus and ones where they are huge d-bags living every negative stereotype of fraternity. This is not meant to insult Beta because this is true of every fraternity - there is no BEST fraternity out there from coast to coast. They all have admirable chapters and less admirable ones. And this is true of the ones you checked out already. As a junior, you might look at their national/alumni programs because since your undergrad life is on the wane, that part of the fraternity is going to become much more important in the near future.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustplainEric View Post
I said I did not find what I was looking for out of Brotherhood. I have also talked to several other people who rushed who felt the same. I am not saying Brotherhood doesn't exist on this campus, it certainly does, but what I was looking for out of MY fraternity experience was not available in any of the current Fraternities offered.
So what will change on your campus if Beta Theta Pi decides to colonize?

As I said earlier, even if the national organization seemingly has all of the qualities you think you're looking for, the local chapter will still be made up of people on your campus. There likely won't be a massive paradigm shift just because a new GLO enters the scene.