GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,240
3 members and 2,237 guests
Cookiez17, Pinkmagnolia921

Old 03-20-2015, 07:56 AM
GreekChat Member

A Controversial Shirt

This was posted yesterday to the twitter page of the Zeta-Phi Zeta Chapter of Lambda Chi Alpha Fraternity at the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga:

https://twitter.com/LambdaChiUTC/sta...81493091573760
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-20-2015, 08:35 AM
GreekChat Member

What did the original shirts say/look like?
Old 03-20-2015, 09:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen's Revenge View Post
What did the original shirts say/look like?
Here's a link.

"The shirt in question includes the phrase "history repeats itself" and a picture of a cotton plant."

Lovely.

PS Now let's have a repeat of the "this is offensive/no it's not" debate. No, let's NOT. As Andrew Jackson said "sometimes one man with courage is a majority."

ETA: what's next? Yellow Star of David? Swastika? I'm absolutely sickened. Sen, there are links at the bottom of the story I linked to that show the shirt and Lambda Chi's response.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity

Last edited by AZTheta; 03-20-2015 at 09:11 AM.
Old 03-20-2015, 10:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
In a statement, the fraternity's president said "It was a misunderstanding. It was a popular clothing brand we pulled off the internet and we had no intent to offend anyone."
http://www.newschannel9.com/news/top...ts-15854.shtml

Old 03-20-2015, 11:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Well if they pulled the shirt off the clothing brand's site, there's a little thing called copyright infringement, for starters.

I used to fight all the time with collegiates who didn't see the harm in lifting (for example) the Tiffany font, colors, etc, for their t-shirts. Stealing someone's brand is not smart.

I'm not going to make it to the end of Lent. I've passed annoyance, I'm into fury.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 03-20-2015, 02:17 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm not finding the logo on the brand website.
Old 03-20-2015, 03:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
Here's a link.

"The shirt in question includes the phrase "history repeats itself" and a picture of a cotton plant."

Lovely.

PS Now let's have a repeat of the "this is offensive/no it's not" debate. No, let's NOT. As Andrew Jackson said "sometimes one man with courage is a majority."

ETA: what's next? Yellow Star of David? Swastika? I'm absolutely sickened. Sen, there are links at the bottom of the story I linked to that show the shirt and Lambda Chi's response.
The difference between this and what I assume is the debate you are referencing is that there is no way a reasonable person would not find this offensive, given the direct and obvious correlation to be drawn between the phrase and the picture.

Old 03-20-2015, 03:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
The difference between this and what I assume is the debate you are referencing is that there is no way a reasonable person would not find this offensive, given the direct and obvious correlation to be drawn between the phrase and the picture.
Of course. How many shades of stupid can you be?!!!!

Chi Omega
Old 03-20-2015, 04:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
I will take a step back, because I have reflected on what you said. Thank you for your input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1964Alum View Post
Of course. How many shades of stupid can you be?!!!!
Excuse me? Did you mean this to sound as rude as it does? I mean, honestly, it comes across to me as being really sarcastic and a put down. I hope I am mistaken.

ETA: maybe you didn't mean Belle was stupid, I must really apologize if that was what you meant. Allergy medication = fuzzy thinking.

ETA: I'm happy that I was wrong in my interpretation. See below!

Last edited by AZTheta; 03-20-2015 at 07:48 PM.
Old 03-20-2015, 05:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh, no. So sorry for the confusion. What I meant was how stupid could these young men be to think that the offensive shirt would be taken any other way.

Allergies here for me as well!

Chi Omega
Old 03-20-2015, 07:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Here's a UTC Mocs News report on the t-shirt.

https://youtu.be/VK8MxmBQK-4

As most of you know, yes, I am an alum from that same chapter but I do not serve on any of the advisory boards for the chapter but am a former Alumni Control Board member for another chapter. I had to go on hiatus in helping that other chapter after the passing of my father last year.

I had no qualms this morning posting the link to the initial press release but I thank the researchers in finding further information from our local media. As I was getting ready for work this morning, I only had time to make that first post.