GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 946
0 members and 946 guests
No Members online

Old 04-01-2010, 11:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Arrow Need Advice

Last edited by tweety721; 05-24-2010 at 05:30 AM.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweety721 View Post
Hey everyone! This is my first time posting on here and I need some advice. I am supposed to be a junior, but I will be graduating a year later (technically I will be a second semester sophomore when I go through fall 2010 rush). I started college in fall 2008 and had to withdraw from all of my classes and be hospitalized because I had anorexia nervosa. After that I did mostly online classes through both the university and the community college and lived at home up until this semester.

Now I am really strong in my recovery and am really regretting these past couple of years because I feel like I've missed out on a lot. I really would like to turn that around though, and I think that rushing (and possibly being in a sorority) would be a good experience. I really want to get more involved with my school and the community and make new friends.

I have only gotten one B so far (but I'll probably get another one in ochem this semester) and am in Phi Eta Sigma and the self defense club. I also had a job at the university medical center before I had to withdraw and have done a lot of volunteer work. I also took dance for most of my life and was a cheerleader in high school and middle school. My mom and aunt also know a lot of people that could write recs for me. So I think that everything else is good except for all the stuff that happened because of my anorexia and I have a few questions about that---

-Will the sororities be able to see that I had to withdraw from all my classes and that I barely did anything the following spring? How should I explain that? My mom said to just say that I wasn't sure about what I wanted to do so I decided to not waste my time and money and come back when I had figured it out.. but I don't think that sounds very good. :/ I'm thinking of maybe saying I had a medical problem, but not saying anything about anorexia. I did have a few side problems from anorexia like kidney and heart problems that are better now, so should I just say something like that if they ask?

-Will it look bad that I lived at home for so long and that I did a lot of online classes?

-I haven't really met a lot of the girls that are currently in sororities, but the ones that I have met have been really nice. Will it be weird that I will be 20 and none of them know me very well yet? (I am going to a frat formal tomorrow night so I hope to meet more there)

Oh and also I go to the University of Arizona. Does anyone know how hard it is to get into one there (especially for people that are 20)? I'm going to rush anyway because it seems fun and I'd like to see if it's right for me, but I'd kind of like to know what to expect.

I'm soo sorry this was so long! But thank you so much and I'll really appreciate any responses.
If you are an upperclassman, it's good for you to be getting to know sorority women now. I tend to think that freshmen have the advantage at UA.

I don't know how much about your academic backround they'll be able to see. I think the GPA is the most important part.

Threads about UA:

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...hlight=Arizona

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 04-01-2010 at 11:28 PM.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:45 PM
GreekChat Member

I know this won't be great news for you but you need to be prepared. Arizona has one of the most competitive rushes outside of the SEC. It's very very very difficult for girls other than freshmen to get bids from most houses, no matter what their circumstances. Also, recommendations are definitely needed and you are already behind with that. Make sure you know how you will handle the very strong possibility of rejection beforehand and be prepared for the worst. Arizona is also open for expansion since one of the chapters closed recently. I don't know how long that whole process takes but from reading here I do know that colonies take new members in all class levels so that could be a possible future option for you.
Old 04-02-2010, 02:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks so much to both of you! That's really disappointing that it's so competitive, but thanks for being honest with me. Both my mom and aunt know a lot of sorority alumni. How many recommendations should I get? Should I try to get all the sororities that I can since I'm not even sure which one I'd want to be in yet? Do they just mail them to the house? Thanks again! I really appreciate it.
Old 04-02-2010, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweety721 View Post
Thanks so much to both of you! That's really disappointing that it's so competitive, but thanks for being honest with me. Both my mom and aunt know a lot of sorority alumni. How many recommendations should I get? Should I try to get all the sororities that I can since I'm not even sure which one I'd want to be in yet? Do they just mail them to the house? Thanks again! I really appreciate it.
You should get a recommendation for every chapter represented on the U of A campus. Sorority alumnae should know where a reference is sent. If they do not, they can inquire with their HQ. I wouldnt think sending a recommendation to the chapter itself/house would be a problem, but different chapters have their own ways of handling recommendations.