GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,012
0 members and 1,012 guests
No Members online

Old 11-17-2019, 12:00 AM
Super Moderator

Article Suggesting the Rise in Hazing

Caveat: I haven't yet read this article, and frankly, it's too late tonight for me to start tonight. I'm posting it only because when I wait, the article seem to disappear.

An expert in fraternity hazing deaths says coddling parents are part of the problem

"Five young men have died in incidents that appear to be connected to fraternities at colleges across the country so far this fall.
Hank Nuwer, a journalist who has been compiling a database on fraternity deaths for decades, believes over-indulgent parents are partly to blame for a recent uptick in dangerous behavior.
"Parents want to show their love by giving everything — everything but old-fashioned lessons in self-restraint," he told Insider...."

Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-17-2019, 04:18 AM

Weird take on it, but then he is full of weird takes on things.
Old 11-17-2019, 04:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Not much article. A few quotes, and that was it. I'm not sure many people would agree with the conclusion based on this article alone.
Old 11-17-2019, 08:42 AM
GreekChat Member

USC alone has 9 student deaths this semester. None Greek related. Overdoses and suicides seem to be primarily cause.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/14/us/ca...ths/index.html

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...misinformation
Old 11-17-2019, 11:12 AM
GreekChat Member

The article doesn't even really seem to address hazing, nor does it have any real direction or show appropriate correlation in its examples (e.g. the college admissions scandal?). It actually seems more focused on alcohol, and I think this might sum up a huge part of the problem:

Quote:
Hank Nuwer, a journalism professor at Franklin College, has kept a*database*on fraternity-related deaths dating back to the 1800s.

It shows a pattern of alcohol becoming a problem at fraternities in the 1960s and 1970s, when states started raising the drinking age to 21.

And lately Nuwer has seen a similar trend emerge, which he thinks may have to do with how today's college students were raised. He said he discussed what's behind the recent uptick with one of his college classes.

"I asked my students in an 18-student first-year sports issues class that question today. One said, 'We have too many people today who have not been taught limits. They think all will be fun and not any bad circumstances.' I concur," Nuwer told Insider.
But the thinking that "nothing bad will happen to me" has been a thing, both on and off college campuses, since the dawn of time.

@~/~~~~
Old 02-02-2020, 09:38 AM
GreekChat Member

I think it's hopping on the bandwagon of the general view of millenials and post-millenials that is so prevalent now. Sure, many stereotypes may come with a grain of truth to them, but it's a stretch to make it the basis of a general view on campus deaths. I'm sure the media loves it though.
Old 02-02-2020, 04:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Well on looking at the giant hazing death database on wikipedia, for the 2010's we got
2010-2
2011-2 (one was non greek)
2012-4
2013-2
2014-4
2015-0
2016-2 (one non greek)
2017-3 (one being the big Tim Piazza case and the other being the Andrew Coffey case)
2018-1
2019-2

Here's the thing; these are just deaths. None of them are counting the other incidents that have occurred across campus. It just sucks that people are still dumb enough to haze pledges, which leads to the negative cycle on greek life stereotypes.

Since 1888

If I can get a bid so can you; a longer recruitment story
Old 02-03-2020, 01:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiez17 View Post
Well on looking at the giant hazing death database on wikipedia, for the 2010's we got
2010-2
2011-2 (one was non greek)
2012-4
2013-2
2014-4
2015-0
2016-2 (one non greek)
2017-3 (one being the big Tim Piazza case and the other being the Andrew Coffey case)
2018-1
2019-2

Here's the thing; these are just deaths. None of them are counting the other incidents that have occurred across campus. It just sucks that people are still dumb enough to haze pledges, which leads to the negative cycle on greek life stereotypes.
I think there is only about an 80% chance that the second of the 2019 cases (Dylan Hernandez) will ultimately stick on the list for the situation as of two weeks ago. https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...ylan-hernandez
Old 02-04-2020, 02:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
I think there is only about an 80% chance that the second of the 2019 cases (Dylan Hernandez) will ultimately stick on the list for the situation as of two weeks ago. https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...ylan-hernandez
Yeah they're usually quick to update on those (the list goes back to the 1900's!) I'm just gonna hope we get a year where this happens, it's always a tragedy.

Since 1888

If I can get a bid so can you; a longer recruitment story
Old 02-04-2020, 03:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiez17 View Post
Yeah they're usually quick to update on those (the list goes back to the 1900's!) I'm just gonna hope we get a year where this happens, it's always a tragedy.
I'm an experienced wikipedian, that one is just on the edge of keeping, IMO. But I want to see what coverage the continuing investigation goes.