GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,413
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, LarryByday
» Online Users: 637
2 members and 635 guests
davidsholzeo679, Xidelt

Old 03-27-2003, 08:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Following rules, policies, guidelines, directions, directives: Is it THAT hard to do?

SFs, if one cannot follow directions/directives on a simple message board, do you think that one will be able to follow directions or directives from the National Leadership of an organization?

When I see people getting bent out of shape behind the simplest matters (b/c they did not follow directions as an example), I think well if you were my Soror (for example) would you carryout the policies, procedures, or directives established by our leadership nationally and/ or locally?

Sometimes situations on these message boards are a small indication of actual life. Sometimes, it gets a little scary to know that these people are trying to come through or have gotten through. (shaking my head)
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-27-2003, 11:13 PM
GreekChat Member

It's funny, Soror, cuz I ask my students this ALL the time. Why is it THAT hard to simply follow directions??? *sigh* Whatever, I guess. But you bring up an excellent point. Behavior prior to being granted membership is a HUGE indication of behavior after being granted membership. And what people don't realize it that the SMALLEST things can tell A LOT about one's personality.
Old 03-28-2003, 12:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ideal08
I ask my students this ALL the time. Why is it THAT hard to simply follow directions??? *sigh*
This is a DAILY question in my class.

Anyway, I can speak for myself and some of the other SERIOUS and DEDICATED SFs on the board. We REALLY do appreciate this forum. The funny thing about it is that even though, according to the Ps.O.W., we do not discuss issues pertaining to membership, etc., I have learned a lot indirectly and I am sure that other SFs have as well.

I think that part of the problem lies in the fact that the Internet gives some people a sense of anonymity. The bold things that people say on the Internet would never come out of their mouths in person. And, like 2D said, it's scary for some SFs that others are like that. I mean, some of us are trying HARD to reach our goals, while others are acting crazy, cussing folks out on the boards, etc. and they may be the ones to "make it." Since those of us are not that computer savvy, we have no way of knowing that it's someone that we see everyday that is acting a fool. Then what? Some people are truly like that, while others just do and say things to ruffle a few feathers. That just shows their LAMENESS and lack of better things to do!
Old 03-28-2003, 02:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Following rules, policies, guidelines, directions, directives: Is it THAT hard to do?

to answer your question--NOPE. the simplest tasks sometimes provide the biggest life lessons. folks have to learn the hard way, i know i did.

Quote:
Originally posted by AKA2D '91
SFs, if one cannot follow directions/directives on a simple message board, do you think that one will be able to follow directions or directives from the National Leadership of an organization?

When I see people getting bent out of shape behind the simplest matters (b/c they did not follow directions as an example), I think well if you were my Soror (for example) would you carryout the policies, procedures, or directives established by our leadership nationally and/ or locally?

Sometimes situations on these message boards are a small indication of actual life. Sometimes, it gets a little scary to know that these people are trying to come through or have gotten through. (shaking my head)
Old 07-27-2003, 11:54 PM
GreekChat Member

ttt
Old 07-28-2003, 12:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Free and nearly 53 in San Diego and Lake Forest, CA
Send a message via AIM to Steeltrap Send a message via Yahoo to Steeltrap
Post It is scary

That you see people in this forum and other D-9 forums who aren't able or willing to follow rules. It's clearly posted. GC, at least much of the D-9 portions, isn't an unmoderated place. If you want to fly off the handle, please remove yourself and go someplace else.

One would think that people who are in college or about to enter college are able to do that without sassing back. I mean, when I was in college back in the 1980s, I wouldn't do that, but the Internet hadn't yet been commercialized.

I, too, wonder what would happen if any of these individuals were somehow granted membership. Considering that I follow my organization's rules, I would have major issues with some scatty person who can't follow rules, policies, guidelines, directions and directives.

Also, as other posters have said, I think the Internet does cause people to get more gonad because they think nobody can find out who they are. Believe me, you can trace a person's ISP, etc.
Old 07-28-2003, 01:54 PM

Send a message via AIM to DEvynSince84
Quote:
Originally posted by RedefinedDiva
This is a DAILY question in my class.

Anyway, I can speak for myself and some of the other SERIOUS and DEDICATED SFs on the board. We REALLY do appreciate this forum. The funny thing about it is that even though, according to the Ps.O.W., we do not discuss issues pertaining to membership, etc., I have learned a lot indirectly and I am sure that other SFs have as well.

I think that part of the problem lies in the fact that the Internet gives some people a sense of anonymity. The bold things that people say on the Internet would never come out of their mouths in person. And, like 2D said, it's scary for some SFs that others are like that. I mean, some of us are trying HARD to reach our goals, while others are acting crazy, cussing folks out on the boards, etc. and they may be the ones to "make it." Since those of us are not that computer savvy, we have no way of knowing that it's someone that we see everyday that is acting a fool. Then what? Some people are truly like that, while others just do and say things to ruffle a few feathers. That just shows their LAMENESS and lack of better things to do!
I Totally agree with RedefindedDiva...
I have only been posting for a few days now, but while I observed the forum, I was impressed with the relationships I noticed between members and Serious SFs and in the same token surprised at how rude, demanding and boisterous quite a few young ladies have been. I have also learned quite a bit in these three days just reading posts and paying close attention to what members have to say and thier opinions on topics and the many actions of SFs ( Steeltrap, I replyed to your reply, sorry, I get a little TO passionate about discussions.) Ever since I started my quest for AKA, I was always told by my mentor and other members to be humble. How can you expect to get ANYTHING from ANYONE by demanding, as if you are entitled to it? In my opinion NO, young ladies who are exemplar of not following rules, regulations, directions and/or directives, will not be any different if granted membership. In my opinion, the cockyness and arrogance would overflow if any of these women, were admitted into this great sisterhood. It is scary to me also. They would represent the first and finest organization for African American women and what it stands for in all the wrong ways....but that is just my opinion.