GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 2,135
3 members and 2,132 guests
3DGator, zashlytopo8836

Old 10-09-2006, 11:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for your answers. I understand the situations where someone is crazy, disrespectful, bitchy, joined for the wrong reasons, etc. and leaves in bad standing. There are a plethora of valid reasons for wanting memorabilia, letters, and badge back in those situations.

However, a person who isn't able to support the sorority financially for her time in college is no longer considered a member? I'm just not grasping this. It's possible that all chapters and national organizations provide plans for girls with financial troubles, in which case I'm making up an inconceivable situation. If so please tell me.
If someone were to leave a sorority purely and 100% for financial reasons, then she is no longer a member? Can she obtain alumna status without transferring, graduating, or dropping out? I just don't see that as a situation where someone would be disrespecting the promises she made to the sorority. Can't she be a member of the national organization without currently contributing financially to the local chapter?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-09-2006, 11:58 AM

My chapter has done individualized payment plans for girls with financial issues. I know that with my chapter, if a girl terminates for financial reeasons, it's usually after a prolonged period of the chapter trying to help her and doing all that we can, and it comes to a point where we need the money and we've tried everything to help and she just can't afford it. It's never "Oh you missed ONE payment of dues this semester? You're out of here."

It really doesn't matter WHY a woman terminates her membership. She could do so because she hates us all or because she loves the sorority to death, but just can't afford it. The point is, that our letters are for members only. Once you sign the paperwork, for WHATEVER reason, you are no longer a member, and you do not have the privilege of wearing them. I'm not trying to snark, but that's just how it goes.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 10-09-2006 at 12:05 PM.
Old 10-09-2006, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDIfly View Post
However, a person who isn't able to support the sorority financially for her time in college is no longer considered a member? I'm just not grasping this. It's possible that all chapters and national organizations provide plans for girls with financial troubles, in which case I'm making up an inconceivable situation. If so please tell me.
If someone were to leave a sorority purely and 100% for financial reasons, then she is no longer a member? Can she obtain alumna status without transferring, graduating, or dropping out? I just don't see that as a situation where someone would be disrespecting the promises she made to the sorority. Can't she be a member of the national organization without currently contributing financially to the local chapter?
If someone runs into unforeseen financial troubles (i.e. her dad loses his job with no warning or something similar) most sororities will attempt to help her with a payment plan, and some groups will allow her to be on a special status where she has to pay less, or become an alumna earlier. If she becomes an alumna, she can no longer participate in day to day collegiate chapter activities, but she is still a sister. These type of policies are all varied from sorority to sorority.

But sometimes they just don't have the money for dues and - this is the important thing - don't wish to work to find a way to obtain it or get on a payment plan. I'm sure most chapters would rather have a woman be honest and tell them that XYZ just isn't important enough to them to fork out the money for dues and leave on relatively good terms, then keep saying she reeeeaallly wants to pay and participate and never follows through.
Old 10-09-2006, 12:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
If someone runs into unforeseen financial troubles (i.e. her dad loses his job with no warning or something similar) most sororities will attempt to help her with a payment plan, and some groups will allow her to be on a special status where she has to pay less, or become an alumna earlier. If she becomes an alumna, she can no longer participate in day to day collegiate chapter activities, but she is still a sister. These type of policies are all varied from sorority to sorority.

But sometimes they just don't have the money for dues and - this is the important thing - don't wish to work to find a way to obtain it or get on a payment plan. I'm sure most chapters would rather have a woman be honest and tell them that XYZ just isn't important enough to them to fork out the money for dues and leave on relatively good terms, then keep saying she reeeeaallly wants to pay and participate and never follows through.
What you said is exactly right. There's people with legitimate financial issues. But then there are people where mommy and daddy decided not to pay for the sorority anymore, and they don't want to a) get a job or b) drop their Louis Vuitton/high bar tabs/designer jeans habits. Those people I had little to no sympathy for.
Old 10-09-2006, 12:44 PM
GreekChat Member

A couple of years ago a girl in Kappa at my school was on financial aid. Her family had a lot of financial problems, I think one of her parents lost his/her job. The girl couldn't afford tuition and housing even with the financial aid, let alone dues. The Kappas got together and helped to pay her dues. In addition, through a fund with KKG HQ, the sorority was able to help pay some of her college costs for that semester. One of our alumnae told us this at an alumnae reunion. It happened when she was an active. I think that this is an awesome story and shows the meaning of sisterhood.
Old 10-09-2006, 12:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post

That makes sense! Thank you!

KLPDaisy, that is an awesome story. Really uplifting!
Old 10-09-2006, 01:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
Oddly enough, whenever sisters have dropped out of my sorority here, we've never had a problem with this. Mostly the letters are just given to littles/bigs. Members get a lot of letters through hand-me-downs, very few are bought, so it isn't that big of a deal I suppose. But we've never had anyone represent themselves as a member when they are not.
Old 10-09-2006, 01:03 PM
#3 Tsunami

All I Got To Say. Is If You Denounce. Don't Let Me Catch You In The Streets Rocking My Letters...
Or Imma Have To Get The Baby Powder & Acid!!!!
Old 10-09-2006, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator

landlords expect one to pay rent, toyota expects one to make their car payments. if a student could not pay their tuition, they would no longer be considered a student at that college and would not be allowed to attend classes or receive grades-if a student is a member of the marching band, but does not attend practices, they will not be allowed to keep their membership in the band, if a student is a senator in sga, but does not attend sga meetings, they will not be allowed to continue to hold their office-why should a fraternity or sorority be any different?

now if the student has an extraordinary situation that kept them from paying their tuition, or attending band practice or sga meetings, accomodation will be made. the same is true of a sorority or fraternity member with an extraordinary situation-the sorority or fraternity will try to work with the member.
Old 10-09-2006, 04:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kddani View Post
What you said is exactly right. There's people with legitimate financial issues. But then there are people where mommy and daddy decided not to pay for the sorority anymore, and they don't want to a) get a job or b) drop their Louis Vuitton/high bar tabs/designer jeans habits. Those people I had little to no sympathy for.

Agree whole heartedly.

There is a difference between the two.

Can or does Sororitys place members on Alum status for financial problems as opposed to just dropping them from the rolls?

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 10-09-2006, 05:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Earp View Post

Can or does Sororitys place members on Alum status for financial problems as opposed to just dropping them from the rolls?
Tom, this question has already been answered:

"If someone runs into unforeseen financial troubles (i.e. her dad loses his job with no warning or something similar) most sororities will attempt to help her with a payment plan, and some groups will allow her to be on a special status where she has to pay less, or become an alumna earlier. If she becomes an alumna, she can no longer participate in day to day collegiate chapter activities, but she is still a sister. These type of policies are all varied from sorority to sorority."

Are you asking which sororities do this? I think this is a policy issue that is really only relevant to members of each organization and I am sure individual members can find the answer as it applies to them through their organization.
Old 10-09-2006, 05:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
why should a fraternity or sorority be any different?
Because fraternities and sororities, unlike a landlord, a college, a member of the marching band, etc. offer lifetime membership.

As people have mentioned, this lifetime membership is contingent on the keeping of promises made at initiation and if a girl specifically betrays the sorority by going against the sorority's ideals and the promises she made in initiation, then stripping her of her membership is totally understandable. I've never been through a ritual, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't imagine that a solemn and serious ceremony requires the initiate to promise that she will pay $400 or whatever a semester for the rest of her time in college. Implicitly, maybe, but I doubt founders had it in mind that girls would be stripped of their letters if they were unable to pay dues.

33girl provided me with an excellent answer. I can understand the difference between a girl who CAN'T pay and a girl who doesn't want to work hard enough to pay. And the differences with how you handle those situations. But given the differences between all of your examples and the nature of GLO's, I don't think it was a very good analogy. My major confusion was with how limited the idea of "lifetime membership" actually is when you get down to brass tacks.
Old 10-09-2006, 05:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Most organizations have requirements that a member be in good standing, which usually includes following that organization's policies, which usually include paying dues. Those requirements may or may not be spelled out explicitly in the ritual but they are almost always fully explained to the member prior to initiation.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:46 PM
GreekChat Member

During recruitment at my school, we handed out financial information to each PNM just so it was clear to them that sororities do cost money. It is great that chapters offer payment plans, scholarships, or whatever else to help women pay, but no matter the help, some women will not be able to afford it. It is unfortunate, and a topic no one likes to address during rush, but I wish everyone would be more honest about it because it is very hard for women to have to depledge/turn alumna/give up membership for that reason. I saw it happen a lot on my campus.

It costs money to operate a house and feed everyone, send dues to HQ, host socials and formals, and whatever else the chapter wants to do throughout the year. The only way those things get paid is from member dues. When dues don't get paid, the entire chapter suffers.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:09 PM
Super Moderator

i believe that most if not all panhellenics either share the financial information of sorority membership during the recruitment info. session, or each chapter shares the financial requirements at some point during the recruitment process. women joining npc sororities have a very good idea of the costs before they sign their bid card.

Last edited by FSUZeta; 10-09-2006 at 10:12 PM.