GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,453
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zamesyandext578
» Online Users: 2,327
0 members and 2,327 guests
No Members online

Old 09-29-2005, 11:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DGMarie
tables: "what does your father do for a living?"
I've actually mentioned this in another thread before.... On my campus, there actually WAS a chapter who regularly asked this question of PNMs. Completely inappropriate, and I find it offensive. What business is it of theirs?

Had I been asked that (and there were no repercussions) my answer would have been something along the lines of, "My dad is a crack-head and a pimp... But he is still nice enough to pay my tuition and sorority dues!"
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-29-2005, 12:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lindz928
I've actually mentioned this in another thread before.... On my campus, there actually WAS a chapter who regularly asked this question of PNMs. Completely inappropriate, and I find it offensive. What business is it of theirs?

Had I been asked that (and there were no repercussions) my answer would have been something along the lines of, "My dad is a crack-head and a pimp... But he is still nice enough to pay my tuition and sorority dues!"
Hahaha had you said that to me, I probably would have had to give you a bid on the spot, just for saying that.
Old 09-29-2005, 12:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
That's what I was thinking too. But if their free newsweekly is anything like ours the general attitude among the staff is Greeks are bad, people who don't surround themselves with a rainbow coalition of friends are bad, Republicans are bad blah blah. Completely left wing and written assuming that if you like going to see bands and plays and stuff like that, that is your political view. She would have probably gotten fired from her job, and if not, her coworkers would have never left her alone about it. Yes, just the attitude that people accuse sororities of having.
I think this is a bit of a reach. There's almost no chance of her getting fired from her job for this. As for her coworkers, they might have been incredulous at first but they wouldn't have given a damn after a couple days. Most of my non-Greek friends came from the sort of atmosphere you described, many of them worked/volunteered for the local weekly papers, and many of them were deeply involved with the local rock/indie/punk scenes (tattoos, piercings, mohawks and all) and none of them have ever harassed me about my choice to go Greek. Some of them were surprised at first, but I've never had anyone be rude about it -- and this is in a city where I imagine the anti-Greek sentiment runs deeper than it does down South.

As we all know, simply liking the girls isn't necessarily enough to get anyone to join. I imagine factors like feeling too old for the whole thing, being busy with the paper, or simply not being able to afford it were bigger considerations than what her coworkers would think. Grad school takes up a ton of time, especially if you have to TA or work to pay for it. I agree with IvySpice as well -- I don't think that she ever intended to accept a bid, no matter what the end result had been.

Last edited by sugar and spice; 09-29-2005 at 12:34 PM.
Old 09-29-2005, 02:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KLPDaisy
Hahaha had you said that to me, I probably would have had to give you a bid on the spot, just for saying that.
YES!!!!!! I'm in! WOO HOO!
Old 09-30-2005, 05:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lindz928
So my question.... If she DID grow to like the AXiDs so much, then WHY didn't she just accept the bid and pledge? It could have at least been worth a try. From what she said in that last sentance, and how she felt in their suite, it seems to me like it might have been good for her to go with it and SEE if it could really be something for her.
I know it said round-about figures in the article, but I'm not sure about AXiD...

Anyway, my reasoning would maybe be that for me it was $1200 my first year, and that's a lot of money to sink into something that you weren't truly planning on doing in the first place. My guess is AXiD up there is probably around $600-700 your first year... still a lot of money. Someone else can say if that's close.
Old 09-30-2005, 05:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DGMarie
You know, I thought her comments we completely hilarious. Yes, not appropriate, but come on, "Is that your natural hair color?" How many people would have loved to have asked that if there had been no repercussions? Or maybe turn the tables: "what does your father do for a living?"
As far as that question, it's a completely rude way to ask it, I'll admit, but the fact of the matter is that you want to make sure the girl can pay her dues. I mean, there's not really a tactful way to ask it, but I understand the question.
Old 09-30-2005, 05:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Ole Miss Skit parties have started...I know Phi Mu and AOII did really well with return rates. I don't know about any other chapters. Anyway, when work is over at 5pm I'm to the AOII house to help with Skit and then on to Bid Session!

GO OLE MISS!
Old 09-30-2005, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator

perhaps she did not accept her bid because accepting it would go against everything she is against. i too think it was cruel what she did to alpha xi delta for the sake of "journalism". maybe she will be able to get a job with the ny times? she seems right up their alley.
Old 09-30-2005, 06:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CarolinaDG
As far as that question, it's a completely rude way to ask it, I'll admit, but the fact of the matter is that you want to make sure the girl can pay her dues. I mean, there's not really a tactful way to ask it, but I understand the question.
Maybe, "Do you work close to campus?" or something along those lines? Maybe you'll get an answer such as, "No, I don't have to work because my parents want mt to enjoy college without stressing about money," (my roommate's response) or "No, it's on the other side of town." Do you enjoy it, do you work many nights a week, etc etc.

Maybe you could get a little more of an idea if she could pay her dues, but politeness aside because I don't know another way to say it - Isn't that her problem? Panhellenic was upfront about dues during recruitment. There was no going in blindly.
Old 10-01-2005, 12:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SDTSarah
I know that my school is a little different because we have deferred recruitment, but the PNMs get the list of dues and GPA requirements in October...a good 2 months before recruitment. I would imagine that most schools, even with fall recruitment, give this info to the PNMs before recruitment starts...? If not, I think they definitely should.

Quote:
Originally posted by MTSUGURL
Maybe you could get a little more of an idea if she could pay her dues, but politeness aside because I don't know another way to say it - Isn't that her problem? Panhellenic was upfront about dues during recruitment. There was no going in blindly.
Old 10-01-2005, 12:19 PM

I know here at Kent, 2nd day is philanthropy AND financial day. Every chapter is required to hand out and explain a sheet detailing all the financial obligations of being in the sorority. Maybe the larger Greek schools should try this too.

Lakers Nation.
Old 10-02-2005, 03:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OleMissGlitter
Ole Miss Skit parties have started...I know Phi Mu and AOII did really well with return rates. I don't know about any other chapters. Anyway, when work is over at 5pm I'm to the AOII house to help with Skit and then on to Bid Session!

GO OLE MISS!
Any Ole Miss updates?

Men too if you know 'em.
Old 10-02-2005, 07:29 PM
GreekChat Member

The young lady I wrote a rec for pledged Phi Mu.
Old 10-02-2005, 07:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to dixiephimu
I just emailed the only rushee I wrote a rec for. I know rush is hard at Ole Miss so I'm praying she got a bid from somebody and I didn't just stick my foot in my mouth.
Old 10-02-2005, 09:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Ole Miss Bid Day is over! Quota was 84! I am pretty sure all but one house made quota but I'd rather not say which one.

AOII got 84 + 2 quota additions for 86! I know that most girls got their first choice and I heard that something like 680 pledged a sorority out of 839 that were registered.

Overall it went very well and I know that all of the houses got who they want and vice versa with the potential new members!