GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 727
0 members and 727 guests
No Members online

Old 05-06-2010, 10:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Great news about Leigh. I suspect they're a number of groups excited about that possibility. That is a awesome Greek system from what I understand.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
If every single one of the "old" sisters are gone and no longer active, to me that's a recolonization - whether it happens within a year or within 50. "Reorganization" is keeping the old girls and bringing nationals in to do hardcore rushing, and most likely giving some new girls offices and such.
I think to most of NPC-land, the official difference between recolonization and reorganization is whether the chapter ever leaves, rather than if the same cohort stays or goes early alum. It's a matter of semantics though...most people know what you mean.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
If every single one of the "old" sisters are gone and no longer active, to me that's a recolonization - whether it happens within a year or within 50. "Reorganization" is keeping the old girls and bringing nationals in to do hardcore rushing, and most likely giving some new girls offices and such.
Quote:
Originally Posted by violetpretty View Post
I think to most of NPC-land, the official difference between recolonization and reorganization is whether the chapter ever leaves, rather than if the same cohort stays or goes early alum. It's a matter of semantics though...most people know what you mean.
The way I understand it, and other squirrels are welcome to correct me; is when a collegiate chapter is resolved into an alumnae chapter (same letter designation, for example Alpha was resolved into the Alpha alumnae chapter, but NOT FOR LONG!!!!! ) it will be a recolonization when the chapter reopens with collegians, and a reorganization means the chapter was not ever resolved by International Council.

So yes it is semantics, and the squirrely way we do things.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Unless you're afraid of losing your spot and never getting it back. I'm guessing that's also why AGD recolonized quickly at Ohio State as well. You have a year to recolonize without getting kicked out (for lack of a better phrase) of Panhel.
Yes! Especially if the University owns your house instead of your corp board. If a chapter closes, but the corp board still owns the house, they are more likely to be first in line for extension (especially if there is no space to build). If the university owns your house, they'll give it to a fraternity or another sorority that colonizes. Plus, Penn is an Ivy League school. NPCs everywhere want to have chapters at academically prestigious schools. I imagine that also factored into Phi Sig's reorganization decision.

The whole "5 year rule" applies more to fraternity extension because NIC groups can colonize without regard to chapter total, and in my experience, fraternities are somewhat of a revolving door. They'll get their chance again. But if a sorority closes, they don't know what the membership statistics are going to be like 5 years down the road. The campus may not be open for extension in 5 years.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Just got back from Alpha Chi Omega's extension presentation at JHU. The women were so sweet and friendly, and brought along some collegians from local chapters. I saw Pi Phi's presentation on Tuesday, and AXO had a very different feel (not in a bad way!). Both were fantastic and we would be lucky to have either group. The extension committee will have a very difficult decision! They should have a decision by the middle of next week.
Old 05-07-2010, 01:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleowl33 View Post
Just got back from Alpha Chi Omega's extension presentation at JHU. The women were so sweet and friendly, and brought along some collegians from local chapters. I saw Pi Phi's presentation on Tuesday, and AXO had a very different feel (not in a bad way!). Both were fantastic and we would be lucky to have either group. The extension committee will have a very difficult decision! They should have a decision by the middle of next week.
Agreed. The Alpha Chi women were so sweet and personable. Both presentations were different, but both "knocked it out of the park" (as the JHU Greeks facebook status said). It must be such a difficult decision. It would be cool if we could bring both orgs to campus over the next couple of years... I know there was talk of extension even before Theta left.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThetaPrincess24 View Post
Kappa Alpha Theta is colonizing at Tampa!!
I am super excited about a Theta Chapter in Tampa! I was invited to the colonization presentations, but was not able to attend because of work!
Being a charter sister of another chapter, I can't wait to get involved on the Alumnae side of things with a new chapter!

There are a number of Thetas in the Tampa bay area, a good number from FSU, UF, and some of the original charter sisters of the Delta Rho chapter at USF(Disestablished).

Does anyone know what this chapter's name will be? I didn't see it in the release!

Old 05-07-2010, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thetagirl218 View Post
I am super excited about a Theta Chapter in Tampa! I was invited to the colonization presentations, but was not able to attend because of work!
Being a charter sister of another chapter, I can't wait to get involved on the Alumnae side of things with a new chapter!

There are a number of Thetas in the Tampa bay area, a good number from FSU, UF, and some of the original charter sisters of the Delta Rho chapter at USF(Disestablished).

Does anyone know what this chapter's name will be? I didn't see it in the release!
Eta Tau I think.
Old 05-07-2010, 07:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalSquirrel View Post
The way I understand it, and other squirrels are welcome to correct me; is when a collegiate chapter is resolved into an alumnae chapter (same letter designation, for example Alpha was resolved into the Alpha alumnae chapter, but NOT FOR LONG!!!!! ) it will be a recolonization when the chapter reopens with collegians, and a reorganization means the chapter was not ever resolved by International Council.

So yes it is semantics, and the squirrely way we do things.
You are correct VS.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Semantics aside, we also recolonized very successfully at the University of Michigan in the same manner. When you own a big, beautiful house that you have to maintain, it can be good to do this. Thankfully, we've been able to rent out our houses at Michigan State and Syracuse when those chapters closed.
Old 05-08-2010, 05:34 PM

Delta Zeta has been invited to colonize at the University of Idaho.

http://www.uiargonaut.com/content/view/10303/48/

(Thank you HuskyAlumni for the link!)

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 05-09-2010, 08:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post
Delta Zeta has been invited to colonize at the University of Idaho.

http://www.uiargonaut.com/content/view/10303/48/

(Thank you HuskyAlumni for the link!)
I was just coming to do this and you scooped my own campus!

I usually read the Argonaut when it goes up late Thursday night, but I didn't and saw the print copy when we went to brunch this morning.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:30 PM

Nice article about Phi Kappa Psi's reinstatement at San Diego State University.

http://www.thedailyaztec.com/city/fr...sdsu-1.2263627

(Thank you, exlurker, for the link!)

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 05-11-2010, 02:10 PM
GreekChat Member

The JHU extension committee voted today to extend an invitation to Pi Beta Phi to colonize at Johns Hopkins in Fall 2010! I'm so excited our Monmouth Duo sisters are coming to campus!

Last edited by littleowl33; 05-11-2010 at 02:13 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Kappa Delta has been invited to be the next sorority at Florida Gulf Coast University. They will be brought on Fall 2010.