GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,459
Threads: 115,512
Welcome to our newest member, aolviatopz5295
» Online Users: 2,385
0 members and 2,385 guests
No Members online

Old 06-05-2013, 08:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AOII*Azra-elle
Appalachian State positive Greek Life work

The Greek Life Advisor sent this out to the organization advisors the other day.

http://www.theappalachianonline.com/...g-2013-figures

Fraternity and Sorority Life publishes spring 2013 figures

Created on Tuesday, 04 June 2013 05:29

Appalachian State University’s Fraternity and Sorority Life released spring 2013 figures and statistics, which indicated a break from Greek stereotypes.

The report showed success among Greek Life members in academics and community service since a retreat in January that fraternity and sorority leaders on campus attended.

“One main thing that was talked about was perception and how we wanted to be viewed as leaders on our campus and not as lazy students, or the stereotypical fraternity or sorority member,” said Appalachian Panhellenic Association President Kathryn Cannon. “With the help of many, we have met many of our benchmarks as to ‘breaking the stereotype.’”

According to the Spring 2013 Semester at a Glance report, the Greek Community raised more than $13,000 during Greek Week for a family that had lost their home in a fire earlier in the semester. Sororities alone raised $53,913.67 that was donated to area and national philanthropies, foundations and nonprofits while fraternities raised more than $18,000, according to the report.

Fraternities and sororities on campus documented more than 6,500 and 9,000 service hours respectively.

“I’m just proud of them and excited for them to feel challenged and do more and I’m really excited to see what they’re going to do in the fall,” said Becky Cooke, assistant director for Fraternity and Sorority Life. “I knew it was going to be good, but I didn’t know it was going to be that good.”

In addition to fundraising and service hours, Greek Life also listed academic achievements. Seventy-five of its members recorded a 4.0 grade point average and 32 percent of Greek Life members had a 3.5 or higher, according to the report.

“I think it speaks volumes about the students and how they’ve been able to get after it, both in the classroom and out of the classroom,” said Jamar Banks, director of Center for Student Involvement and Leadership.

This is the first semester report for Appalachian Greek Life that had been fully conducted and compiled with participation from Greek organizations in order to help document future information, Cooke said.

Cooke said the Greek stereotype will always remain regardless of the work fraternities and sororities do on campus and in the community.

“Some people want to be that ‘Animal House’ stereotype and often times they’re just not here anymore because they want to be that and they don’t do well,” she said. “They don’t succeed, they have limited numbers and they kind of fall off because they don’t provide anything to anybody other than that social atmosphere. You are what you recruit.”

Cooke, Cannon and Interfraternity Council President David Gordon said they continue to build on Appalachian’s Greek Life presence next semester.

“I believe the first step in Greek Life continuing to build a strong, positive presence on campus is our recruitment process and making sure that we continue to choose high-quality men and women from our campus,” Gordon said. “We will continue to make sure that we are taking these men and women who have the same core values that our organizations were founded on.”

Story: MICHAEL BRAGG, Editor-in-Chief
I know that she'll be there if ever I need her.
I know that our friendship is true.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-05-2013, 09:13 PM
GreekChat Member

snap, snap, snap!!!!
Old 06-06-2013, 11:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Awesome! I tried doing something like this last year, but I didn't think of sending it outside of the Greek community. *thumbs up*