GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,396
0 members and 1,396 guests
No Members online

Old 05-10-2013, 03:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Sigma Alpha Lambda vs Alpha Phi Omega

Sigma Alpha Lambda prides itself as being an honors leadership organization, Alpha Phi Omega prides itself on being service oriented. However both of these orgs seem to meander into the others' territory and some use leadership and service interchangeably, so my question is what is the DIFFERence between both orgs?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-10-2013, 03:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Is there some sort of problem between the two groups on your campus? What's going on that prompted this question?

Alpha Phi Omega isn't an honor society and doesn't have a national minimum GPA requirement, whereas Sigma Alpha Lambda requires a minimum GPA of 3.0.

Their missions overlap, but the two organizations seem to take generally different approaches. See http://salhonors.org/membership/statement-of-purpose/ and http://www.apo.org/aboutus . From my perspective, there's two significant differences. SAL places primary emphasis on academic excellence and academically-oriented service projects in the community, based on that first bullet point. Second, SAL, in their statement of purpose, doesn't take the approach of promoting leadership through service as directly as APO does.

Organizations often have overlapping missions, but they approach those missions in different ways. I think that's a good thing. It gives students a choice. We wouldn't expect men to join a single social fraternity or women to join a single social sorority--we value giving students a chance to find organizations that fit them, to at least some extent (i.e. the fraternity or sorority chooses them as well). Why shouldn't students have the same choices for other organizations? Why can't organizations have similar service initiatives, as long as they benefit the community and nonprofit partners? Should one organization have a monopoly on everything? To me, that would likely hurt the community that these organizations wish to help. There's room on the vast majority of campuses for more than one organization focusing on service and leadership development.

Service is everyone's territory, and there's room for every organization to develop service-related initiatives if they choose to do so.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingyang View Post

Service is everyone's territory, and there's room for every organization to develop service-related initiatives if they choose to do so.
Amen, somebody!
Old 05-11-2013, 05:02 PM
GreekChat Member

APO GPA requirement

I've seen APO chapters with GPA requirements, but most of them have been school imposed.

For example, any HBCUs won't let students join Fraternities and Sororities (and include APO, GSS, KKY and TBS) without a 2.5 GPA. The chapters turn in lists of who they want to pledge to the school and the school reports back who is allowed and who isn't. In some cases that GPA is previous semester, in some cases overall.

The few chapter GPA requirements that I've seen (but don't remember where) have been 2.0, and I'd recommend against a chapter raising it any higher than 2.5 at the maximum...

...and amen

Last edited by naraht; 05-11-2013 at 08:56 PM. Reason: added amen
Old 05-11-2013, 05:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamma Xi Phi View Post
Amen, somebody!
Amen, and amen.