GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,487
3 members and 2,484 guests
John, Xidelt

Old 04-29-2012, 08:32 PM
GreekChat Member

I know everyone asks "am I too old?" but I am really curious...long story short

Hello everyone, I am new here but I've been lurking the forums for a while. I'm 22 and a student at Sacramento State University (well I'm actually currently taking a semester off right now and I will come back in the Fall) and I was wondering a few things:

Are my chances shot because of my age and grade rank? Technically I am a senior based on the number of units I took at Sac State and my community college combined, but I will be there for a couple of years because I am trying to get accepted into the graphic design program (which is ultra competitive at Sac State) and is 2 years worth of upper division design classes. When I first transferred Fall 2010, I was approached by a few non NPC sororities and at the time I still felt too old, but they assured me that they accept anyone, and they've had seniors join. I'm interested in rushing for both NPC and non NPC (I'm Filipino, so the Asian and multicultural sororities are of interest to me)

Also, my GPA isn't so hot either. I have a 2.8 cumulative. I had a 3.0 my first semester, but the reason I didn't do well last year in the spring was because my dad was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer...and it took a toll on our whole family, and I had to help take care of him and my 19 year old autistic sister (who adheres to a strict schedule), and I was extremely stressed out and failed 2 classes as a result. I also had my share of health issues as well...I have lupus, and I got a bad seizure right after my finals in December, which is why I'm taking a semester off right now. I am still trying to recover completely. The good news is that I was able to pass all my classes last semester and go back on good standing after from being on academic probation because of those 2 failed classes. Would there be a chance of explaining this when I do decide to rush in the fall?

I do regret not rushing at Sac State when I was approached, and I plan on doing so before it's too late. I have nothing to lose, and I want to rush with an open mind, and even if I don't get a bid, I know there are many other opportunities for me to get involved on campus. I just also think I may have a chance because Sac State is a big commuter school so it's probably not as competitive as those southern schools. Also I have been involved in a lot of extra curricular activities at my community college (student newspaper, Campus Crusade for Christ, cheer team, graphic design studio club, etc.) and held down a few jobs, so I hope this would at least give me an advantage.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-29-2012, 09:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
You're going to get the same answer we give everyone else: a senior with a 2.8 is just not that attractive to sororities, but if you don't rush, you will get a bid with 0% probability.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanucol View Post
Hello everyone, I am new here but I've been lurking the forums for a while. I'm 22 and a student at Sacramento State University (well I'm actually currently taking a semester off right now and I will come back in the Fall) and I was wondering a few things:

Are my chances shot because of my age and grade rank? Technically I am a senior based on the number of units I took at Sac State and my community college combined, but I will be there for a couple of years because I am trying to get accepted into the graphic design program (which is ultra competitive at Sac State) and is 2 years worth of upper division design classes. When I first transferred Fall 2010, I was approached by a few non NPC sororities and at the time I still felt too old, but they assured me that they accept anyone, and they've had seniors join. I'm interested in rushing for both NPC and non NPC (I'm Filipino, so the Asian and multicultural sororities are of interest to me)

Also, my GPA isn't so hot either. I have a 2.8 cumulative. I had a 3.0 my first semester, but the reason I didn't do well last year in the spring was because my dad was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer...and it took a toll on our whole family, and I had to help take care of him and my 19 year old autistic sister (who adheres to a strict schedule), and I was extremely stressed out and failed 2 classes as a result. I also had my share of health issues as well...I have lupus, and I got a bad seizure right after my finals in December, which is why I'm taking a semester off right now. I am still trying to recover completely. The good news is that I was able to pass all my classes last semester and go back on good standing after from being on academic probation because of those 2 failed classes. Would there be a chance of explaining this when I do decide to rush in the fall?

I do regret not rushing at Sac State when I was approached, and I plan on doing so before it's too late. I have nothing to lose, and I want to rush with an open mind, and even if I don't get a bid, I know there are many other opportunities for me to get involved on campus. I just also think I may have a chance because Sac State is a big commuter school so it's probably not as competitive as those southern schools. Also I have been involved in a lot of extra curricular activities at my community college (student newspaper, Campus Crusade for Christ, cheer team, graphic design studio club, etc.) and held down a few jobs, so I hope this would at least give me an advantage.

However, consider that a senior with a 2.8 (barely above the min for some chapters) may not be that attractive to a chapter. Just because it's "not the South" doesn't mean that chapters can compromise on academics.

Also, are you graduating soon? A lot of chapters would rather fill a spot with someone who's going to be around longer. Even if you're not immediately graduating, chapters can be wary of seniors because sometimes they join thinking they want it, then they realize how busy they are with other things and disappear. Thus wasting the chapter's time. I think this may be even moreso with commuter school chapters because they aren't huge and they need women who are going to BE there.

Another area of potential concern: you just named off this whole list of things that caused you to get poor grades because you couldn't focus on school. Are those things still an issue? Will you actually be able to participate?

By all means try. It is worth a shot, because if you don't try, you'll never know. At worst, you don't get bid. At least you won't have to wonder what would have been.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 04-29-2012 at 09:26 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Yeah I'm not immediately graduating (2014 is when I probably will graduate) because the graphic design program makes you take 2 years. Even though all the units I've taken declares me as senior status, the first year in the program are junior level classes.

As far as my issues, well my dad is in a much better state now than last year and is getting all the treatment he can. And I am getting all the treatment I can too to recover from everything.

I'm going to repeat the 2 classes I failed not just to impress a sorority, but I also want to just raise my overall GPA for scholarship opportunities and stuff like that. Plus they were lower division requirements for my major, and you are allowed to repeat them or take them during junior or senior year since they were lecture classes (I had 2 take 2 studio classes that were an absolute requirement for turning in your portfolio, and luckily I passed those!)

But yeah, thank you guys for being honest with me. It's something I seriously need to consider because I have to take into account my health and stress levels, and the graphic design program is already very intense to the point where the professors don't recommend you even have a job while in the program! I appreciate the feedback
Old 04-29-2012, 09:39 PM

^^^Definitely consider whether you have what it takes to be Greek AND be in a design major.

Lakers Nation.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
^^^Definitely consider whether you have what it takes to be Greek AND be in a design major.
I have know several men and women who are both Greek and in a design major. It's doable, but there is definitely some added stress due to the hectic/demanding nature of the program at times. If you struggle to keep your grades up and be successful in your program already, you may need to rethink things or adjust your priorities.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:03 PM

^^No, I know it's doable (my BFF and house roomie majored in Graphic Design), but if you struggle with grades without Greek Life, it's hard to say to a chapter that you'll be able to do so if you get a bid.

Lakers Nation.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
^^No, I know it's doable (my BFF and house roomie majored in Graphic Design), but if you struggle with grades without Greek Life, it's hard to say to a chapter that you'll be able to do so if you get a bid.
That's what I meant. Thanks for putting it into the right words.