GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,151
4 members and 2,147 guests
Cookiez17, PGD-GRAD

Old 08-15-2007, 09:56 PM
GreekChat Member

My daughter and her roommate finished their rush week at the University of Southern Mississippi yesterday. They are both very tired, but extremely happy.

My daughter is now a very excited new member of Delta Gamma and her roommate is a Kappa Delta.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-15-2007, 10:45 PM

Random hijack - I'm always happy when girls pledge 2 letter chapters! I know there's been so many times when I get "Sigma Kappa what? Don't you have a third letter? Why don't you have a third letter? Are you jealous of groups with a third letter?"

/hijack
Old 08-15-2007, 11:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldrusheenowmom View Post
Next question- after day one, niece was told to list top favorites and rank bottom four- found that odd; would think you would rank tops?? any feedback
I'll clarify this because I know your neice is going through at Mizzou- in years past, PNMs wouldn't rank after they visited the chapters at the end of the day. Instead, they would meet with their Pi Chis at about 6 am, receive their invites for the day, and choose to which houses they return. This took awhile, and it was always a little embarrassing for the girls who didn't have as many choices, because their slips of paper were noticeably smaller than the other girls'.

With this new system, the girls are still cutting 13 chapters down to 9- but this way, they don't have to get up early, because Panhel can easily match them up with their top 9. If any of those chapters don't invite them back, then they pull from the bottom 4 they ranked. This way, no one has to get up so early, Panhel has more than just a few hours to put everything in the computer and get everyone's schedules, and it usually saves the PNMs from having a list of chapters that is waaay shorter than their neighbors.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:34 AM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
Quote:
Originally Posted by usm mom View Post
My daughter and her roommate finished their rush week at the University of Southern Mississippi yesterday. They are both very tired, but extremely happy.

My daughter is now a very excited new member of Delta Gamma and her roommate is a Kappa Delta.
Congrats to your daughter and her friend. I added them to this list
Old 08-16-2007, 07:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by usm mom View Post

Congratulations to your daughter and her roommate! Fun times ahead!
Old 08-16-2007, 01:20 PM
GreekChat Member

USM Mom I sent you a private message. Thanks and congrats to your daughter and her friend.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:06 PM
GreekChat Member

My daughter called today and got called back to 3 at WSU. She could have been called to 6 so she was a little upset. Her top choice didn't call her back
Old 08-16-2007, 02:54 PM
Super Moderator

wmac, i hope that you daughter was able to enjoy herself at the houses she was invited back to, and that she now has a new favorite!
Old 08-20-2007, 06:53 PM
GreekChat Member

I was at FSU this weekend watching my daughter's sorority's skit dress rehearsal and I realized I haven't been on Greek Chat in forever. At one time, I was addicted. Now, it seems strange that this is my daughter's final year as an active. It has been such a wonderful experience for her and we have had the opportunity to meet so many of her dear sisters over the past three years. I hope they will be her life for years to come.

New moms, I think back to how stressful rush week was for my daughter but know that even if she hadn't gotten her first choice, she would have been happy in several of the other houses.
Old 09-16-2007, 02:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Bid day is tomorrow for my daughter at UW. I am planning on sending her flowers at her new house...is that a good idea or shoud it be something else? Does anyone know of a good source in Seattle?
Old 09-16-2007, 03:28 AM
GreekChat Member

UW mom, yes flowers are a great idea. First check and see what her sorority's official flower is and send her something with those in it.

My house was the red carnation, which we were never too excited about, so my mom sent me flowers with red carnations and then assorted purple and gold flowers.

I'm not too sure about a good flower source. Ballard Blossom is near by, i hear they have some nice things.
Old 09-16-2007, 04:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXOUW View Post
My house was the red carnation, which we were never too excited about, so my mom sent me flowers with red carnations and then assorted purple and gold flowers.
Blasphemy!!!
Old 09-16-2007, 09:44 AM
GreekChat Member

I send flowers to my daughter for every special occasion and she loves receiving them and loves her sisters seeing that she receives them.

Congrats to your daughter.
Old 09-16-2007, 10:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to deadbear80
Quote:
Originally Posted by UW Husky mom View Post
Bid day is tomorrow for my daughter at UW. I am planning on sending her flowers at her new house...is that a good idea or shoud it be something else? Does anyone know of a good source in Seattle?
When I pledged Delta Gamma, my Mom sent me cream colored roses (and had the florist put bronze, pink, and blue ribbons on the vase!) and did the same for my Kappa Kappa Gamma roommate. We both thought it was awesome (and a lot of girls on our freshman floor from various chapters were jealous!) and it's a great way to show your daughter that you're proud of her.

I think it touched me a lot also because I did not join the chapter I was a legacy at and it showed me how happy my Mom was for me anyway.
Old 09-16-2007, 10:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to beebadger
Can I ask a new question of you experienced moms? My daughter went through recruitment last year and didn't get invited back to her 2 top choices. She wasn't sure if she wanted to join a sorority at all, so dropped out after 2nd parties. She then went through COB at the sorority she was a legacy at. For various reasons, she decided not to accept their bid or join any sorority at the time. Now she is rushing again this year and still likes this house the best. She was invited back to 2nd parties there today, but finds out tomorrow if she is invited to the 3rd (there are 4 parties total). Do you think her decision to decline their COB bid last year will affect her chances to get a bid this year?